Seabourn to Alaska

CabinBoy2020

I’m interested in a 21 day Seabourn Odyssey Alaska and Pacific Coast cruise in September 2021.  Can anyone comment on the 14 day Alaska portion?  It looks like the ship visits some interesting areas (often “cruising only”) that many Alaska cruises don’t visit (see list below).  I’ve read some complaints on these boards that only guests who book a Ventures or zodiac type excursion actually experience these areas.  Those who stay on board don’t see much? Thanks for your comments and any impressions about your Seabourn Alaska experience.

Queen Charlotte Sound

Yakutat Bay

Hubbard Glacier

Inian Island

Icy Strait Point

Glacier Bay

Stephens Passage

Misty Fjords

Prince Rupert, Canada

Whale Channel

Princess Royal Channel 

Alert Bay, Canada

I can comment on some of the itinerary sites mentioned.

Yakutat Bay is the bay that leads to/from the ocean to Hubbard Glacier.  Hubbard Glacier is well worth experiencing.  Sometimes, there will be smaller vessel options for guests to disembark their cruise ship for a closer visit to the Glacier than the cruise ship can reach.  What would be Seabourn's intentions?  

Stephens Passage is the name given to the waterway to Juneau.  What has Seabourn planned that would make that area different from other ships that transverse that same waterway?

Misty  Fjords:  not accessible by a large ship; again, what are Seabourn's plans for guests to visit that area.  (Personally, the best way to see this area is by a flightseeing trip that lands on one of the lakes and allows the guests to get out of the plane and stand on the plane's floats for awhile.  The silence is awesome!)

Glacier Bay:  well worth a visit, but I would be nearly certain that there would be no opportunity to visit the Bay and its Glaciers other than being a spectator on the ship.  Even doing so, it is an excellent experience, particularly if some are calving.  

As a point of reference--as you can see by my signature--I have not been a Seabourn guest, but am considering my next Alaska cruise to be on one of their vessels.  My Alaska cruises have all been on Holland America Line and Princess Cruises.  

• Like 1

Thank you, rkacruiser, for your helpful response.  I'm looking for something beyond the usual 7 day Alaska cruise and this 14 day cruise looks intriguing.  The itinerary lists many areas that are unfamiliar to me (e.g., Inian Island) and many that are "cruising only."  Viewing from the ship is fine (often preferable) but one of the Seabourn Alaska reviewers commented that their ship stopped so far away from some places that only those taking expensive excursions could view the areas.  

You mentioned you're also considering a Seabourn cruise.  This would be my first time on Seabourn as well.  I love the idea of the smaller ships and fewer passengers, especially during these coronavirus times.  I note that the Seabourn Odyssey, Sojourn, and Quest are in the Top 10 for passenger space ratios.  Good luck cruise shopping!

Hi to you both i just wanted to let you know that if you get a first time referral you get $250 ship board credit.

The person that refers you also gets the credit next time they cruise.

Enjoy Karen

Edited by shyla100

54 minutes ago, mraven said:

There's a sticky thread at the top of the main Seabourn Cruise Critic page where you can get referrals.

Thanks.  I previously tried that thread.  No one responded.  But that's OK.  A credit would be nice but not necessary.

1 hour ago, CabinBoy2020 said:

Thanks.  I previously tried that thread.  No one responded.  But that's OK.  A credit would be nice but not necessary.

someone will respond eventually. The board is quiet currently because none of us are cruising.
I see that your cruise is over a year from now. Lots of posters prefer not to send a referral coupon until final payment has been made as they don't want to lose a coupon in case the person cancels. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Isklaar said:

someone will respond eventually. The board is quiet currently because none of us are cruising.
I see that your cruise is over a year from now. Lots of posters prefer not to send a referral coupon until final payment has been made as they don't want to lose a coupon in case the person cancels. 

That makes sense.  Thanks for advice!

Queen Charlotte Sound -an expanse of ocean, lucky if you can see the mountains on the shore

Yakutat Bay -RKA's answer, on the way into Hubbard Glacier

Hubbard Glacier -very good, plenty beautiful from the ship. Ventures won't get really close because of unpredictable ice calving.

Inian Island -Ventures excursions

Icy Strait Point -a private tourist town

Glacier Bay -RKA's answer

Stephens Passage -RKA's answer

Misty Fjords -RKA's answer

Prince Rupert, Canada -a maritime city of 12,000

Whale Channel -follows Princess Royal Channel. Leads to Grenville Channel, a novel straight passage between the mountains

Princess Royal Channel -a narrow scenic channel to sail through for some distance

Alert Bay, Canada -a fishing village of 1,000 and a local ferry terminal

Simply Google the name of each place, info pops up on the right and a clickable map shows where it is. On Seabourn's website itinerary click the "Learn More" on each place for a description and a shore excursion list which will show what type they offer and what they see. On a print of the itinerary map note the arrival and departure times to realize that some of these places might just be steamed by on the way to the next port or even be passed in the night. Seymour Narrows is very attractive but the time is controlled by the tide **. Large ship cruises often go outside Vancouver Island rather than through the Narrows, Seabourn's itineraries are much better at truly following the scenic Inside passageways.

