If Oceania cancels your cruise....

Mrs f.

7 minutes ago, Mrs f. said:

If Oceania cancels your cruise due to Covid-19, do they give you anything extra towards rebooking  a future cruise?

The answer is right on Oceania's website. If you click on "Travelers Assurance Program", which is found right at the top of the Oceania home page you'll be directed to this page https://www.oceaniacruises.com/coronavirus-statement , which explains that if you'll get a future cruise credit of 125% of the fare . If instead you want a cash refund you get 100% of the fare refunded.

This can change at any time if and when the cancellations are extended to additional dates beyond July 31, 2020.

Be interesting to see if they start extending the “must be used by date” currently 12/21.  Some may accumulate enough FCC where it might be difficult to use it up particularly the longer the stoppage goes on.

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

Be interesting to see if they start extending the “must be used by date” currently 12/21.  Some may accumulate enough FCC where it might be difficult to use it up particularly the longer the stoppage goes on.

All the more reason to take a cash refund rather than FCC.

26 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

All the more reason to take a cash refund rather than FCC.

Which is what we have done but for bankruptcy and the unknown future cruise experience concerns.

Edited by KirkNC
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, trainman50 said:

I wasn’t given a choice. They just gave me the FCC. Don’t know how I can possibly use all of it as we have lost our house sitter.
Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If Oceania cancelled the cruise and not you before they did, then you are entitled to the choices posted above - either 100% cash/CC refund or 125% FCC. Was there a date by which you had to make that choice as there sometimes could be and if you missed it then the default option is FCC.

If that is not the case, contact your TA (if you booked through a TA) or O directly ASAP and make your point - politely but firmly.

Edited by Paulchili

I was on the 2020 ATW and as we all know Oceania cancelled it in Rio. I don’t remember being told anything about how to get our refund.  Just that we would get a refund or FCC.  It cost me about $6,700 to book my return flights. No help from Oceania. Plus the substantial excess luggage fee from the airlines of almost $600. Again no help from Oceania. 

10 minutes ago, trainman50 said:

I was on the 2020 ATW and as we all know Oceania cancelled it in Rio. I don’t remember being told anything about how to get our refund.  Just that we would get a refund or FCC.  It cost me about $6,700 to book my return flights. No help from Oceania. Plus the substantial excess luggage fee from the airlines of almost $600. Again no help from Oceania. 

Were you already aboard in Rio or just getting ready to board.

IIRC, those onboard received some info in their cabin about what would happen with cancellations and what their options were. If you were not onboard you might not have gotten that info?

• Like 1

Of course I was onboard it was the ATW not a segment. The last 36 hours was so hectic how anyone could remember what was happening is beyond me. My credit card had been hacked, I’m trying to get 8 bags packed and make airlines reservations, no help from Oceania, then finding a hotel room, again no help from Oceania, I simply was in shock and no idea what went on except that we were being dumped in Rio. 

1 hour ago, trainman50 said:

Of course I was onboard it was the ATW not a segment. The last 36 hours was so hectic how anyone could remember what was happening is beyond me. My credit card had been hacked, I’m trying to get 8 bags packed and make airlines reservations, no help from Oceania, then finding a hotel room, again no help from Oceania, I simply was in shock and no idea what went on except that we were being dumped in Rio. 

That is  sad  that you were overwhelmed   but no need to be rude to those trying to help & understand your  situation

Maybe someone on the same cruise with the same issues  will pipe up

6 hours ago, trainman50 said:

a thread  on the World  cruise cancellation

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2743651-anyone-know-what-happened-to-atw20/

Thank you. I love Oceania ships and crew but I and my travel agent struggle with the rest. I’m just going to write it off as a very bad $100,000 decision on my part. Oceania is going to reap the benefits. 

2 minutes ago, trainman50 said:

Thank you. I love Oceania ships and crew but I and my travel agent struggle with the rest. I’m just going to write it off as a very bad $100,000 decision on my part. Oceania is going to reap the benefits. 

I wonder how they managed to miss off you getting air credit that someone mentioned getting on the thread that was posted. Especially seeing as you were on the whole voyage. Maybe as you said it was very hectic you missed a vital piece of information. 

2 hours ago, trainman50 said:

This is what cbb posted on the WC segment that you were on:

Some weeks before the cancellation on March 13 we had received info from O (at the bottom of the bed!) stating how much $ we would receive if we left the ship in Cape Town and the formula used to arrive at that $ amount.  Using that formula for each cabin level you could ascertain what you should receive.

When the cruise was very unexpectedly ended on March 13 and the passengers left the ship on March 15, we were given a full refund for the unused portion of our cruise or 125% FCC.  We have not received that full refund yet.

It would seem that the discussion about cutting the cruise short was not just last minute and the choice of refund vs FCC was given.

Edited by Paulchili

2 hours ago, trainman50 said:

Maybe your TA can ask  for a refund  since you did not understand  the options you had ?

On 6/16/2020 at 12:05 AM, trainman50 said:

I wasn’t given a choice. They just gave me the FCC. Don’t know how I can possibly use all of it as we have lost our house sitter.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You should have had a choice if they canceled the cruise

Jancruz1