Mini Suite question/Sailaway

Oldgoat61

We are considering a cruise on the Pearl, and looking at the mini suite "Sailaway/Gty" category.  We have never considered this category before, but we are now.  What are the advantages, and the disadvantages.  I know you don't get to pick your cabin, and you lose most of the perks, but this is not a big concern for us because we are Platinum+.  To those that have experienced this category, what insight can you give?  Thanks in advance.

If location on the ship isn’t any big deal, go for it.  Not sure how bad the location for the Mini Suites could be....2ndly, been pricing NCL Escape lately, it appears they have changed the names of the mini suite cabins...club something maybe? 

Right, Mini suites are now called Club Balcony Suites.  IMO, they're just glorified balconies.  There are only a few advantages IMO.  These cabins are slightly larger than regular balconies, which is nice; however, the BRs include a bathtub/shower combo, a disadvantage IMO.  

If I was looking for something with a bit more room, I'd look at the aft balconies. While the interior space is regular, the balcony (deck 10) are quite a nice size. You'd likely get at least 1 lounger, if not 2.  

The only real disadvantage to the CBSs could be the location. If you ended up with a cabin below a noisy venue it might detract from your pleasant experience, but hey, it's a cruise.  Hope you enjoy, have a wonderful cruise. 

Edited by All-ready2cruise

1 hour ago, Oldgoat61 said:

I know you don't get to pick your cabin,

And that, imho, is a huge negative, especially for the mini-suites (now called Club Balcony suites) on the Pearl (and other Jewel class ships).  They are on Deck 11, under the noisy and potentially noisy public spaces on Deck 12, including the pool deck, the fitness center, bars, and the buffet.  YMMV, but I value my time and money too much to allow someone else to pick my cabin location, especially in a situation like this.

One thing that's unclear from the Pearl Deck Plans: they show a separate category, MX, for the Sailaway Club Balcony Suites, with just a handful of them in the "aft" and specifying they are in the aft. You might want to clarify with NCL whether these are the only cabins into which you could be assigned, or whether you could be assigned to any of the mini-suites on Deck 11. 

I agree with the comment above about the bathroom in the mini-suites being a negative.  There's a tub/shower combo, not a separate shower.  The tub wall is VERY high, and a challenge to get over if you are short or have any mobility issues, or if the ship is moving, as ships tend to do.   The tub itself is too narrow to be of use to adults, imho.

Enjoy whatever you decide!

• Like 1

We have sailed in mini-suites (now called club balcony) on Gem, Jade and Pearl. We always were very careful in cabin selection. These cabins are all located on deck 11, but deck 12 is fraught with noisy areas from the pools to the buffet galley to the fitness center. I'd be very uncomfortable tossing the dice on which cabin I received. 

If you think noise from above will not inconvenience you go for it, otherwise pass. 

Thanks all for your input.  We have sailed a mini suite on the Gem a few years ago, we were below the pool (which on our cruise wasn't bad), and we were able to pick our cabin.  I was hoping to get some feedback for cabins underneath the gym, buffet, and other possible trouble spots.  I have the same misgivings that many of you expressed.  We enjoy aft-facing cabins as well, but the price for those are way to high at this point....so we will go with category "BA".  Thanks again!

• Like 1

We had a minisuite on the Jewel, under the area between the buffet and the pool area.  We could hear them re-arranging (dragging) furniture on the deck above in the evening (after 9/10:00).  We didn't choose our stateroom, it was an upgrade in the days before the bidding process.

21 hours ago, Oldgoat61 said:

We are considering a cruise on the Pearl, and looking at the mini suite "Sailaway/Gty" category.  We have never considered this category before, but we are now.  What are the advantages, and the disadvantages.  I know you don't get to pick your cabin, and you lose most of the perks, but this is not a big concern for us because we are Platinum+.  To those that have experienced this category, what insight can you give?  Thanks in advance.

There is no difference except price.  We have done sailaway bookings many times, and have never had an issue.  Always good cabins in good locations.  All mini-suites are the same regardless.  The price savings are significant.  Dont hesitate.

53 minutes ago, brovol said:

There is no difference except price.  We have done sailaway bookings many times, and have never had an issue.  Always good cabins in good locations.  All mini-suites are the same regardless.  The price savings are significant.  Dont hesitate.

No, they are not always in good locations.  We were upgraded from a balcony to a mini-suite on the Gem a couple of years ago.  Great, right?  Nope.  Almost every morning, at the crack of dawn, we were awakened by the dragging of pool chairs above our cabin.  Never again will we take a chance on any location under the pool deck.

We are booked in a “Club Balcony” mini suite on the Jade in April 2021 Tampa to NY. We chose the last aft cabin on the starboard side before the aft rear cabins. This is below the back corner of the Garden Cafe. I thought I had read that the noise isn’t too bad in this spot. Does anyone have any experience on one of the Jewel class ships in this cabin: MB 11136?

FABF5B6D-265E-4937-9601-98B917E40055.jpeg

097C0BA2-AA2B-4BAA-B8C0-12A53D2CD395.png

Edited by kismet618