Double Standard

wesport

It is only May, and I see hundreds of people at bars throughout the United States. Hundreds of people at beaches throughout the United States. IMHO, I hope Seabourn sticks to their schedule of sailing at the end of this year with new health protocols in place. I have been on only three Seabourn cruises, but never remember any area being so crowded(except for the champagne and caviar party), where you couldn't social distance.  To the best of my knowledge, I don't believe there was any instance of covid-19 on a Seabourn ship.  Now, a lot will depends on what ports are open, but its so sad to see the cruise lines virtually going out of business as the United States gets back to business. Again, just my opinion.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wesport said:

but its so sad to see the cruise lines virtually going out of business as the United States gets back to business.

I think it’s a little early for this sentiment - the immediate future is unknown.

One medical expert predicted the possibility of a “darkest winter” we have ever known.

Let’s hope for the best.

• Like 1

Look, I love to travel. But would you really risk going on a cruise and having a person get sick in the middle of the trip and then having the ship get shut down and refused entry for 3 weeks while trapped at sea and confined to your room? This just happened only a month or two ago on multiple ships. Unless they can have an effective testing regimen and an effective treatment or vaccine I just can’t see them able to risk sailing. 

What do meat packing plants, cruise ships, prisons and retirement homes have in common? They all have had high incidents of infections. Why? Close quarters with lots of people breathing the same air. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, wesport said:

I have been on only three Seabourn cruises, but never remember any area being so crowded(except for the champagne and caviar party), where you couldn't social distance.

Dining tables, elevators, and halls are all places where it is notpossible to remain 6 feet apart. One short hallway on the Quest was so narrow that most people yielded to oncoming traffic.

I find locally that people who can physically distance at the supermarket do not always do so. There is no way I will cruise any time soon.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Mark56 said:

What do meat packing plants, cruise ships, prisons and retirement homes have in common? They all have had high incidents of infections. Why? Close quarters with lots of people breathing the same air. 

Hospitals as well.  How ill would you have to be - cut finger, sprained ankle, broken arm, a new lump somewhere, heart attack, stroke -  - before you went to one?

7 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Hospitals as well.  How ill would you have to be - cut finger, sprained ankle, broken arm, a new lump somewhere, heart attack, stroke -  - before you went to one?

That is such an irresponsible thing to say. Hospitals, at least UK ones, have been very strict and successful at keeping Covid and non-Covid areas entirely separate. Indeed there are entire non-Covid hospitals within Health Trusts which are treating as normal and carrying out surgical lists. Comments like this serve only to scare people  into keeping away from hospital, quite unnecessarily, when they genuinely need treatment. It is an unkind thing which you do.

Rp

• Like 5

I was one of the ones thrown off the ship in Adelaide, a week early.  We were friendly with a lovely couple and there were big hugs all around when we parted on that Monday.  They stayed on the ship until Tuesday. The following Monday, they began having symptoms.  She made it; he didn't.  Now, it is possible they picked up Covid in the Adelaide airport or on their flight home.  Given the typical incubation period for the virus, however, it would not be altogether surprising if it started brewing on the Encore.  But who knows?

Linda

8 hours ago, rosepark said:

That is such an irresponsible thing to say. Hospitals, at least UK ones, have been very strict and successful at keeping Covid and non-Covid areas entirely separate. Indeed there are entire non-Covid hospitals within Health Trusts which are treating as normal and carrying out surgical lists. Comments like this serve only to scare people  into keeping away from hospital, quite unnecessarily, when they genuinely need treatment. It is an unkind thing which you do.

Rp

I am sorry if I upset you.  All I did was to paraphrase what has been said on the BBC and other news outlets for several days now: that people are scared of going to hospital, that elderly patients with the virus have been discharged from hospitals directly to care homes without being tested.  Doctors are now fearful of a 'cancer time bomb' because people are reluctant to get various abnormalities investigated.   It is a worrying situation.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, whystayhome said:

I was one of the ones thrown off the ship in Adelaide, a week early.  We were friendly with a lovely couple and there were big hugs all around when we parted on that Monday.  They stayed on the ship until Tuesday. The following Monday, they began having symptoms.  She made it; he didn't.  Now, it is possible they picked up Covid in the Adelaide airport or on their flight home.  Given the typical incubation period for the virus, however, it would not be altogether surprising if it started brewing on the Encore.  But who knows?

Linda

That is terrible news. We were supposed to be on that cruise as well but cancelled.

As you say - who knows.

Could as well have been caught in the airport.   Were they required to wear masks and gloves when they left the ship?   Passengers in the U.S. debark if were required to wear both however, once on buses to the airport they discarded both and exposed everyone at the airport and in the planes to Covid and exposed themselves to catching the same virus.   Excess weight and the illnesses from this (diabetes, cardio problems) are guaranteeing a bad outcome.   I wonder the % of passengers on cruises with those underlying conditions.   If we add pulmonary and immune deficiencies the percentage is higher.

6 hours ago, whystayhome said:

Linda

Linda we were also on that cruise leaving through Adelaide Airport onto Melbourne Airport to fly back to NZ

Very few people wore  masks anywhere and no troubles for us

We flew Adelaide to Melbourne to LAX to Washington DC.  At no time did anyone screen us for symptoms.  Did not see very many if any at all wearing masks or gloves. We were fine, except for being tired, disappointed, and very jet lagged.  Now, of course, we wear masks whenever we go out.

Linda