Why NCL Premium PLUS Adult Drink Package?

Sthrngary

7 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

The Premium Plus Beverage Package is not for everyone.  Just like staying in the Haven area, you have to study what you can gain from this program. Many think it is all about drinking enough to justify upgrade.  From a value proposition, that is in many ways is true.  Yet there is something else that needs to be considered.  That is how you approach your cruise vacation.

Again, so no one takes me the wrong way, it is not for everyone.  The first time I purchased the Premium Plus program, I did it for the full bottle of selected wines at meal time.  My wife LOVES win.  She hated having to order a glass of wine and when she when she did, it took a while to get it.  When I saw that you could order a full bottle, that solved the issue for my wife.  

What I did not know that very first time was the program covered a lot more of what we as a family love.  It was a learn as you go situation which lead me to write this original article on this program. At home, we have water by our beds at night.  We quickly found out bottled imported water was part of the program.  At dinner, we would order Imported water with gas.  After dinner we would ask our waiter to give us two bottles of non-gas water to take to our room.  Normally, I would not order fancy water at meals out. When they were complementary, it was easy to enjoy this luxury.  A plus for us.

The next situation that happened was I was at the Haven bar.  Don't think that this is just a Haven benefit because it is not.  I asked the Bartender for a "Nice" sipping tequila.  He looked at my cabin card, noticed the coding for the Premium Plus package and served me a lovely glass of Tequila 1942.  I had never had this before and it was smooth and lovely.  The price per glass usually would have been about $45.00.  With this program, it was no charge.  

I like many others like Starbucks.  At first, I was not sure if Starbucks was included.  It certainly was.  Again, when in the Haven, specialty coffee was complementary regardless of which drink package you had.  Out side of the Haven, whether at the Starbucks counter or at a restaurant, there was always a charge.  I had a habit of going to the Observation Lounge in the morning to get a nice coffee at the Starbucks.  This became another benefit.  

A few of the bars on all NCL ships do drinks that use smoke.  That are above the normal $15.00 maximum, they also came with this package.  I can remember being in the Teppanyaki Japanese Restaurant and ordering a full bottle of French Champagne.  It was only my wife and I.  The waiter asked me how many glasses I wanted.  There was eight at my table and I asked for eight.  It was no issue and we had three bottles that night with our new friends.  

Over time, we learned more about the rules and policies for this beverage plan and leveraged it to make our vacations special.  The cost of the upgrade was a premium however never having to worry about added charges to my room portfolio allowed me to create as close to an all inclusive vacation as one can create on a mainstream cruise brand.  

People ask me all that time, is it worth the money.  The answer is, NO.  When you take the approach I was attempting to create a stress free all-inclusive approach, the answer is YES.  Still, the debate is having this program creates the need to make it a value and if you can't drink that much, don't get the package.  I truly never looked at it that way.  Instead, I would now without fear try new items and expended my experiences with no fear of a huge bill at the end of my cruise which I had done in the past. 

One more benefit was we would plan our dinner on ordering a second bottle of wine for my wife.  That bottle we would bring to our cabin for a night cap on the balcony.  I explain how we use this program all the time.  I try to educate folks that brands not found on the written list are still on the plan.  All you have to do is ask.  Now there are some obvious exceptions like Louis or Dom.  Yet even on those items, you gain a pretty hefty discount. 

The debate on is it worth it or not will never end.  Yet for my lovely bride and I, we never cruise without it.  Now with the New NCL Free at Sea PLUS which includes the Premium Plus Beverage Package and other things, it is even easier for us to enjoy our goal of All-Inclusive feel on an NCL Ship.  

We will be cruising on the Breakaway in December of this year.  We have both the Free at Sea Plus package and for the first time, we booked the Vibe Beach Club Cabana months before the cruise.  

Like anything else, none of this extra's are essential to having a great cruise.  If your strategy on cruising is similar to mine, consider this as an option.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

Gary your posts and comments are amazing! It is gonna be my first time in the Haven in december and I am pretty sure it would not be the same without all the knowlege you shared here! You should probably write a book!! 

I will take the opportunity to ask one of my few remaining questions…we have the premium plus package and were wondering how it works with the bottled / sparkling water. Is it just available in the restaurants for diner, or during the day at the other bars aswell? We do also like having a bottle for the night or just while laying at the pool but haven’t figured out how exactly that works or where to get them from…

Thank you for your advice!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Phil265 said:

I will take the opportunity to ask one of my few remaining questions…we have the premium plus package and were wondering how it works with the bottled / sparkling water. Is it just available in the restaurants for diner, or during the day at the other bars as well? We do also like having a bottle for the night or just while laying at the pool but haven’t figured out how exactly that works or where to get them from…

You should be able to get cartons of "FLOW" water, or bottles of sparking/still waters at most bars, as well as, at restaurants.

