Should I bother with Viking Insurance?

Ktwofish

We just rebooked the Viking river cruise we cancelled in March.  I used the vouchers and received some good extras with the recent promotion.  My question is this...  Is it worth spending money on Trip Mate since Viking currently has their Risk Free Cancellation Policy?  We cannot get any refunds for the amount covered by vouchers.  Basically the insurance would be for the extra $2000 we are paying for the new cruise and for the medical benefits.  Am I missing anything?

Maybe. If your medical covers you overseas, and you have travel insurance through a credit card or similar instrument that covers things Viking doesn’t (problem getting to airport, lost luggage, etc.) you might be OK.

The Risk Free Cancellation policy means that if you cancel your cruise during the penalty phase, you get a combination of cash and vouchers in accordance with the cancellation penalty scheme EXCEPT in the case where you have paid with a voucher, because once a voucher, always a voucher. (Also note, though probably not applicable to OP, once a voucher, it is not eligible for the 125% offer should Viking cancel your cruise).

Viking insurance tends to be cheaper because they self-insure the cruise fare refund portion of the insurance by giving you vouchers if you cancel and a cash refund; they use a 3rd party insurer for the balance of the coverage. However, Viking insurance has to be paid for the full amount when you buy the insurance and may not be transferable to another cruise.

I don't know how it is currently, but a few years ago we had covered our cruise with their insurance and for a legitimate, covered reason (not our fault, but weather related). It took well over 3 months with constant phone calls and letter writing to get our refund. Even had to contact Viking CEO and insurance commissioners in 2 states. I would never take Viking's plan again. Find your own. Just my experience, but check the reviews on Trip Mate.

• Like 1

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback. I’m leaning towards not getting insurance. We can only get a voucher for all but about $2000 of the total trip cost, and we don’t need insurance to get a voucher for the total cost (thanks to Viking’s current Risk Free Guarantee.)  The real value is the medical coverage, I guess. We have a few more days to decide. 😊

My parents are in their 90s. I have made sure to get insurance for every overseas trip we have taken for the past 20 years. If I need to cut my trip short and fly home, I want the added expense covered -- and the added back up that my insurer's concierge service provides. If I fall ill while overseas, I want those expenses covered. Getting my cruise fare back is just one of the reasons for insurance. And I prefer not to get my insurance through the cruise line.

Edited by Peregrina651

@Peregrina651  I definitely understand your point.  In fact, I purchased insurance on my last planned cruise, and I filed a claim because my mother passed away 2 weeks before we were to sail.  I was definitely glad to have the insurance.  You bring up good points, though, about the concierge service which would be a great help when abroad.

14 minutes ago, floinnc said:

If you are covered by Medicare, you are not covered when out of the U.S for any medical expenses. Get insurance to cover yourself and include evacuation.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think that is true for most  health insurance plans, not just Medicare.

10 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

I think that is true for most  health insurance plans, not just Medicare.

No, I have read many posts from US workers and retirees with plans that include coverage outside the US.  Just not traditional Medicare.

8 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

No, I have read many posts from US workers and retirees with plans that include coverage outside the US.  Just not traditional Medicare.

Correct. Most retirees in my circles have overseas coverage regardless of where we retired from.

All good ideas/options here! I would not recommend and will not do Viking Insurance again.

Viking River would not allow our future credit to go toward insurance when we rebooked?

Our June 2020 Portugal cruise was cancelled by Viking and we chose to rebook all the same for 2021.

This cruise originally had insurance but Viking dropped the insurance and did not allow future credits to go toward insurance.

Our TA discussed with VRC and they said the credits cannot be applied toward the insurance cost.

The rebooked trip overage is only allowed to be used for: pre-paid gratuities, optional premium shore excursions, silver beverage package, or other on-board services.

Non-refundable amounts comeback to you as a travel credit, with details described in the policy.

http://www.tripmate.com/plan/print_certificate/486A21F9-7DC4-466A-9AAC-65FEE9A60A4E

For the original trip insurance coverage we received a credit overage that can’t be re-used for purchase of Insurance.

Vikings response: Insurance cannot be given away for free – it’s against insurance law.  

Technically by giving the FCV and applying the funds to a second booking, the insurance was viewed as ‘being given/free’ – so, we apply the funds and ask that the guests buy the insurance.

VRC said the amount would sit on the reservation and we could use it for optional shore excursions ect.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, bcorre2 said:

All good ideas/options here! I would not recommend and will not do Viking Insurance again.

Viking River would not allow our future credit to go toward insurance when we rebooked?

I am not aware of any company that allows this either. I don't think it is unique to Viking.