ITV cruise documentary

wowzz

Given the amount of screen time given to Princess, I'm surprised that there have been no comments from UK Princess cruisers.  

Whilst I don't particularly believe Princess were that culpable, the programme did not show them in a particularly good light.

The one good thing to emerge from the programme, is that I now know which two couples to avoid  in the MDR. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It was just unfortunate Diamond Princess was in the wrong place at the wrong time to pick up that passenger in Hongkong who it would seem was the "super spreader".

What with the bias reporting from the Miami Herald lady the programme was rubbish.

41 minutes ago, Esprit said:

It was just unfortunate Diamond Princess was in the wrong place at the wrong time to pick up that passenger in Hongkong who it would seem was the "super spreader".

What with the bias reporting from the Miami Herald lady the programme was rubbish.

I agree.  It could have happened to any cruise line.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Esprit said:

I'm surprised you found the program rubbish, I thought they had put together a balanced timeline of events as covid spread around the world and how it affected the cruise industry, I also feel that Princess definitely played down the dangers of the virus especially when you saw just how many cases and deaths had occurred at the time we boarded Crown Princess  on the 6th March. Looking back now I'm think it would have been more responsible if Princess had cancelled out cruise along with all the other ones at that time.

8 hours ago, Esprit said:

THe Diamond with there 1 passenger, the Grand with its passenger, the Ruby, the Zaandam, the Coral. More than just the Diamond. 

7 hours ago, Cabernet Girl said:

I agree.  It could have happened to any cruise line.

It could have happened to any.  If they had not pulled the plug in March it probably would have.  Considering that Covid cases have shown up in crew members after the stoppage on most lines.  The one thing that saved many of the lines was the shorter cruise lengths.  With the Diamond and  the Grand shore health authorities became aware do to a passenger getting diagnosed after leaving the ship, then the ship getting scrutinized and the spread identified.  If that had not happened most likely the ship would have docked the passengers gotten off and no one the wiser.  Similar to the Ruby.  Passengers got off, but in that case the Australian's have done an excellent job of contact tracing so we know just how much of an impact that ship had in Australia.

Covid was certainly present on the ships of other lines (based upon its presence among the crew) but how wide spread we do not know because the cruise lines have avoided testing unless pretty much forced into it.

8 hours ago, saint_em said:

What was with the song the Scottish couple made up?! 

Who knows?  

Probably put back the appeal of cruising by 10 years.

At least I now know to avoid them.

(PS - I liked how they sneakily said that this was their 13th cruise.  Why do some people make it their business  to tell everyone else how many cruises they have been on ?  I've been to Clacton more than 40 times, but I see no need to boast about it!)

• Haha 3

40 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Why do some people make it their business  to tell everyone else how many cruises they have been on ?

Because the cruise lines make a big deal about how many cruises everyone takes. If there were no benefits for repeat cruisers, there would be no reason to count.

10 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

Because the cruise lines make a big deal about how many cruises everyone takes. If there were no benefits for repeat cruisers, there would be no reason to count.

I understand that, but there is still no need to make the number of cruises you have been on the starting point of every conversation.

On 7/3/2020 at 4:31 AM, Esprit said:

I guess there are some cruisers that just cannot accept that this all happened. if you watch this program which I considered well done and frankly pretty fair to cruises in general...the Taiwan stop where they are all sitting in the hall watching some program and walking around with most locals in masks and having their temps taken....get back on the ship...to me that could have been the super spreader right there.  I think Princess has some liability in even letting them get off the ship at that point...but it will all be sorted out in thousands of lawsuits big and small.  I saw that Taiwan video by DA way back when and thought ...how can those passengers not realize they are in the middle of a major health event?  But I am sure they trusted the cruise line...many do.

22 hours ago, saint_em said:

What was with the song the Scottish couple made up?! 

not sure but it was bad. "flying dutchman" strange to say the least but guess this experience has different impacts on different people and you are so glad to have survived it.

3 hours ago, kathy49 said:

not sure but it was bad. "flying dutchman" strange to say the least but guess this experience has different impacts on different people and you are so glad to have survived it.

Was it not because they were on a Holland America vessel?

4 hours ago, kathy49 said:

I guess there are some cruisers that just cannot accept that this all happened. if you watch this program which I considered well done and frankly pretty fair to cruises in general...the Taiwan stop where they are all sitting in the hall watching some program and walking around with most locals in masks and having their temps taken....get back on the ship...to me that could have been the super spreader right there.  I think Princess has some liability in even letting them get off the ship at that point...but it will all be sorted out in thousands of lawsuits big and small.  I saw that Taiwan video by DA way back when and thought ...how can those passengers not realize they are in the middle of a major health event?  But I am sure they trusted the cruise line...many do.

Why are people so quick with their lawsuits? Should I sue my partner for bringing it home from work and giving it to me?

People need to realise that at the time of the Diamond Princess episode, no one knew how serious things were going to get. It was planes and not cruise ships that spread it around the globe.