Did you feel it was worth it to stop in Progreso?

• 2 weeks later...

If you are interested in seeing Mayan ruins, a colonial city (Merida), or doing flea market shopping, then the answer is yes.  If you are wanting the clear blue/green water of the Caribbean the answer is no.  The beach is nice and sandy, but the water is nothing like you will see in Cozumel.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

We were in Progreso over Spring Break 2019.  Our private group excursion to the ruins of Uxmal is my favorite cruise excursion EVER.  (It even beats our memorable dolphin swim in Grand Cayman years ago.). My parents had gifted their children & grandchildren the family cruise, and my mother was insistent that she wanted to see ruins.  We customized our Progreso excursion to fit our needs, and Raul (our guide) and Martin (our driver) did not disappoint.  

Do I need to return to Progreso?  Not really.  Although I do understand that Merida is a lovely town to visit, I never shop while in ports.

https://lawsonsyucatanexcursions.com

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Merida is definitely worth a visit if you are interested at all in seeing the historic area, the cathedral and other churches, and grand parks...We were lucky enough to attend a mass in the Cathedral while visiting from Playa and it was amazing...

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

We did the excursion to Uxmal but you can also do the excursion to Chichen Itza.  BOTH are the most incredible examples of the Ancient Mayan culture in our hemisphere.  Either one is a fantastic choice.  We have done both and they are the main reason we chose this port.

here's my video from a few years ago: