Why NCL Premium PLUS Adult Drink Package?

Sthrngary

11 minutes ago, palpieha said:

The flyer on NCL's website:

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/premium-plus-beverage-package.pdf

On the second page, the column on the right says "Wines available by the bottle with dinner". The fine print says "Includes select wines by the bottle when dining". So if you read the big header, it says it's only dinner, if you read the fine print, it says "dining", which certainly includes breakfast and lunch. 

I'm confused as well.

Lol…I guess I’ll find out in a couple weeks on the Breakaway.  Typically in marketing, the BIG print “giveth” and the LITTLE print “taketh away”.  Not so with NCL.

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

The only reason I was asking was my last trip, we ordered a bottle of French Champagne (Selected Wine) had the Premium Plus program for breakfast.  No charge.  We did it a couple of times because I obviously have a need to be a little toasted in the morning, LOL.  Thank you for taking the time to post the link. Very kind of you.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

My wife and I did as well! Just 2 glasses at a time 😀

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

To clarify, any wine/beer/spirits brought by a butler will not be part of the Premium Plus Beverage Package.  This rule is silly in my estimation but the suite is charged.  Yes, some folks have posted that their butler brought them something on the package, that is not the rule, that is the exception.  

My advise which comes from both experience and the disappointment of having a huge suite tab at the end of the week; ask first then have a strategy if the answer is no.  Nothing is more upsetting as thinking thing are available and then realizing it was not. 

@palpieha was talking about getting a bottle of wine as part of an in-suite dinner served by the butler.  @Sthrngary, you have mentioned many times that you don't like in-suite dining, so you probably haven't tried that.  Are you sure that the rule applies in that situation?  

Just now, pbenjamin said:

Are you sure that the rule applies in that situation?  

I wish I could answer this question exactly but I can not.  BTW, I did have in-suite dining but very rarely.  I have had butlers tell me 100% NO; other said yes.  The policy is No even from a butler.  NCL is so consistent on some things and not on others. I know that was clear as mud.  

Forgive me if this was mentioned previously.  I checked a bit, but not through all 23 pages 🙂

If you're considering Premium Plus -- which I highly recommend -- a better value is the new Free at Sea Plus program.  Instead of $35/day for P+, FAS+ is $49 ($42 for a solo).  However, that comes with an unlimited Internet package for both travelers, 2 extra premium dinners per person, and an additional $50 excursion discount for the second traveler.  It seems well worth the incremental cost.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, phillygwm said:

Forgive me if this was mentioned previously.  I checked a bit, but not through all 23 pages 🙂

If you're considering Premium Plus -- which I highly recommend -- a better value is the new Free at Sea Plus program.  Instead of $35/day for P+, FAS+ is $49 ($42 for a solo).  However, that comes with an unlimited Internet package for both travelers, 2 extra premium dinners per person, and an additional $50 excursion discount for the second traveler.  It seems well worth the incremental cost.

Agreed, this is what I did, saved me several hundred $$

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry if this is posted earlier, but my consultant claims this is the latest description of whats included in the PPBP. Premium-Plus-Beverage-Package-0922[15621].pdf

I see some nice stuff here, Hennessy XO, Macallan Terra/Enigma, JW Blue label... Im going to print this and bring to the cruise ☺️ 

In the fine print I do read "Beverage selection is subject to change on board", but how often is that? This list is supposed to be valid now. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Xentrix said:

Sorry if this is posted earlier, but my consultant claims this is the latest description of whats included in the PPBP. Premium-Plus-Beverage-Package-0922[15621].pdf

I see some nice stuff here, Hennessy XO, Macallan Terra/Enigma, JW Blue label... Im going to print this and bring to the cruise ☺️ 

In the fine print I do read "Beverage selection is subject to change on board", but how often is that? This list is supposed to be valid now. 

Earlier this year they were struggling with supply chain issues for specific items. Wines on the list were often not in stock, although the wine steward was always excellent at finding a similar wine and providing it under the PPBP benefit.

I hear the supply chain issues with wine have gotten better, but no first-hand experience.

Some of the higher end spirits are not available at every bar. JW Blue might only be at the Haven bar and Maltings, maybe A-list. I was suprised that Whistle Pig Rye was limited to just a couple of places, but maybe that was also supply chain, because I was surprised to find it at Headliners (that made for great Manhattans while listening to dueling pianos!).

