Its Queen Anne then

Solent Richard

34 minutes ago, MCC retired said:

Question for you UK posters?

Who the heck was Queen Ann and why would she deserve recognition of name a ship after her ?

I like Mauritania myself .

Anne was one of the few queens to reign in her own right rather than being the king’s wife. Just like Victoria and both Elizabeths.

BTW the ship’s name is Mauretania (which Carnival have registered as a trade mark), ignore what autocorrect is telling you. 

Edited by kentchris
  • Like 2

Guest SilverHengroen
16 minutes ago, MCC retired said:

Question for you UK posters?

Who the heck was Queen Ann and why would she deserve recognition of name a ship after her ?

I like Mauritania myself .

The last monarch of the Stuart Dynasty, and Queen when the United Kingdom was formed in 1707. By all accounts a bit cantankerous, though! There have actually only been 6 undisputed Queens regnant in English-British history (Scotland is slightly different as the two monarchies were separate until the Tudors died out and were replaced by the Scottish Stuarts in England as well) They were:

Queen Mary I

Queen Elizabeth I

Queen Mary II 

Queen Anne

Queen Victoria

Queen Elizabeth II

A further two (Matilda of England and Jane Grey) are not fully recognised. 

So Anne is the final unused name from previous British Monarchs (though notably the first Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth were named for the wives of Kings, and there are many more of those e.g Berengaria, Alexandra, Caroline, Charlotte, Adelaide). 

I believe there's also an architectural/ interior design style called Queen Anne, which they could draw some inspiration from for the interior if they so wished. 

On 5/7/2020 at 8:37 AM, SilverHengroen said:

The last monarch of the Stuart Dynasty, and Queen when the United Kingdom was formed in 1707. By all accounts a bit cantankerous, though! There have actually only been 6 undisputed Queens regnant in English-British history (Scotland is slightly different as the two monarchies were separate until the Tudors died out and were replaced by the Scottish Stuarts in England as well) They were:

Queen Mary I

Queen Elizabeth I

Queen Mary II 

Queen Anne

Queen Victoria

Queen Elizabeth II

A further two (Matilda of England and Jane Grey) are not fully recognised. 

So Anne is the final unused name from previous British Monarchs (though notably the first Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth were named for the wives of Kings, and there are many more of those e.g Berengaria, Alexandra, Caroline, Charlotte, Adelaide). 

I believe there's also an architectural/ interior design style called Queen Anne, which they could draw some inspiration from for the interior if they so wished. 

Just for confusion -- the Queen Anne architectural style came forward towards the end of Queen Victoria's era, and long after Queen Anne the monarch had passed from this mortal coil. Queen Anne was closer in time to Shakespeare's era than Queen Victoria's reign.

54 minutes ago, arabrab said:

Queen Anne architectural style came forward towards the end of Queen Victoria's era, and long after Queen Anne the monarch had passed from this mortal coil.

Not in the UK, if a building is described as Queen Anne here that's when it was built. 

• Like 2

On 5/7/2020 at 3:37 PM, SilverHengroen said:

The last monarch of the Stuart Dynasty, and Queen when the United Kingdom was formed in 1707.

Just to be pedantic and cause further confusion,  the Kingdom of Great Britain was formed in 1707. The United Kingdom didn’t come along until 1801, becoming The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland in 1922.

Guest SilverHengroen
1 hour ago, arabrab said:

Just for confusion -- the Queen Anne architectural style came forward towards the end of Queen Victoria's era, and long after Queen Anne the monarch had passed from this mortal coil. Queen Anne was closer in time to Shakespeare's era than Queen Victoria's reign.

From a quick Wikipediaing it seems what you say is correct in the US, it’s a much later style that’s called Queen Anne despite little practical connection. In the UK it is the style in vogue around the time of her reign, though. To my (very much untrained) eye it looks more or less indistinguishable from what I’d call ‘Georgian’ (I suppose Georgian would have evolved on immediately from this!) symmetrical facades with big sash windows etc. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Anne_style_architecture

can’t see a lot for interior styling (presumably also quite similar to Georgian/ Adams?) but there’s some chairs here that I’m sure would look grand in the restaurants! 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Anne_style_furniture