Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2023 at 3:53 AM, sfred said:

Here's another QE painting, located off the grand lobby on deck 3.  Both the ship in the foreground and the port in the background have changed a lot since the painting was done. 

20230909_184035.jpg

I don't think anyone has officially identified this one yet although I suspect many of you do recognize this port. I'll go ahead and formally identify this one now as Manhattan, New York.

One online source I found (Liverpool Ships) describes this painting as follows.

"The QUEEN ELIZABETH approaching her berth at Pier 90 in the North River at New York in the late 1940s. (from an original painting by Robert Lloyd)"

• Like 4

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I don't think anyone has officially identified this one yet although I suspect many of you do recognize this port. I'll go ahead and formally identify this one now as Manhattan, New York.

"The QUEEN ELIZABETH approaching her berth at Pier 90 in the North River at New York in the late 1940s. (from an original painting by Robert Lloyd)"

It is now impossible to see the Woolworth building (dead center of picture) from this North (Hudson) River angle. 
The World Trade Center and World Financial Center complexes are now blocking from this perspective. 
Was Pier 90 the official Cunard pier in NYC?

14 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Correct on both - Queen Elizabeth (the first one), and the buildings of Manhattan as seen from the Hudson. 

QE's (the third one) Staircase A had several other excellent paintings of historical Cunard ships.  I would often pause to admire them during my early morning strolls around the decks.  I took photos of two other paintings, one of Aquitania in Liverpool and the other of Berengaria (originally the SS Inperator of Hamburg America Line) in NY.

image.thumb.png.06fb52c0c90e68f9137251f6e615dce4.png

image.thumb.png.77e8ecaae411cfb68ef2e9680c318848.png

Edited by sfred
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, NE John said:

It is now impossible to see the Woolworth building (dead center of picture) from this North (Hudson) River angle. 
The World Trade Center and World Financial Center complexes are now blocking from this perspective. 
Was Pier 90 the official Cunard pier in NYC?

I wasn't all that familiar with which piers Cunard used in Manhattan during the "golden age of ocean travel" (to evoke a Cunard marketing slogan). My research indicates during the heyday of the original Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth the Cunard terminals were at piers 90 and 92. Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth would routinely use pier 90 while other Cunard ships such as Mauretania would use pier 92.

Let's not forget Cunard also used pier 54 earlier. That's perhaps best know as the pier where Carpathia docked to bring the survivors from Titanic to New York. A steel arch with its supporting framework from the former structure at pier 54 can be seen at Hudson River Park in Manhattan.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Let's try this one. It's a webcam capture showing a Cunard ship at a port we've seen before.

WhereintheWorld(146a).thumb.jpg.af1ce2e28887c14f4a8ff18335f7572d.jpg

I think this is Skagen Denmark, previously seen in @rafinmd's post 3815 on 27 August 2021.  Roy's photo was a statue of two of the famous Skagen painters, Michael Ancher and P. S. Krøyer, which @bluemarble identified in post 3820.

The ship is likely QV during one of her Baltic trips?  If so, it is interesting that according to Wikipedia, another of the Skagen painters Laurits Tuxen is famous for his portraits of European royal personalities, including Queen Victoria, Christian IX of Denmark, and Czar Nicholas II.

Edited by sfred
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, sfred said:

I think this is Skagen Denmark, previously seen in @rafinmd's post 3815 on 27 August 2021.  Roy's photo was a statue of two of the famous Skagen painters, Michael Ancher and P. S. Krøyer, which @bluemarble identified in post 3820.

The ship is likely QV during one of her Baltic trips?  If so, it is interesting that according to Wikipedia, another of the Skagen painters Laurits Tuxen is famous for his portraits of European royal personalities, including Queen Victoria, Christian IX of Denmark, and Czar Nicholas II.

Correct. That's QV at Skagen during her call there on August 4, 2023. I figured it might be worthwhile to add an image of the harbor to our collection here to complement that previous statute photo.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

Good guess. It's approximately the right latitude (Skagen is almost the same latitude as Juneau), but I'm afraid the longitude is pretty far off.

I didn’t look at the ship close enough!

21 hours ago, NE John said:

I didn’t look at the ship close enough!

Admittedly, QV and QE are fairly indistinguishable at that distance and resolution.  By the time you're close enough to make out the physical differences between the two, you can sometimes see the name on the bow!

For me, the key clues were the photo being a webcam, and the three blue poles at the cargo wharf.  That, plus the recent country locations of QV/QE, led me to Skagen.

Edited by sfred
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, bluemarble said:

How about this one? It's a webcam capture showing a Cunard ship at a port we've seen before.

WhereintheWorld(151).jpg.54da202b2337e175e367a29740974369.jpg

QM2 obviously. I went through quite a few ports and stumped so far. Looks humid, green, and tropical in this picture. Somewhere in the mid-latitudes. 
It also looks like a lonely port! Usually container ports need a lot of upland for loading and storage. Odd set up of a port. 

Edited by NE John

16 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

My latest webcam capture is indeed showing QM2. It's from QM2's 2023 World Voyage.

That’s exactly where I started, with the itinerary from the 2023 World Cruise. I actually went thru every port image from that World Cruise yesterday and couldn’t find a match. That tiny container port is throwing me off. 

33 minutes ago, NE John said:

That’s exactly where I started, with the itinerary from the 2023 World Cruise. I actually went thru every port image from that World Cruise yesterday and couldn’t find a match. That tiny container port is throwing me off. 

At least you were on the right track then. Look for my next hint tomorrow around this time if no one figures it out before then. Our general rule is one hint per day for images that haven't been identified.

• Thanks 1