Some Good News

pinotlover

Was just talking to my TA about this as my (non) payment penalties will be kicking in soon.  The word from Oceania is that they have changed the final payment date for cruises that are 21 days or more. Ours is 20 days, so no luck! Doesn't seem right somehow...

I would like to have some more time to see how the world is evolving with COVID 19 infections. As it is, I have no stomach to proceed past our penalty date as the number of infections in South America is pretty high and at this point, I don't see that resolving. Even with the possibility of a vaccine, there is no guarantee of its efficacy as reports that post infection immunity is low and not long lasting, never mind being able to access the vaccine in the first place.

Too many worms in this can!

Mia

Mia;

When are you planning on cruising? I saw that Buenos Areas was 12C today. Do you believe that it will be that in 6.5 months when we’re supposed to sail ( their summer)! Do you predict everything to just remain static in the world? 

I personally believe that the conditions will be very different come late Jan 2021. I’m certainly  not cancelling cruises now for future dates. A lot will evolve between now and then!

On the bright side, it appears Crystal is going to start sailing soon in the Carribe! 

40 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

On the bright side, it appears Crystal is going to start sailing soon in the Carribe! 

It will be interesting to see how many people will be willing to pay Crystal prices to cruise in the Carib in the summer.

3 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

It will be interesting to see how many people will be willing to pay Crystal prices to cruise in the Carib in the summer.

Maybe they will have some good deals  for those  that want to give Crystal  a try  😉

They will not have to worry about  paying for drinks  onboard  & more entertainment than on O  😉

People actually stay up past 9 pm 

We have a final payment due mid Aug, with no penalty, for a cruise on Dec 20...we will not be making the final payment...

really too bad...love to be on a cruise ship for new years...but I am sure it will be cancelled anyway...

will want my deposit back rather than an FCC...those are really meaningless for me...

37 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

We have a final payment due mid Aug, with no penalty, for a cruise on Dec 20...we will not be making the final payment...

really too bad...love to be on a cruise ship for new years...but I am sure it will be cancelled anyway...

will want my deposit back rather than an FCC...those are really meaningless for me...

Make sure you cancel before penalty phase (which is different from final payment)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Buenos Areas

Since there's been no indication of a decrease of the virus in summer I wouldn't expect it in BA either. And who knows what the S. American countries are going to decide before letting us in. BA in particular doesn't need the cruise business.

12 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Make sure you cancel before penalty phase (which is different from final payment)

Yes , thank you so much for making me aware of that. Will definitely be cancelling mid August, to allow for the 120 days instead of doing it in September. Again, we are really sorry to have to do that, but really there is no other choice that is smart. 

1 minute ago, jonthomas said:

Yes , thank you so much for making me aware of that. Will definitely be cancelling mid August, to allow for the 120 days instead of doing it in September. Again, we are really sorry to have to do that, but really there is no other choice that is smart. 

If you are going to cancel anyway  why not just do it now ? 

😎

• Like 2

11 hours ago, clo said:

Since there's been no indication of a decrease of the virus in summer I wouldn't expect it in BA either. And who knows what the S. American countries are going to decide before letting us in. BA in particular doesn't need the cruise business.

The French people living on the Med rarely reflect the attitude of the Parisians, nor do most Americans fall in lock step with NYC. We have a fairly active Roll Call for our cruise. Every tour fills quickly. I can’t speak for the big city of BA, but dealing regularly in the last month with those in Montevideo, Ushuaia, Punta Arenas, Puerto Chacabuco, Puerto Montt, Valparaiso, Conquimbo, and Pisco, they are anxiety awaiting the tourist’s return. They are projecting November for  a full reopening. 

The concept of what’s happening today may not reflect what will be happening in 100 days exceeds some’s capacity.

Talking to the hotel concierge in Cusco, Peru, he said “ people will be starving in a couple of months if we don’t reopen “. Want to see a revolt? Try telling starving peasants you’re locking them down indefinitely for their own good!

