Should I cancel our aug cruise

Since there cancelling July cruises were booked on symphony for two weeks in aug should I just cancel it we didn’t book flights yet to avoid dealing with the airlines but I heard when they start up cruising they will do it slowly with smaller ships first test the waters what are your thoughts 

If you dont want to wait for rcl to cancel, you could and take the fcc for your deposit or move it to another date or lift and switch.

Carnival is only sailing 8 ships out of 3 ports in august so good chance rcl will cancel eventually

16 minutes ago, ljason913 said:

Since there cancelling July cruises were booked on symphony for two weeks in aug should I just cancel it we didn’t book flights yet to avoid dealing with the airlines but I heard when they start up cruising they will do it slowly with smaller ships first test the waters what are your thoughts 

They will start slowly.  Not necessarily smaller ships.  I would think the opposite as there is more passenger space on the larger ships. 

11 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

They will start slowly.  Not necessarily smaller ships.  I would think the opposite as there is more passenger space on the larger ships. 

I listened in and he did mention smaller ships first 

14 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

What easier taking care of though a 1000 people on a ship that holds cabin for 2000 people or a ship that built for 5000 people carrying 2500 people.( I'm assuming passenger totals for the sailings will be 50%.

Chances of catching virus might be less too with fewer people onboard.

I assume each ship has just about the same amount of medical people on board.

I think I would take my chances on a  smaller ship.

They way I see it you have 3 options.

1. Straight cancel (assuming you are fully refundable)

2. Lift/shift into next year

3. Make final payment, wait for cancel, and hope for a 125% credit to apply to bring cost down for next year.  Since you have not bought airfare yet you can wait on that till very close in.

It all comes down to if you can afford to tie up the funds for the sailing for almost a year or not to take option 3

7 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

What easier taking care of though a 1000 people on a ship that holds cabin for 2000 people or a ship that built for 5000 people carrying 2500 people.( I'm assuming passenger totals for the sailings will be 50%.

Chances of catching virus might be less too with fewer people onboard.

I assume each ship has just about the same amount of medical people on board.

I think I would take my chances on a  smaller ship.

If you run with 50% load factor in each case it is still more space per passenger on the larger ship and a lot easier to social distance. Also since a lot of ports will be out there is more to do on the large ships.  Also nothing stopping them from maybe going with 1500 on a large ship .  Larger ships have Had a much larger medical staff In the past. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

If you run with 50% load factor in each case it is still more space per passenger on the larger ship and a lot easier to social distance.

It's the care from medical staff I would be worried about...........going to be the same amount of doctors and nurses on each ship.

Social distancing in a cabin is the same no matter what ship you are on when you are quarantined after the first person gets sick...........so what does open spaces on a large ship really mean? You won't be allowed out of your cabin on the first hint of an issue.............I take my chances with less people.

Edited by Jimbo

7 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

not true

Well....it is only an assumption 😉

An assumption that can be extended 😉 maybe previous break even model/published info doesn't not take into account additional costs around covid-19 activities......like

cleaning efforts/supplies during sailings

decon between sailings

personnel requirements to support screening at various ports of calls

Unknown/TBD costs that may be assessed at various ports of call

2 minutes ago, dodgestang said:

Well....it is only an assumption 😉

An assumption that can be extended 😉 maybe previous break even model/published info doesn't not take into account additional costs around covid-19 activities......like

cleaning efforts/supplies during sailings

decon between sailings

personnel requirements to support screening at various ports of calls

Unknown/TBD costs that may be assessed at various ports of call

The corporate executive literally discussed this just now. Whatsmore they discussed that fleet departures would certainly accelerate due to the pandemic.

29 minutes ago, dodgestang said:

They way I see it you have 3 options.

1. Straight cancel (assuming you are fully refundable)

2. Lift/shift into next year

3. Make final payment, wait for cancel, and hope for a 125% credit to apply to bring cost down for next year.  Since you have not bought airfare yet you can wait on that till very close in.

It all comes down to if you can afford to tie up the funds for the sailing for almost a year or not to take option 3

Option 4, you can move any cruise even with nonrefundable deposit to another date without penalty

7 hours ago, ljason913 said:

We are just letting our cruises ride and wait for the cruise line to cancel them and taking the cancellation compensation. At then end of the day, if the cruise ends up going on schedule, we'll pay a bit more for airfare.