Cruise Next Deposits Expiring

Cmco1

Hi All,

I received a call late yesterday from NCL that our Cruise Next deposit, 500.00, was expiring at midnight last night. We had it assigned to a cruise that was cancelled by NCL in June.   I was told by the representative that unless we booked a future cruise on the spot we would lose our deposit.  Any advice from you much more experienced cruisers on recouping this?  Does this seem correct to you all that they are swallowing deposits like this with the immediate future of cursing so up in the air?  

I called on Monday to cancel a booking that I had for February.  I specifically asked the agent what would be happening with Cruise Next certificates.  She stated that the expiration date would be extended commensurate with the length of the cruise shutdown.  I would call the Cruise Next desk directly to discuss.  Your call may have come from a PCC that was trying to use an angle to get you to book ASAP.

I'm not an expert but noted another post on here about a week ago where someone had a CN that had already been extended and assigned to a cruise that was later cancelled, they were told it could only be extended once and after the cancelled cruise reverted back to the original expiry date. They had expected the 1 year extension to still apply after the cancelled trip but apparently not in their case.

Had your had the normally allowed extension?

It did not sound right to me and I'm no expert, just repeating what was said before.

2 hours ago, casofilia said:

We had used Cruise Next certificate on each of two cruises in Jan/Feb 2021 that were cancelled.   We had  cruises already booked for late 2022 and they were easy transferred to those.

This isn't about any transfers.    It's about expired Cruise Next.   

We had used to cruise next certificates for our May 2020 cruise that was canceled.  Our CN cert expire June 2021.  When we purchased our CN certificates we were told we would have to book by the expiration date.  Today I was inquiring about a cruise in March of 2022.  Wanting to use my CN cert as the deposit.  I was told they had to request an extension because they will expire in June 2021.  I questioned  this and she said you have to book and cruise by expiration date.  That isn't what we were told.  Its a moot point because NCL did extend the expiration date and I was able to book that cruise using them.

On 7/23/2020 at 1:21 AM, jancl57 said:

When we purchased our CN certificates we were told we would have to book by the expiration date. 

We were told that too. As long as we booked by expiration date. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was booked on a April cruise using 2 valid CruiseNext certificates, by the time  they cancelled that cruise,  my certificates had Now expired, but because they cancelled they let me apply them to a future cruise.  That cruise has now been cancelled.  This time they tell my TA they will not extend my CruiseNext certificates.  I used them In good faith when valid and NCL has cancelled (I did not cancel on my own)

I contacted NCL  and was told the following, which I find unacceptable since NCL cancelled both my cruises:

Thank you for contacting us here at CruiseNext. Per the terms of the CruiseNext program, you must book and sail within 4 years of the date the deposits were purchased. When your travel agent contacted us about your new booking, we offered a one-time courtesy to cover the later sailing, and advised her at that time that, should the booking be cancelled for any reason, the deposit will revert back to its original expiration date. 

At this time, there are no plans to extend CruiseNext deposits that have already expired, per the corporate offices.

11 hours ago, suze cruises with walt said:

I was booked on a April cruise using 2 valid CruiseNext certificates, by the time  they cancelled that cruise,  my certificates had Now expired, but because they cancelled they let me apply them to a future cruise.  That cruise has now been cancelled.  This time they tell my TA they will not extend my CruiseNext certificates.  I used them In good faith when valid and NCL has cancelled (I did not cancel on my own)

I contacted NCL  and was told the following, which I find unacceptable since NCL cancelled both my cruises:

Thank you for contacting us here at CruiseNext. Per the terms of the CruiseNext program, you must book and sail within 4 years of the date the deposits were purchased. When your travel agent contacted us about your new booking, we offered a one-time courtesy to cover the later sailing, and advised her at that time that, should the booking be cancelled for any reason, the deposit will revert back to its original expiration date. 

At this time, there are no plans to extend CruiseNext deposits that have already expired, per the corporate offices.

Yikes, I'm sorry that happened to you.  I am going to make sure that I sail within the expiration date of my CN certificates, that's for sure.

15 hours ago, suze cruises with walt said:

Of course there are no plans to extend them per the corporate office. When is the last time the corporate office has done right by any passenger? 

Once again, they have breached the terms of their own contract. When you bought your certificates, you agreed to book and sail within a certain time frame. In fact, you booked and were prepared to sail but NCL voluntarily cancelled your cruise, making it impossible to redeem your certificate within the stated timeframe. This is so obvious, I can't even believe their response.

Get it to the Federal Maritime Commission or Attorney General....forms available via Google search. It has been reported that NCL caves very quickly once called to task on their unethical behavior. Good luck.

Edited by luv2kroooz
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, luv2kroooz said:

Of course there are no plans to extend them per the corporate office. When is the last time the corporate office has done right by any passenger? 

Once again, they have breached the terms of their own contract. When you bought your certificates, you agreed to book and sail within a certain time frame. In fact, you booked and were prepared to sail but NCL voluntarily cancelled your cruise, making it impossible to redeem your certificate within the stated timeframe. This is so obvious, I can't even believe their response.

Get it to the Federal Maritime Commission or Attorney General....forms available via Google search. It has been reported that NCL caves very quickly once called to task on their unethical behavior. Good luck.