• Like 2

Fellow Cruisers:

We were on the  Rio to BA cruise (Marina) in late February 2020.  We enjoyed the cruise and the ship.  Some of the  statements made in the above posts are wrong based on our experience.  BA needs the income from cruisers and the cruise lines and people like us that spent an extra four days in the country.  The country recently defaulted on its sovereign debt and the Argentine Peso is worthless on the world market with high inflation.  Entering Argentina was very strange since there were no custom agents at the port and we never presented our passports.  Upon leaving the country at the airport they asked us how and when did we enter Argentina?  We told them and they said , "no problem".  Leaving Argentina is easy in a "pinch"--take a ferry to Uruguay (90 mins.) or a bus. We were glad that we did the cruise before all of the craziness. Stay Safe!

Joel Barry

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

The French people living on the Med rarely reflect the attitude of the Parisians, nor do most Americans fall in lock step with NYC. We have a fairly active Roll Call for our cruise. Every tour fills quickly. I can’t speak for the big city of BA, but dealing regularly in the last month with those in Montevideo, Ushuaia, Punta Arenas, Puerto Chacabuco, Puerto Montt, Valparaiso, Conquimbo, and Pisco, they are anxiety awaiting the tourist’s return. They are projecting November for  a full reopening. 

The concept of what’s happening today may not reflect what will be happening in 100 days exceeds some’s capacity.

Talking to the hotel concierge in Cusco, Peru, he said “ people will be starving in a couple of months if we don’t reopen “. Want to see a revolt? Try telling starving peasants you’re locking them down indefinitely for their own good!

Not sure how they can see reopening in November. Not for cruise ship passengers in any case.  It takes 88 days to refit a ship and train crew. I learned that from another post here.  So cant see any cruises going to SA this year, as no  cruises are preparing to refit right now. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

Not sure how they can see reopening in November. Not for cruise ship passengers in any case.  It takes 88 days to refit a ship and train crew. I learned that from another post here.  So cant see any cruises going to SA this year, as no  cruises are preparing to refit right now. 

Oceania  has a loyal crew base  so no need to train most of them

Not sure what you mean by refit the ship

They will have to do a deep clean yes   & resupply fresh food  but cannot see it taking 88 days 

JMO

1 hour ago, Cape Hernlopen said:

there were no custom agents at the port and we never presented our passports. 

That's quite odd. We did that cruise in December and we did customs and immigration.

BA/Argentina and others likely need the tourists but as has been touted regularly here cruise passengers may not be that important. Hotels, dinners, etc.

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

I'd say the same is true in Cusco. Even when we were there 25 years ago the town was full of tourists but I doubt that many were from cruise ships. I do think people who mainly/mostly cruise may have an inflated opinion of their value.

Oh, and regarding Punta Arenas, not only is it a port it's also where our land tour of Argentinian and Chilean Patagonia ended. It's a big world out there..

22 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

They will have to do a deep clean yes   & resupply fresh food  but cannot see it taking 88 days 

JMO

So according to you, O will be sailing this Dec? I have a cruise on Dec 20 and 120 days out makes my final payment without penalty around Aug 15. Planning on cancelling. By my reckoning no O ship will be doing anything at that time. Of course I hope I am wrong. 

25 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

JMO

Sorry Lynne but I believe that he is more or less correct at 88 days.

Cruise ships  go to heck in a handbasket very quickly, when they are idle.  

8 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

So according to you, O will be sailing this Dec?

Reading  & comprehension

Please read what I posted  

I have no idea if  Oceania  will be sailing  & when

3 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

Sorry Lynne but I believe that he is more or less correct at 88 days.

Cruise ships  go to heck in a handbasket very quickly, when they are idle.  

well  maybe some crew onboard are doing the regular maintenance  like painting etc..

i am not there  to supervise  are you?

Hey, no need to question my reading and comprehension. 

Just saying that if it takes 88 to retrain and refit, if they were to start now, that places cruising at mid October, way past my final payment. I would have to see some really positive signs of cruising and soon, to commit to Dec of this year. That is not going to happen. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

I would have to see some really positive signs of cruising and soon, to commit to Dec of this year. That is not going to happen. 

As I said months ago to you  cancel  & wait until  things are looking better

I cannot see any cruises leaving from US ports anytime soon

Who would want to fly to Florida  & risk getting sick   when they have  approx 14000 cases per day  & not doing much to  control the  situation

JMO

I personally believe Oceania, as well as other lines, will start sailing in 2020. It just may not be from US ports. Crystal has already announced they are. 

As the Carnival CEO said “ American ports may be the last to reopen!”