Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

I’m confused about the November 10th arrival reference. Isn’t QE off the Arabian coast now?

I didn’t think that Amsterdam had a wide enough entry like shown on the photo to add to confusion. That’s where QV is located today it seems. 
Ah, unless that’s the non-Cunard ship that @Host Hattie is on now?

58 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

I think you've got it. My itineraries and that bridge which is a good match to the 25 de Abril Bridge suggest that's Lisbon.

To me, the giveaway was the combination of the bridge and the monolith one can see on the shore roughly centered in the photo. That is the Monument to Discoveries that commemorates the amazing history of Portuguese explorers in mapping the world.

My photo is from the shore. Each figure on the statue represents a pioneering explorer, with Henry the Navigator at the point.

Lisbon Monument to Discoveries.JPG

• Like 4

1 minute ago, NE John said:

I’m confused about the November 10th arrival reference. Isn’t QE off the Arabian coast now?

I didn’t think that Amsterdam had a wide enough entry like shown on the photo to add to confusion. That’s where QV is located today it seems. 
Ah, unless that’s the non-Cunard ship that @Host Hattie is on now?

Unfortunately I'm not on a ship now, this was November 10th 2015.

6 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Unfortunately I'm not on a ship now, this was November 10th 2015.

Along with Like/Smile/Thanks, there should be an “Ah ha” button option too…🤔

Edited by NE John
  • Like 2

Comparing lighthouse photos online, I seemed to get a match for the lighthouse and building at the left to Imjuiden, Netherlands. I knew nothing about that port, so looked at various Web pages about it, eventually running across a stock photo for sale that looked very much like the right structures.

Therefore, with perhaps more confidence than my last correct guess (which wouldn’t be difficult), I’m going with Imjuiden, Netherlands.

3 hours ago, ExArkie said:

Comparing lighthouse photos online, I seemed to get a match for the lighthouse and building at the left to Imjuiden, Netherlands. I knew nothing about that port, so looked at various Web pages about it, eventually running across a stock photo for sale that looked very much like the right structures.

Therefore, with perhaps more confidence than my last correct guess (which wouldn’t be difficult), I’m going with Imjuiden, Netherlands.

You are correct, The downside being that it is a 45 minute ride into Amsterdam which is where I expected to be docked. 

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Let's try this one. It's a webcam capture showing a Cunard ship arriving at a port we've seen before. I'm figuring this one might be a challenge but let's see if you can prove me wrong about that.

WhereintheWorld(154).jpg.7de9271c7d61774c66de6e048925f9b5.jpg

I’ve seen blue tug boats as newer electric powered tugs and Turkey has some electric tugs in their ports. 
Not sure if that’s the right track? That dome structure is very interesting too. 

13 hours ago, sfred said:

Well, I'm afraid I admit defeat.  I found some potential matches to the dome structure, but none was located in any seaport... 

A reasonably close match I found to it was in Albuquerque. Pretty sure that isn't a Cunard port.

Time to try a different approach...

• Haha 3

I am gratified to be the one who's reply has allowed this amazing thread to reach the milestone of 5000 posts! I'd like to take this opportunity to once again thank everyone who has contributed to keep this thread going for so long. What an excellent idea started by @Host Hattie over three years ago! It has certainly turned into something of a hobby for me both to collect images to contribute and to identify those contributed by others.

For the unidentified port image at hand, I'll follow our practice of providing one hint per day, from more to less obscure, until someone is able to identify it.

For today's hint I'll start by confirming the port is not in Turkey (or New Mexico). I didn't realize what that domed structure is at the time, but it could very well prove to be a useful feature to identify this port. It seems out of place around other the port facilities in the image since it happens to be a museum.

• Like 4