Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

2 hours ago, Yaldi said:

Messina.

With the well known building being the Basilica Cattedrale di Santa Maria Assunta, and the photo looking down the Strada St Giacomo.

I'm afraid I can't make out any recognisable details of which ship is in the background.

22 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

It’s not Visby is it?

Yes, that is Visby. The webcam capture is from QV's recent call there on 1 August 2023. It's appropriate you were able to identify that image. Here's your quote following your identification of our previous photo of Visby submitted by @sogne way back in post #934.

On 9/29/2020 at 8:52 AM, exlondoner said:

Not only was I on the cruise that called at Visby, I think I am actually in the photograph!

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Yes, that is Visby. The webcam capture is from QV's recent call there on 1 August 2023. It's appropriate you were able to identify that image. Here's your quote following your identification of our previous photo of Visby submitted by @sogne way back in post #934.

Possibly that is why I identified it. I did remember QV was there last week. I think when we were there, the weather was more cheerful. Not only was our visit QE’s maiden call,  but the jetty was fairly recently installed and she was the largest ship to have used it up to that point. We had been expecting to have to tender.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sogne said:

use to be a tender port

vbn.JPG

I'm going to guess this one is Honningsvåg, Norway. It was a tender port for QV (in her pre-2017 configuration) in your post #289. And this photo is a reasonable match to one of the Honningsvåg cruise piers as seen on google street view.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2023 at 4:52 PM, bluemarble said:

I'm going to guess this one is Honningsvåg, Norway. It was a tender port for QV (in her pre-2017 configuration) in your post #289. And this photo is a reasonable match to one of the Honningsvåg cruise piers as seen on google street view.

correct Honningvaag

2 hours ago, sogne said:

I am sure Cunard have called here in the past but not recently. This port could be said to have a slight  connection with Gibraltar. 

bbb.JPG

1 hour ago, Colin_Cameron said:

The shape of that breakwater, but mostly your clue, suggests Ceuta, North Africa.

Very good. Looks like we have another port we can move from our unseen to seen ports lists.

At least two Cunard ships have called at Ceuta in the past. @Colin_Cameron, you reported a call by Vistafjord and I found a call by Caronia on 9 October 1967.

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

Very good. Looks like we have another port we can move from our unseen to seen ports lists.

At least two Cunard ships have called at Ceuta in the past. @Colin_Cameron, you reported a call by Vistafjord and I found a call by Caronia on 9 October 1967.

There’s a YouTube video from a 1950’s era World Voyage on the Caronia. What a wonderful ship and that video is a real gem. Caronia called on the remote St. Helena island complex in the South Atlantic and the video captures that scene. 

27 minutes ago, NE John said:

There’s a YouTube video from a 1950’s era World Voyage on the Caronia. What a wonderful ship and that video is a real gem. Caronia called on the remote St. Helena island complex in the South Atlantic and the video captures that scene. 

I'm familiar with the excellent YouTube video about a Caronia World Voyage from the 1950's titled "CUNARD LINES RMS CARONIA WORLD CRUISE PROMOTIONAL FILM 1950s 71302".

That one includes a South Atlantic call at Tristan da Cunha rather than St Helena. Is there a different video I've missed showing a call at St Helena? I'd love to see that one too.

By the way, Tristan da Cunha is on our unseen ports list, just in case anyone has a photo of that location to share here.

Just now, bluemarble said:

I'm familiar with the excellent YouTube video about a Caronia World Voyage from the 1950's titled "CUNARD LINES RMS CARONIA WORLD CRUISE PROMOTIONAL FILM 1950s 71302".

That one includes a South Atlantic call at Tristan da Cunha rather than St Helena. Is there a different video I've missed showing a call at St Helena? I'd love to see that one too.

By the way, Tristan da Cunha is on our unseen ports list, just in case anyone has a photo of that location to share here.

No, I just lumped all those remote islands into the St. Helena Island Complex, I wasn’t sure if they visited Tristan da Cunha only. Yes, that’s the same video and it would certainly be a once in a lifetime experience to go sail to Tristan da Cunha. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

I never realized how far apart St. Helena is to Tristan da Cunha. I thought they were relatively near each other but I was very off. Tristan da Cunha is extraordinarily remote to anyplace on earth. 

5 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Excellent!  - port number 635.  I never knew that Ceuta was a Spanish autonomous city within the geographic boundaries of Morocco.  A fascinating history is summarised in Wikipedia, passing between the Phoenicians, Rome, Portugal, and Spain.  At the independence of Spanish Morocco in 1956, Ceuta remained part of Spain.  Spanish is the current official language.

I'll classify it as Africa, Spain, Spanish language, former Roman empire, and West longitude.  An interesting port to have in our seen list!  Thanks @sogne and congratulations @Colin_Cameron.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1