Bill

** On Sept 17, 2021 the turn of the tide at Seymour Narrows will be about 9pm, then 4am and 10am on the 18th. 9pm is too soon after departing Vancouver so I guess they would go slow and then pass early on the 18th. This will mean a liesurely evening steaming to the Narrows.  http://www.dairiki.org/tides/monthly.php/sey/2021-09

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mraven said:

There's a sticky thread at the top of the main Seabourn Cruise Critic page where you can get referrals.

I never paid attention to that sticky.  Thank you for the information.

Edited by rkacruiser

6 hours ago, Two4Sea said:

Queen Charlotte Sound -an expanse of ocean, lucky if you can see the mountains on the shore

Yakutat Bay -RKA's answer, on the way into Hubbard Glacier

Hubbard Glacier -very good, plenty beautiful from the ship. Ventures won't get really close because of unpredictable ice calving.

Inian Island -Ventures excursions

Icy Strait Point -a private tourist town

Glacier Bay -RKA's answer

Stephens Passage -RKA's answer

Misty Fjords -RKA's answer

Prince Rupert, Canada -a maritime city of 12,000

Whale Channel -follows Princess Royal Channel. Leads to Grenville Channel, a novel straight passage between the mountains

Princess Royal Channel -a narrow scenic channel to sail through for some distance

Alert Bay, Canada -a fishing village of 1,000 and a local ferry terminal

Simply Google the name of each place, info pops up on the right and a clickable map shows where it is. On Seabourn's website itinerary click the "Learn More" on each place for a description and a shore excursion list which will show what type they offer and what they see. On a print of the itinerary map note the arrival and departure times to realize that some of these places might just be steamed by on the way to the next port or even be passed in the night. Seymour Narrows is very attractive but the time is controlled by the tide **. Large ship cruises often go outside Vancouver Island rather than through the Narrows, Seabourn's itineraries are much better at truly following the scenic Inside passageways.

Bill

** On Sept 17, 2021 the turn of the tide at Seymour Narrows will be about 9pm, then 4am and 10am on the 18th. 9pm is too soon after departing Vancouver so I guess they would go slow and then pass early on the 18th. This will mean a liesurely evening steaming to the Narrows.  http://www.dairiki.org/tides/monthly.php/sey/2021-09

Awesome - Thanks, Bill, for all the information regarding the itinerary - and even the tides!  I appreciate you taking the time to respond.  I will save your post (also rkacruiser's).  BTW, I booked this cruise today.  

Bill

On 7/13/2020 at 7:48 AM, CabinBoy2020 said:

Thank you, rkacruiser, for your helpful response.  I'm looking for something beyond the usual 7 day Alaska cruise and this 14 day cruise looks intriguing.  The itinerary lists many areas that are unfamiliar to me (e.g., Inian Island) and many that are "cruising only."  Viewing from the ship is fine (often preferable) but one of the Seabourn Alaska reviewers commented that their ship stopped so far away from some places that only those taking expensive excursions could view the areas.  

You mentioned you're also considering a Seabourn cruise.  This would be my first time on Seabourn as well.  I love the idea of the smaller ships and fewer passengers, especially during these coronavirus times.  I note that the Seabourn Odyssey, Sojourn, and Quest are in the Top 10 for passenger space ratios.  Good luck cruise shopping!

9 hours ago, CabinBoy2020 said:

That makes sense.  Thanks for advice!

Just let me know and I wll arrange it 

12 hours ago, Isklaar said:

So true.  Sept 2021 is a long way off.  Will that cruise still be offered?  Will the referee retain their booking? Will Seabourn keep their referral program survive post-covid ?  Too many uncertainties at the moment to offer a referral coupon.

I have sailed to Alaska about 6 times.  This itinerary is misleading in the sense that many smaller ships that sail to Hubbard Glacier pass by most of these places but other cruise lines just mention the places where the ship actually docks rather than sail-by areas. In the case of this Seabourn cruise the actual places that the ship docks are:

Ketchikan
Sitka
Icy Strait Point
Haines
Juneau
Wrangell
Prince Rupert
Alert Bay

The only one I have not visited is Alert Bay.  Otherwise all are usual itinerary stops and my favorite of the above list is Icy Strait Point which is less touristy.  However, because I have sailed Alaska often I prefer the at sea days of Tracy Arm, Misty Fjords and either Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier.  

I have noticed that in 2021 there are many more 7 day cruises and less 14 day itineraries among the upscale lines .  A longer itinerary on a small ship is more likely to include smaller ports so in the way I think you have made a good choice.