Edited by palpieha

11 hours ago, pbenjamin said:

@palpieha was talking about getting a bottle of wine as part of an in-suite dinner served by the butler.  @Sthrngary, you have mentioned many times that you don't like in-suite dining, so you probably haven't tried that.  Are you sure that the rule applies in that situation?  

We don't use the in-room dining, but from people who did, they got the bottle of wine included. You can ask, as it's not an unreasonable request (the butler is already coming to your suite to deliver dinner), but have alternate plans if they can't. 

The policy is alcohol brought to your butler is not covered in the drink plan. Can you imagine if it was covered? Butlers would be doing nothing but bringing drinks from the Haven bar to the rooms all day. 

15 minutes ago, palpieha said:

Earlier this year they were struggling with supply chain issues for specific items. Wines on the list were often not in stock, although the wine steward was always excellent at finding a similar wine and providing it under the PPBP benefit.

I hear the supply chain issues with wine have gotten better, but no first-hand experience.

Some of the higher end spirits are not available at every bar. JW Blue might only be at the Haven bar and Maltings, maybe A-list. I was suprised that Whistle Pig Rye was limited to just a couple of places, but maybe that was also supply chain.

Ok, as long they have some champagne and somewhat decent selection of bottles of red for dinner I'm fine. 

I would actually be (happily) suprised if the mentioned ones are available at other bars than only Maltings. But just the option to be able to drink them somewhere on the boat makes this package a no brainer for me 🙂 

Edited by Xentrix

3 hours ago, Xentrix said:

I can attest you can not be 100% on even what is on this list.  My goal in this comment is to establish realistic expectations.  Other brands are added and some they are out.  The good news is you never go thirsty. It took me a one hour mission, to find the two bottles of Tequila 1942 which is part of this program but not on this list.  

So some things not on the list are available and some things on the list are not on the ship.  The issue is a Floating hotel.  Thank you for the list, it is super helpful.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Xentrix said:

Interesting that JW Blue is back on the list.  My DH got it with PPBP in Aug 2019 but on our Dec 2021 cruise we were told it was no longer available.  It was my understanding that it was removed from the list (not that it was a supply issue).

He'll be happy to see it again.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MNcruisingcouple said:

Interesting that JW Blue is back on the list.  My DH got it with PPBP in Aug 2019 but on our Dec 2021 cruise we were told it was no longer available.  It was my understanding that it was removed from the list (not that it was a supply issue).

He'll be happy to see it again.

It was available on the Gateaway in February 2022 at the Haven bar. I didn't check Prime Meridian or other bars.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

I can attest you can not be 100% on even what is on this list.  My goal in this comment is to establish realistic expectations.  Other brands are added and some they are out.  The good news is you never go thirsty. It took me a one hour mission, to find the two bottles of Tequila 1942 which is part of this program but not on this list.  

So some things not on the list are available and some things on the list are not on the ship.  The issue is a Floating hotel.  Thank you for the list, it is super helpful.

Thanks. They do mention several high end spirits so hopefully there's a good chance that at least some of them are available on the cruise (in my case, Gem, Greek islands 9/10), or nice replacements. And regardless I assume that this list is final proof that there's no 35 $ price cap. 😊

The PPBP is going to be expensive for NCL when me and my father set foot on that boat 😄 And we are still not 'heavy drinkers' per se. 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Xentrix said:

Thanks. They do mention several high end spirits so hopefully there's a good chance that at least some of them are available on the cruise (in my case, Gem, Greek islands 9/10), or nice replacements. And regardless I assume that this list is final proof that there's no 35 $ price cap. 😊

The PPBP is going to be expensive for NCL when me and my father set foot on that boat 😄 And we are still not 'heavy drinkers' per se. 

I am also not a heavy drinker.  NCL loses money on my every cruise.  This one week of vacation allows me to drink brands that I would never do at home due to yearly budgets.  It is nice to feel like a rock star for 7 days a year. 

• Like 2

I've not done the math on the prem plus, but here's been my experience.  When the staff see you have the package, they are more likely to suggest high end things for you to try, since they know they won't have to deal with price/how much, those discussions.  I've gotten to try things that I'd never pay retail for. (including Louis XIII, which was kind of an accident)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Xentrix said:

Interesting.  They update this several times a year, I think, and there are usually a few versions floating around, even on the NCL website.  I had a list from 2021 and there are some changes in this version, for better and worse.  They usually have the most current list in your room (as a way to get people to upgrade.)

