Ncl new covid19 response. Good planning.

cementhands

10 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

I think it was the RCCL CEO that said that he could run an Oasis class ship @ 30% and break even (2000ish passengers). But, cruise lines aren't in business to break even. If they are running a small number of ships, they have to run well above break even to cover the costs of the ships sitting in port. 

I agree but they need to get moving somewhere.

5 hours ago, bmwman said:

I agree but they need to get moving somewhere.

At this juncture, I think they’d be happy to have a ship break even and not burn through cash.  Then, they can get back to making money.  Stem the flow of outgoing money is probably what all the cruise lines are thinking right now.

20 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Even when the fire doors are closed, you are able to open them, so you could not actually make the decks "inacessible".

You can also open almost every door with a sign "crew only". They are tecnically also acessible but it almost never happens that a passenger opens them and checks whats behind. I guess the same will happen if you explain the situation to the passengers,close these doors and mark them with a sign.

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

At this juncture, I think they’d be happy to have a ship break even and not burn through cash.  Then, they can get back to making money.  Stem the flow of outgoing money is probably what all the cruise lines are thinking right now.

I agree. And have people regain confidence. They may have to run at a loss or break even initially but if that's what it takes to get up and running again, that makes sense. 

• Like 1

It's very similar to the restaurant industry. Some will/have opened up - willing to serve a reduced capacity just to be open again even if they loose money. Others have chosen to just stay closed until things shake out a little. Why open if they are not going to at least break even. Whichever cruise line jumps in first will be watched closely - not just for infection, but for procedures, capacity and destinations.

They may lose money by sailing at a fraction of capacity, just not as much.  They'll ease into this sooner rather than later.  Plus, those first cruises will be very visible as that will either give other cruisers more confidence to book, or keep them away from booking.  I predict every cruise line is going to be at the top of their game with those first cruises.

On 6/2/2020 at 6:24 AM, phillyguy31 said:

NCL can only do so much, it will also fall on every guest to ensure they are doing the right things as well both on and off ship.

Scary to rely on guests.  There's always a few bad apples.  How many of us have witnessed people using the bathroom and not washing their hands?

• Like 2

On 6/2/2020 at 2:57 PM, Laszlo said:

Nothing in life is 100%, nothing is foolproof. They will hopefully do their best along with everyone else. Chances will be taken for those who go

Life is the Alamo writ large, no one gets out alive but let’s not die every day.

• Like 1