Ships to sail at reduced capacity until AT LEAST 2022

molly361

21 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

Crystal gives you a free mini bar if you book any cruise in any category room. Free WiFi, free caviar, free alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, and on and on. I'm just saying there are lines where you don't have to upgrade or gamble to receive all the ship's benefits (minus the butler if you're not in a suite).

Crystal  doesn't actually give you anything, it's all built in to the costs. Pax are actually paying for all those things.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

In days gone by, Carnival would offer a few cruises with no single supplement. Smart couples quickly figured out you could book a balcony for one and a nearby inside for one cheaper than putting two in the balcony. You end up with two full bathrooms and a lot more storage space for cheaper. And still share a balcony cabin.

A solution to that would be just do it for insides. Or even just for the upper/lower insides. I don’t book those but if they were half the price I would.

3 hours ago, fyree39 said:

That's my point. When a mass market passenger spends enough on the mass market line, either through the purchase of an upgraded experience or through gambling contributions, he can achieve the experience all cruisers get for the same amount of expenditure on an all-inclusive line. 

If I could afford Crystal (heck maybe I can - it just doesn't appeal to me to investigate), I still wouldn't take advantage of all they offer and don't like the thought of subsidizing other people's gluttony.

2 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

A solution to that would be just do it for insides. Or even just for the upper/lower insides. I don’t book those but if they were half the price I would.

The process would still work, but be less appealing. A couple could get two cabins for the price of one. Even better if they connected. Never underestimate the appeal of two bathrooms - especially cruise ship size.

17 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

The process would still work, but be less appealing. A couple could get two cabins for the price of one. Even better if they connected. Never underestimate the appeal of two bathrooms - especially cruise ship size.

Yeah I think that's way less likely...especially if it's an upper/lower. 

8 hours ago, fyree39 said:

Crystal gives you a free mini bar if you book any cruise in any category room. Free WiFi, free caviar, free alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, and on and on. I'm just saying there are lines where you don't have to upgrade or gamble to receive all the ship's benefits (minus the butler if you're not in a suite).

While that’s true, I’m not sure I’d enjoy their product. I’m not a fan of small ship cruising nor do I think I’d use all of the benefits/inclusions provided by the all inclusive nature of the brand.

I have previously considered Azamara for Europe but settled on Royal. If I were to visit Antarctica again, I’d select Silversea so I can experience certain continent landings.

Truth is, as snobby as I am, I prefer a typical full-service corporate environment over a luxury property. I find that I’m usually happier at a Westin or JW Marriott than my reservations at a Ritz Carlton or St. Regis. I’d probably be happier on a <newer> Carnival ship over Crystal, Seabourn, Silversea or Azamara.

Edited by xDisconnections

8 hours ago, fyree39 said:

Now that I've experienced the all-inclusive line, there is no way I'll ever pay for a AI type of experience on any mass market ship. You can't compare the experiences since the quality of food, liquor and entertainment is so much better on an AI line. You can't duplicate it on a mass market ship.

Please educate us with more specific information regarding this all inclusive line that you're drooling about.  What was the line, the size of the ship, the type of cabin, the out the door cost, the length of the cruise, and  the description of the entertainment that is "so much better that can't be duplicated on a mass market ship"  Also, what liquor is so much better than what is offered on mass market lines, wine maybe?

In order to make a fair comparison, you need to know as all of the comparison factors.  What is important to some people may not be important to others,  but either way by providing the details I requested will enable people to make a fair comparison of apples to apples.

Genting didn't get the memo on capacity controls:

Genting Hong Kong said Dream Cruises has been invited to commence domestic sailings from Sanya by the Hainan Commercial Bureau.

In June, China's Ministry of Transport approved a 'cruises to nowhere' operation from Hainan as a way to restart cruising after the coronavirus shutdown. At the time, it was stated that this domestic operation would require a Chinese-owned operator and a Chinese-flag ship.

Perhaps none came forward, giving an opening to Dream Cruises, whose three ships are registered in the Bahamas?

Talks with other regional governments about domestic cruises

Genting HK said it is currently in the process of negotiating with other regional governments to start domestic cruises.

Positive response to Taiwan sailings

This follows Dream Cruises’ Explorer Dream initiating short island-hopping jaunts from Keelung for Taiwanese in late July. The company reported an encouraging response, with the regulated first sailing on July 26 at 50% occupancy, rising progressively to 96% on the Aug. 23 and Aug. 26 cruises.

On 8/23/2020 at 2:03 PM, BlerkOne said:

In days gone by, Carnival would offer a few cruises with no single supplement. Smart couples quickly figured out you could book a balcony for one and a nearby inside for one cheaper than putting two in the balcony. You end up with two full bathrooms and a lot more storage space for cheaper. And still share a balcony cabin.

Guess carnival figured that out too...