If you're considering the package because of a specific bottle/spirit (i.e. if you ONLY drink JW Blue, for instance,) it might be better to wait to upgrade until you're onboard.  That way you can inquire at some bars to ensure what you want is in stock.  Supply Chain issues are still a thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, phillygwm said:

Interesting.  They update this several times a year, I think, and there are usually a few versions floating around, even on the NCL website.  I had a list from 2021 and there are some changes in this version, for better and worse.  They usually have the most current list in your room (as a way to get people to upgrade.)

If you're considering the package because of a specific bottle/spirit (i.e. if you ONLY drink JW Blue, for instance,) it might be better to wait to upgrade until you're onboard.  That way you can inquire at some bars to ensure what you want is in stock.  Supply Chain issues are still a thing.

Thats true. I'm getting the PPBP as part of the Free at sea plus, which for me is a good deal since I was going to get more speciality dining and unlimited wi-fi anyway. And from what I hear the Free at sea plus is cheaper before you're onboard. So I'll take my chances 🙂 But the only thing that's going to get me really disappointed is if they skip the champagne bottles for dinner. But I have not seen any version of this flyer, nor dining menu, since they started PPBP without 1-3 bottles of champagne included so fingers crossed.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JM0115 said:

If you get PPBP, can you get bottles of wine if you decide to eat at the buffet for dinner? Or only in restaurants?

The answer is either.  Servers just to to a bar to get the bottles.  Remember, only "Selected" bottles.  Look at the wine list to choose when on board. 

• Thanks 1

This comment might seem funny coming from me.  For those of you that don't know, I am the author of this topic.  We all my topics, my goal is always to allow all of us to have "Realistic Expectations".  This goal was set because on a past cruise, my expectations were, lets say kindly, not realistic.  It was completely my fault because I created a vision in my head that was more of a day dream then reality.  Lesson learned.

On to my main point.  If you are choosing the Premium Plus Beverage Package for a specific brand or type of wine or spirits, be careful.  The ship might run out, it might have a supply chain issue.  Then you get onboard, ask for it and it is not on your cruise.  Happens all the time.  

On the opposite end of the spectrum, look at the offerings and if you see something you want, ask?  I know this because a couple of years ago, I was at a bar, had the Premium Plus Program and asked for  a great tequila.  The Bartender asked to see my card and then brought out a tall bottle I had never seen before.  It was, Don Julio 1942.  It was not on the list but was no charge with this program. If I never would have asked the question, I would have never had the opportunity.  

Four cruises later, I asked a bar tender for the Don Julio 1942 and he told me he did not have any and did not think it was on the ship.  Some would have been disappointed.  I used this as a game.  Fine a bar that had that tequila.  I was on the Joy at the time.  With no luck, I went to Starbucks for a coffee at the observation deck.  Next to Starbucks is a full bar.  In the back row of all the bottles was the distinctive bottle of 1942.  Of all places to find this.  The bartender there said, another full bottle was in the "A" list bar between Cagney's and the French Restaurant. 

I would have been fine not having this drink.  But making it a quest for the Grail was fun also.  Cruise are what we make of them.  They never go completely to plan.  We get disappointments and surprises.  Most of this is out of our control.  Go with the flow or in my case shot of Tequila.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

This comment might seem funny coming from me.  For those of you that don't know, I am the author of this topic.  We all my topics, my goal is always to allow all of us to have "Realistic Expectations".  This goal was set because on a past cruise, my expectations were, lets say kindly, not realistic.  It was completely my fault because I created a vision in my head that was more of a day dream then reality.  Lesson learned.

On to my main point.  If you are choosing the Premium Plus Beverage Package for a specific brand or type of wine or spirits, be careful.  The ship might run out, it might have a supply chain issue.  Then you get onboard, ask for it and it is not on your cruise.  Happens all the time.  

On the opposite end of the spectrum, look at the offerings and if you see something you want, ask?  I know this because a couple of years ago, I was at a bar, had the Premium Plus Program and asked for  a great tequila.  The Bartender asked to see my card and then brought out a tall bottle I had never seen before.  It was, Don Julio 1942.  It was not on the list but was no charge with this program. If I never would have asked the question, I would have never had the opportunity.  

