Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

1 hour ago, sfred said:

Ah, I think I've found it too.  If correct, I had mistakenly thought this port was already on our seen list.  As @Sue-B may have gotten to it before me, I'll defer to her to make the first guess when "tomorrow" happens later on in the UK.

Thank you @sfred  😀

@bluemarble  I believe the port is Ishigaki, Okinawa, Japan 😀  Have my fingers crossed now 🤣

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sue-B said:

Thank you @sfred  😀

@bluemarble  I believe the port is Ishigaki, Okinawa, Japan 😀  Have my fingers crossed now 🤣

That's correct! Well done!

The image captures are from ARKSYSTEM's live stream on YouTube titled "沖縄県石垣島ライブカメラ(Live streaming from Ishigaki Island, Okinawa)". They show QE's recent call there on April 15, 2023. I've been keeping these images close to the vest in case someone on that cruise had their own (better) photos of Ishigaki to share with us here.

I'm not certain of the precise location of the camera since the description on YouTube doesn't elaborate. But I think we can deduce the view is looking in a generally southerly direction across Nagura Bay with the city of Ishigaki and its cruise terminal off in the distance not far behind the hills in the background. That's consistent with QE arriving from Keelung to the west where she would have traveled right to left across the camera's field of view at the time I captured the image that morning (at 05:50). And then she made only a very distant appearance (at 18:17) as she departed later that day for Naha, also in a generally westerly direction.

@sfred, "our recent impressive growth in Japanese ports" has managed to continue with this one more contribution.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sue-B said:

I believe the port is Ishigaki, Okinawa, Japan 😀  Have my fingers crossed now 🤣

Congratulations @Sue-B.  Well done!

This morning Australia time I was going thrugh the unseen port list to look for other candidates, and came across Ishigaki.  Initially I thought I'd made a mistake and forgotten to transfer the port across.  But reviewing here and the QE position threads I realised that neither @alc13 nor @martinmct had contributed Ishigaki, and so it had remained unseen.  

A bit of google maps research confirmed it as a viable candidate.  As @bluemarble indicated, the grography matches a ship arriving from right to left.  There's also an island to the west, Kohama Island, that is about the right distance away.  On the island, Tumaru beach has matching terrain, view towards Ishigaki, and electric poles that are a match to the webcam image.  The webcam may have been located at the golf course and resort hotel just to the south of the beach.

Well done also to @bluemarble for finding a webcam image of QE's call.  A great find, enabling this to be port number 632 and 17 in Japan.

• Like 2

On 5/29/2023 at 11:22 PM, NE John said:

DSCN2344_Original.jpeg

DSCN2347_Original.jpeg

DSCN2348_Original.jpeg

I looked through Unseen Places list and noticed ANZAC Cove. Do these pictures of Gallipoli (and those pix from another CC member) satisfy the criteria to check off ANZAC Cove?

The Gallipoli landings area is called ANZAC Cove and is more specific than Dardanelles. 

6 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Here's one of my own photos of a location we haven't seen yet.

WhereintheWorld(143).thumb.jpg.d39754ad8a7d8d30c4f0c24351e68411.jpg

Morning @bluemarble.  Your post 328 on 12 May in the QM2 position thread mentioned that you had taken an excursion to Hjørundfjord, Norway during your Alesund port day.  Looking at google maps street view, there are some other photos that are approximate matches.  So I'll guess there?  This fjord isn't on our unseen list, but is unseen.  Your other excursion from Olden to Geirangerfjord mentioned in post 334 has already been seen, so that rules out that location.

3 hours ago, NE John said:

I looked through Unseen Places list and noticed ANZAC Cove. Do these pictures of Gallipoli (and those pix from another CC member) satisfy the criteria to check off ANZAC Cove?

The Gallipoli landings area is called ANZAC Cove and is more specific than Dardanelles. 

My research tells me Anzac Cove, where the Anzac forces landed during the Gallipoli Campaign, is along the western shore of the Gallipoli Peninsula on the Aegean Sea (near Ari Burnu), rather than at the southern tip of the peninsula (Cape Helles) where the British forces landed, or along the shores of the Dardanelles. As such, it doesn't seem likely to be seen during a conventional sail-by of the Dardanelles, so I've been keeping it on our unseen list.

Of course I'll gladly stand corrected if we've seen an image that specifically shows Anzac Cove.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sfred said:

Morning @bluemarble.  Your post 328 on 12 May in the QM2 position thread mentioned that you had taken an excursion to Hjørundfjord, Norway during your Alesund port day.  Looking at google maps street view, there are some other photos that are approximate matches.  So I'll guess there?  This fjord isn't on our unseen list, but is unseen.  Your other excursion from Olden to Geirangerfjord mentioned in post 334 has already been seen, so that rules out that location.

Another inspired guess, but I'm afraid that's not Hjørundfjord. I would love to add Hjørundfjord to our list of Cunard ports, but I can't seem to justify it even as a sail-by call. Excursion boats regularly ply Hjørundfjord which is a short trip from Ålesund, but as far as I know none of the Cunard ships have ever sailed in that fjord.

52 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

My research tells me Anzac Cove, where the Anzac forces landed during the Gallipoli Campaign, is along the western shore of the Gallipoli Peninsula on the Aegean Sea (near Ari Burnu), rather than at the southern tip of the peninsula (Cape Helles) where the British forces landed, or along the shores of the Dardanelles. As such, it doesn't seem likely to be seen during a conventional sail-by of the Dardanelles, so I've been keeping it on our unseen list.

Of course I'll gladly stand corrected if we've seen an image that specifically shows Anzac Cove.

You are correct and didn’t know much about that western front. 
I always enjoy learning something new. 

11 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Here's one of my own photos of a location we haven't seen yet.

WhereintheWorld(143).thumb.jpg.d39754ad8a7d8d30c4f0c24351e68411.jpg

Beautiful picture @bluemarble

I’ll make a guess for Innvikfjorden, Norway…not convinced I have matched the landscape but at least it discounts that cruise by location for everyone else if it’s not right! 

Saturday morning here in Australia, and a new guess in the game.

@bluemarble's post 338 on 13 May in the QM2 position thread indicated that he was in Skjolden.  To get there and from, google maps says QM2 would have passed through Lustrafjorden, Norway

Skjolden wasn't a port on our November QM2 voyage.  It looks amazing.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, sfred said:

Saturday morning here in Australia, and a new guess in the game.

@bluemarble's post 338 on 13 May in the QM2 position thread indicated that he was in Skjolden.  To get there and from, google maps says QM2 would have passed through Lustrafjorden, Norway

Skjolden wasn't a port on our November QM2 voyage.  It looks amazing.

That's correct. That photo was taken from QM2 sailing along Lustrafjorden not long after our departure from Skjolden on 13 May. If you follow route 55 from Skjolden along the northwest shore of the fjord on Google Maps, I think you'll find a pretty good match to the photo about a mile or two before reaching the village of Luster.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Here's a webcam image showing a Cunard ship (at least a portion of one) at a port we haven't seen yet.

WhereintheWorld(144).thumb.jpg.356c806b71380520c6dd506797bf7387.jpg

From the QV current voyage and the word Nord - - Bornholm, Denmark

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NE John said:

From the QV current voyage and the word Nord - - Bornholm, Denmark

9 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Roenne, Bornholm Island, Denmark 

Yes indeed. That's a webcam image showing a portion of QV during her maiden call today to Bornholm (Roenne), Denmark. I believe that's the first call to Bornholm for any of the current Cunard fleet. It's been on our unseen ports list because of a previous visit by Vistafjord reported by @Colin_Cameron.

• Like 3