6 hours ago, Phil265 said:

I will take the opportunity to ask one of my few remaining questions…we have the premium plus package and were wondering how it works with the bottled / sparkling water.

You CAN get bottles of water at bars or restaurants.

6 hours ago, Phil265 said:

We do also like having a bottle for the night or just while laying at the pool but haven’t figured out how exactly that works or where to get them from…

Two separate approaches so here is my advice.  At the pool, just get glasses of wine.  The selection is limited from the restaurants.  Give the server at the pool a tip and tell them you are thirsty. The wine served by the glass sometimes is a better bottle than the full "Selected" bottles available.  Also, the pool unless you are in the Haven is ALWAYS crowded.  A bottle in a ice bucket on an NCL cruise is rare. 

In your cabin is a whole other story.  On day one, tell your room steward to clear out all the for sale items from your Mini-fridge.  At any meal (Many say dinner only but my experiences is ANY Meal), what ever is not finished in a bottle, can be taken back to your cabin.  Plan your meal that way.  In my case, my wife finishes one bottle and orders another.  The next bottle goes to the cabin.  Or I order a bottle and I don't drink wine.  We do the same thing with water but we ask them not to open it.  We take it back to the cabin.  

On the bottles of wine, you don't have to do this every day.  Just enough to have a night cap on the balcony.  We are all making this strategy way to complicated.  The crew want to please us.  Hope that helps.  Your question is one of the top questions on the subject.

7 hours ago, Phil265 said:

Gary your posts and comments are amazing! It is gonna be my first time in the Haven in december and I am pretty sure it would not be the same without all the knowlege you shared here! You should probably write a book!! 

I will take the opportunity to ask one of my few remaining questions…we have the premium plus package and were wondering how it works with the bottled / sparkling water. Is it just available in the restaurants for diner, or during the day at the other bars aswell? We do also like having a bottle for the night or just while laying at the pool but haven’t figured out how exactly that works or where to get them from…

The Haven bar has the glass bottles of sparking (Pellegrino) and still (Acqua Panna). With the Premium Plus, I went to the Haven bar and asked for 2 bottles and would take them to my stateroom. 

While sitting by the Haven pool or on the upstairs sundeck, the deck attendant can bring you a bottle or any other drink.

On the main pool outside the Haven, the bars have the cartons of water which are also included with the Premium Plus.

Edited by palpieha
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Phil265 said:

I have been able to get bottles of the carton water, pellegrino, aqua pana, and whatever else that bar might have, any bar. I also like stopping by and grabbing a few bottles to take back to cabin for night and the next morning.

Edited by Nicky Mouse
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, JM0115 said:

Probably answered, but can you get bottles of Frence Champagne at Le Bistro and if so which ones under the PPBP?  Same question for the other Specialty Restaurants.

You should be able to obtain Champagne at any restaurant bar.  Veuve Yellow/Rose both available in LeBistro.  Yellow label was easily found in other restaurant bars.  Moet was also available.  The head wine steward informed me that per a recent corporate change I should not expect to find it in any of the other bars around the ship.  He offered to "follow me around", but after a couple of days he seemed to recognize my pattern and allowed the Atrium bar to stock it for me and I was out of his hair at that point.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, JM0115 said:

Probably answered, but can you get bottles of Frence Champagne at Le Bistro and if so which ones under the PPBP?  Same question for the other Specialty Restaurants.

Someone posted what seems to be the latest list a couple of pages ago, check post 591:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2758709-why-ncl-premium-plus-adult-drink-package/page/24/#comment-64092176

By the bottle, there are usually 2 or 3 French Champagne you can get. The list above shows Pommery Brut Rose, Mumm Cordon Rouge Brut, and Moet & Chandon "Imperial". 

Now, you can also get anything by the glass, and you can get as many glasses as you want. So if you want Veuve Clicquot, it's included by the glass. At Le Bistro, the Veuve is very popular, so even if getting by the glass you'll get it from a bottle very recently opened. Last time I was there, they opened a new one and set it in an ice bucket not too far from our table. We "shared" that one and then more bottles (those bottles of Veuve seem to leak a lot when I'm around 😀) with 2 other tables that were nearby, all by the glass.

At Le Bistro sometimes they'll have a French Champagne that is not anywhere else, like Veuve Rose or something else. That is also available by the glass included in the PPBP.