Four cruises later, I asked a bar tender for the Don Julio 1942 and he told me he did not have any and did not think it was on the ship.  Some would have been disappointed.  I used this as a game.  Fine a bar that had that tequila.  I was on the Joy at the time.  With no luck, I went to Starbucks for a coffee at the observation deck.  Next to Starbucks is a full bar.  In the back row of all the bottles was the distinctive bottle of 1942.  Of all places to find this.  The bartender there said, another full bottle was in the "A" list bar between Cagney's and the French Restaurant. 

I would have been fine not having this drink.  But making it a quest for the Grail was fun also.  Cruise are what we make of them.  They never go completely to plan.  We get disappointments and surprises.  Most of this is out of our control.  Go with the flow or in my case shot of Tequila.  

Excellent post, and I have experienced the same getting the PPBP and it's why I usually keep getting it.

When the staff see that you have the package, they will bring out new things to try, or make recommendations.

On Epic last year, the Atrium bar knew that I'd stop by after dinner for a couple of glasses of port wine. They managed to get a bottle of a really great port. They said it was the best on the ship and only served in Cagney's, but they always made sure they had a bottle for me. (and I think they might have gotten chewed on a little by the head bar steward as well)

People should count the costs if it's worth the upgrade to them, but if you're open to trying new things, the staff will make suggestions when they see you have the package.

Also, I love Don Julio 1942. (my funny Don Julio 1942 story, was on my first Panama Canal cruise, 10 years ago. In Cabo, met up with some friends who were vacationing there and their trip overlapped with my port day.  We wanted a 'tequila factory' tour, or at least Yelp said one was nearby.  Turns out it was a restaurant, with a tequila bar in the foyer, a big fake agave plant, and a big chalk board with a greatly abbreviated process for how tequila is made.  I asked the bartender for a smooth sipping tequila, he got out the DJ 1942. Loved the first shot so much, had two more. Then it occurred to me that I should as what the bottle costs, as I'd had three $20/shot.  Bottle was $120  😄  )

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Nicky Mouse said:

Excellent post, and I have experienced the same getting the PPBP and it's why I usually keep getting it.

When the staff see that you have the package, they will bring out new things to try, or make recommendations.

On Epic last year, the Atrium bar knew that I'd stop by after dinner for a couple of glasses of port wine. They managed to get a bottle of a really great port. They said it was the best on the ship and only served in Cagney's, but they always made sure they had a bottle for me. (and I think they might have gotten chewed on a little by the head bar steward as well)

People should count the costs if it's worth the upgrade to them, but if you're open to trying new things, the staff will make suggestions when they see you have the package.

Also, I love Don Julio 1942. (my funny Don Julio 1942 story, was on my first Panama Canal cruise, 10 years ago. In Cabo, met up with some friends who were vacationing there and their trip overlapped with my port day.  We wanted a 'tequila factory' tour, or at least Yelp said one was nearby.  Turns out it was a restaurant, with a tequila bar in the foyer, a big fake agave plant, and a big chalk board with a greatly abbreviated process for how tequila is made.  I asked the bartender for a smooth sipping tequila, he got out the DJ 1942. Loved the first shot so much, had two more. Then it occurred to me that I should as what the bottle costs, as I'd had three $20/shot.  Bottle was $120  😄  )

I came back from my last cruise and bought a large bottle.  I live in Alabama and it was no where to be found.  So I ordered it from a online store.  I shopped and finally got it.  $350.00 for this bottle.  I have had it for 5 months and it is 3/4 filled.  It is for special occasions and no one touches it but me in my family.  Really smooth stuff. BTW, it was $45.00 a shot on the cruise.  LOL.

2 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

I came back from my last cruise and bought a large bottle.  I live in Alabama and it was no where to be found.  So I ordered it from a online store.  I shopped and finally got it.  $350.00 for this bottle.  I have had it for 5 months and it is 3/4 filled.  It is for special occasions and no one touches it but me in my family.  Really smooth stuff. BTW, it was $45.00 a shot on the cruise.  LOL.

Oh wow!!  Last year the local mexican restaurant was offering shots on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday for $8.  I went many times.

IMG_6277.jpeg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Nicky Mouse said:

Oh wow!!  Last year the local mexican restaurant was offering shots on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday for $8.  I went many times.

Wow, I really mean WOW.  Never in Alabama.