I have two other comments.  First, September in Alaska tends to be quite chilly, and the likelihood of fog and rain is much higher.  Bundle up.  Secondly, I think the Seabourn ships are perfect for Alaska cruising because they are small and the design of the ships is unique.  All cabins are in the forward half of the ship which means that there are many aft decks with public rooms where one can sit outside and get a wonderful wide vista of the scenery.  Most new ships just put more cabins in the extreme aft area.  I really like the Seabourn experience.  It is one of my two favorite lines, the other being Regent.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, amusea said:

I have sailed to Alaska about 6 times.  This itinerary is misleading in the sense that many smaller ships that sail to Hubbard Glacier pass by most of these places but other cruise lines just mention the places where the ship actually docks rather than sail-by areas. In the case of this Seabourn cruise the actual places that the ship docks are:

Ketchikan
Sitka
Icy Strait Point
Haines
Juneau
Wrangell
Prince Rupert
Alert Bay

The only one I have not visited is Alert Bay.  Otherwise all are usual itinerary stops and my favorite of the above list is Icy Strait Point which is less touristy.  However, because I have sailed Alaska often I prefer the at sea days of Tracy Arm, Misty Fjords and either Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier.  

I have noticed that in 2021 there are many more 7 day cruises and less 14 day itineraries among the upscale lines .  A longer itinerary on a small ship is more likely to include smaller ports so in the way I think you have made a good choice.

I have two other comments.  First, September in Alaska tends to be quite chilly, and the likelihood of fog and rain is much higher.  Bundle up.  Secondly, I think the Seabourn ships are perfect for Alaska cruising because they are small and the design of the ships is unique.  All cabins are in the forward half of the ship which means that there are many aft decks with public rooms where one can sit outside and get a wonderful wide vista of the scenery.  Most new ships just put more cabins in the extreme aft area.  I really like the Seabourn experience.  It is one of my two favorite lines, the other being Regent.

Thank you so much for your comments.  I understand what you mean about the itinerary listing many places that are actually on the way rather than destinations themselves.  

I'm fine with the chilly weather since I come from a climate that's hot in the summer and fall.  I'm also hoping that port towns will be less crowded at that time of year.

So glad to learn about the aft viewing areas.  That's something I didn't consider.  I'm looking forward to the smaller, uncrowded Seabourn Odyssey. Despite what we're going through now, I'm optimistic about the future.

We did a similar itinerary last year on the Seabourn Sojourn. I have been to Alaska 15 times including twice on our own boat from Vancouver. Many cruise lines advertise the Inside Passage but really don’t do it. Seabourn did and the scenery is spectacular!

The cruise into Misty Fiords is beautiful and the ship anchors there for several hours while the zodiac excursions are carried out. You cannot get off the ship so if you want to explore further you will have to purchase the excursion.

Sitka is a great port with lots of history. Docking is not always guaranteed so tendering is a possibility. September is a great month to go because the salmon are spawning and it’s only a short walk from town to view them.

Inian Islands is set up strictly for the zodiacs again. You cannot get off the ship.

Alert Bay is a tendering port and quite frankly quite disappointing. Once you get off the tender you have to wait in line to be checked in by the locals. (Not fun if it is raining) You also have to check out before getting on the tender to return to the ship. Once you get past the local authorities it’s about a two minute walk to a park that has a lot of totem poles. There is nothing else to see so unless it’s a sunny day and you want to go for a walk...

Wrangell has a first class museum at one end of town and the petroglyphs at the other. No real need for a paid tour as everything is in walking distance.

As someone suggested, you can Google the ports to see the attractions. You can also email the Visitor Bureau’s in the larger ports and they will send you info. Once on board, Seabourn gives you a brochure on wildlife as well as a paperback copy of cruising in Alaska.
They also give you a light weight parka so there is no need to pack a jacket. Just bring sweaters for layering.
If you are into shopping some great deals can be had in September as all the shops are closing for the season.

The cruise you are looking at is unique because it does Hubbard as well as Glacier Bay. Hubbard is a one glacier view and if it is misty or foggy you might not see too much. Glacier Bay has many glaciers that gives more options for viewing should weather or ice hamper conditions.
We were booked on a 12 day Seabourn to Alaska in May which of course was cancelled.

Depending on COVID, maybe we will see you on board.

• Like 1

Thank you DuffyMcfluffy.  I'm so happy to read your positive comments about Seabourn Alaska cruises and this itinerary.  All the information you shared is very helpful. Thank you for taking the time to respond.  This cruise is 14 months away - I choose to believe there will be some positive developments by then that will allow ships to sail.  Hope to see you then!

Princess and HAL have had an edge at Glacier Bay because of their 50 year histories in Alaska tourism but all the lines have a chance at getting slots. Our 2017 Crystal cruise included both Glacier and Hubbard.

Bill