The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

Ahem, standards are slipping at the Chez.

What was to be Sunday's Frittata Brunch became Monday's Frittata Lunch.  Oh well, still satisfying.

Two things I love about frittatas: 

They're basically a quiche without the PIA pie crust.  I love things that omit the "hoo boy this will be fun" part of the recipe.

Then, as long as you have the basics: (eggs, milk, cheese) the answer to "what else shall I add" is "what's in the vegetable crisper?"  Waste not, and all that.

Today is was red bell pepper, onion, sliced shrooms.  After sauteing I cheat and throw in half a can of slice potatoes.  

Heaven.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KenzSailing said:

What was to be Sunday's Frittata Brunch became Monday's Frittata Lunch.  Oh well, still satisfying.

They're basically a quiche without the PIA pie crust.  I love things that omit the "hoo boy this will be fun" part of the recipe.

Then, as long as you have the basics: (eggs, milk, cheese) the answer to "what else shall I add" is "what's in the vegetable crisper?"  Waste not, and all that.

Today is was red bell pepper, onion, sliced shrooms.  After sauteing I cheat and throw in half a can of slice potatoes.  

Heaven.

This was always a fundamental divide in my house growing up.

My mother loved eggs.  I never knew poached eggs could be a side item for another egg dish until I took a cruise with her.  (...Or that you could have more than one egg course at breakfast -- potentially still with said side item of eggs in addition to the egg app and egg main... But I digress.)  She loved to cook and hated to bake.  A frittata was all upside for her -- eggs without the crust that she didn't want to eat and certainly didn't want to make.

I, on the other hand, will eat eggs with no problem, but don't have a passion for them.  My mother may or may not have encouraged that lack of enthusiasm so there would be more eggs for her -- I can't prove that.  The more that you can add to them or dress them up with, the better.  A frittata is an improvement on plain eggs because of the yummy fillings, and a quiche ups the stakes even higher by adding a yummy crust.  If I had to give up an ingredient in the quiche, I'd sooner give up the eggs and keep the fillings and crust, and just have a hand pie.

This is in no way a criticism of the Chez's menu, just an appreciation for why there's a menu in the first place.  Frittata or quiche, there's an audience for both, and a mutual respect for the chef's direction.

Vince

• Like 3

15 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

Heaven.

I’m shocked…shocked…to hear that cans of sliced potatoes are in your cupboard.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, KenzSailing said:

As Luke would say "may the crust be with you." 😁

And please, sir, might I have the option of hand pies at my next (actually first) visit to the Chez? Are you going to soon produce a take-out menu, and if so can the hand pies be on the take-out menu?

P.S. I know a guy with initials BWIV who is an international culinary expert who might have some recipe ideas...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, May B said:

I’m shocked…shocked…to hear that cans of sliced potatoes are in your cupboard.

Well, yeah.  We keep them right next to the Jello and canned mixed fruit that forms the basis of our festive holiday salad.  Just down from the tuna fish that goes into a casserole.😁  I can chef things up pretty well on the weekend, but during the week we're just two folks who grew up at a certain time in the US midwest. 

• Like 5

Today's sunrise is from my one and only Seabourn cruise, a 2016 Quest transatlantic from Lisbon to Fort Lauderdale. (I enjoyed Seabourn but the late dining and lack of a decent place to walk made it a one and done for me.)  December 8 was our first sea day, enroute from Lisbon to Maidera. 

dawn1208.jpg

Roy

• Like 3

I got very busy yesterday and never posted a December 10 sunrise so here it is,  December `10, 2016 was a sea day on the Seabourn Odyssey on the way to Fort Lauderdale:

dawn1210.jpg

The one for December 11 is from my 2013 Prinsendam Amazon cruise.  On December 11 we visited Alter do Chao:

dawn1211.jpg

Roy

• Like 6

I think many of us have been enriched by Pastor Ed Voosen, Protestant Chaplain on all recent Serenity World Cruises and his wife Ruth.  I have just learned that this year they will be Chaplains on the MS Volendam Grand South America voyage, leaving January 3.  He has set up a blog for the cruise.

https://volendam23.travellerspoint.com/

Roy

• Like 2

Interesting,

Lots of exec churn at Regent, Oceania and Silversea.   I'm guessing it's as simple as the incumbents being worn out getting their companies thru the shutdown, and it's now time to hand off to a new team.

Still, that's a lot of simultaneous turnover.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

Interesting,

Lots of exec churn at Regent, Oceania and Silversea.   I'm guessing it's as simple as the incumbents being worn out getting their companies thru the shutdown, and it's now time to hand off to a new team.

Still, that's a lot of simultaneous turnover.

Keith’s first word as the first passenger aboard the first “new” Crystal sailing?!?! 🤔🧐😉

• Haha 3