Viking Excursions How much $?

stormz

15 hours ago, Cienfuegos said:

Young honeymoon couples and thirty somethings are definitely different for Viking Ocean.

I wonder if they've expanded their marketing?

No.

In our case last summer, the thirty year old was niece and two of the teachers in their mid thirties were my daughter and son in law.

Speaking for my daughter and son in law, they are both experienced cruisers. Neither are of the "drunk before muster drill" Carnival mindset and enjoy the type of cruising that Viking offers.

13 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

No.

In our case last summer, the thirty year old was niece and two of the teachers in their mid thirties were my daughter and son in law.

Speaking for my daughter and son in law, they are both experienced cruisers. Neither are of the "drunk before muster drill" Carnival mindset and enjoy the type of cruising that Viking offers.

Interesting point. Both my wife and I do not drink. On our last cruise, we added Ultimate Tuscany - 4 days eating every meal with the same group of people. Only one other couple in the group didn’t drink - they were in their 30s. BTW, all 4 of us were always offered alternatives without asking as our tour director made sure we were accommodated.

I didn't say they didn't drink, just that they do not think the point of a cruise is to be drunk shortly after boarding.

We also did the Ultimate Tuscany add on before our cruise (there was six of us in our group).   W did enjoy the bottle of wine that would be placed on our table during lunch and dinner.

As to be expected, there were some in our group that abused the wine amount that was included with the package.  One couple in particular figured out that our group thought of a glass of wine as an accompaniment to the meal and not the source of the meal and sat with us so that the two bottles of wine placed on a table for eight  would quickly become their wine.

The tour director quickly caught on and  had the waitstaff make a point of pouring our glasses when we sat down and not placing additional bottles on the table.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Homosassa said:

No.

I'm sorry that my post apparently offended you, that was not my intent.

Where did you get the "drunk before muster drill" reference?  I don't see that in my post?

On 8/24/2020 at 3:16 PM, Cienfuegos said:

Young honeymoon couples and thirty somethings are definitely different for Viking Ocean.

I wonder if they've expanded their marketing?

We're in that demographic on both counts, though so far together we've just done Viking River since our Ocean trip for 2020 has been cancelled multiple times. As far as I'm aware, there's been no expanded marketing to 20 to 30-somethings, we just sought out cruises without any of the bingo card, art auctions, go karts, etc. nonsense. We like good food and good conversation with fellow passengers, along with sitting in the library and reading. Mainstream lines have made it all but impossible to find any of our preferred attributes so Viking has gained our business. I personally find the single malt selection on Viking River outrageously good on the Silver Sprit package and would prioritize Viking River over about any ocean cruise on that basis alone; I wish Viking Ocean would offer the selections from Viking River, as well as the inclusive nature of the package (no $15 cutoff on River).

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Squawkman said:

We had 24 in our group, and I don’t remember any wine or food hogs. At meals, everyone rotated seating to get to meet everyone else. Our guide was Dan - was he yours too?

Yes, Daniel. 

We were a family group and don't get to see each other too often because live on three separate coasts of the USA (east, west, and gulf) so we did sit together.

20 hours ago, Cienfuegos said:

I'm sorry that my post apparently offended you, that was not my intent.

Where did you get the "drunk before muster drill" reference?  I don't see that in my post?

It didn't offend me.

You just seemed to be surprised that people in their thirties would book and be happy on Viking.

My "drunk before muster" was just a statement of why some cruise lines don't appeal to some younger adults. My daughter statement of explanation to me about why she had no interest in doing another Carnival cruise after she went on one with a friend when she was 23 was "I just don't drink enough to think that the food and entertainment was any good."

She also made a statement about how muster drill was a farce because of the number of drunks attending.

As a former professional mariner, I feel all passenger ship muster drills are a joke.  Even Viking.  When a ship is without power and possibly listing is not the best first time to try on your lifejacket.  But then, a realistic training session could take more time than most passengers (drunk or sober) would likely tolerate.  Viking, of course, does everything required by laws.  

6 hours ago, chromatographer said:

Good tip for people to be aware of.

On 8/26/2020 at 9:51 AM, deec said:

if you are on River Cruise make sure to pay for your Silver Spirits from home and you will be charges in USD...if you wait to board it will be in Euros.

It could be a good move or a bad move, depending on what the exchange rate was when the $$price was set and depending on how strong/weak the dollar is against the euro when you decide to pay.