Of course, all brand availability is subject to supply chain issues, etc, but I've found that when something wasn't there, something equal or better was available. You'll have a great time.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, palpieha said:

Someone posted what seems to be the latest list a couple of pages ago, check post 591:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2758709-why-ncl-premium-plus-adult-drink-package/page/24/#comment-64092176

By the bottle, there are usually 2 or 3 French Champagne you can get. The list above shows Pommery Brut Rose, Mumm Cordon Rouge Brut, and Moet & Chandon "Imperial". 

Now, you can also get anything by the glass, and you can get as many glasses as you want. So if you want Veuve Clicquot, it's included by the glass. At Le Bistro, the Veuve is very popular, so even if getting by the glass you'll get it from a bottle very recently opened. Last time I was there, they opened a new one and set it in an ice bucket not too far from our table. We "shared" that one and then more bottles (those bottles of Veuve seem to leak a lot when I'm around 😀) with 2 other tables that were nearby, all by the glass.

At Le Bistro sometimes they'll have a French Champagne that is not anywhere else, like Veuve Rose or something else. That is also available by the glass included in the PPBP.

Of course, all brand availability is subject to supply chain issues, etc, but I've found that when something wasn't there, something equal or better was available. You'll have a great time.

Thanks we booked PPBP and are very excited!

• Like 2

Thank you to all that participated in the Blog Stream.  A favor.  If you are currently on an NCL ship, with the Premium Plus Beverage Package, can you share your current experience.  Everyone that reviews this blog wants up to the day experiences.  Do they have the spirits or wines you were hoping for?  Did something change for the positive or negative? 

Any and all live feedback would be much appreciated.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Thank you to all that participated in the Blog Stream.  A favor.  If you are currently on an NCL ship, with the Premium Plus Beverage Package, can you share your current experience.  Everyone that reviews this blog wants up to the day experiences.  Do they have the spirits or wines you were hoping for?  Did something change for the positive or negative? 

Currently on the Sun with the plus ultra mega package. I wish they had more peated whiskeys than talisker, and they have run out of Ron zacappa 23 in the store room, but overall it’s been good. Ask any questions I’m on until Nov 21. 

FYI, as of this sailing they are no longer offering the viva vino packages. It’s been an issue with some folks. 

Edited by Nicky Mouse
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Nicky Mouse said:

Currently on the Sun with the plus ultra mega package. I wish they had more peated whiskeys than talisker, and they have run out of Ron zacappa 23 in the store room, but overall it’s been good. Ask any questions I’m on until Nov 21. 

FYI, as of this sailing they are no longer offering the viva vino packages. It’s been an issue with some folks. 

Thanks for posting! Hope your cruise is going well.

Do you find the bartenders are making you creative drinks or helping you explore 'other' liquors>

On 10/15/2022 at 10:59 AM, Sthrngary said:

Not quite live but just returned from Prima yesterday and had Free at Sea Plus.

Staff was very quick to see and acknowledge the “Plus” and offer high end liquors, champagne, wine and waters. For example when I ordered an aperol spritzer at the Penrose, the bartender made it with Veuve Cliquot instead of Prosecco. (Not a waste of Veuve as I had plenty of her on her own as well!)

Most wine stewards were quick to know “Plus” included glasses and bottles. They all seemed to really want you to get the most for paying for the upgraded plan. Be aware, however, that different speciality dining restaurants on Prima have select wines and it can be difficult to get one you prefer when dining in another restaurant. They did try, but we had to compromise a couple of times. For example, Palomar has only organic wine and the choice is smaller than say Onda. The wine steward was very knowledgeable and led us to a wine we enjoyed. Waiters were quick to offer and refill waters included in the “Plus.”

Hiccups will occur,  like a terrible gin used in a Negroni from the Prima Theatre Bar but it was right before show time and we should have specified the gin.

In general, however, we thoroughly enjoyed and used are Beverage Plus to full advantage on the Prima and the bartenders were awesome. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, up4cruising said:

Not quite live but just returned from Prima yesterday and had Free at Sea Plus.

Staff was very quick to see and acknowledge the “Plus” and offer high end liquors, champagne, wine and waters.

Thanks.  I debated for a week on whether to carry some wines aboard or to go with the plus package.  Posts like yours make me believe that was a wise choice.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JM0115 said:

I’m on the ship but still have a question. With PPBP can you have any glass of wine from the menu?

Yes, if served by the glass.  If your wine is served only as a bottle, that would not qualify unless it is denoted “Selected Bottle” clearly described on the list.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JM0115 said:

I’m on the ship but still have a question. With PPBP can you have any glass of wine from the menu?

I would say there might be 1 exception... which is the three glasses listed under the "Coravin Experience" While the wines are served by the glass, the glasses are listed under an "experience" which is specifically excluded in the PPBP terms.