Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

1 hour ago, Solent Richard said:

1431578292_WhereintheWorld53.thumb.jpg.a4d8a75de14bd0200ed3f303a12036b4.jpg

This is Georgetown, Grand Cayman. 

Nice to see a picture of a place which you instantaneously know you have been and taken almost exactly the same one photo.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, carlmm said:

This is Georgetown, Grand Cayman. 

Nice to see a picture of a place which you instantaneously know you have been and taken almost exactly the same one photo.

Congratulations Carl, that was certainly snapped in Georgetown, Grand Cayman.

I obviously didn't need my reserve photograph...

97215984_WhereintheWorld54.thumb.jpg.acb41352edc33af7e05fe7d314182553.jpg

...a busy day at the popular port.

2 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

That looks like Pont Jacques Chaban-Delmas. Since he was Mayor of Bordeaux, that's where I'll guess.  

Even more congratulations Carl, the answers are coming thick and fast this morning.

Bordeaux was certainly the correct answer and again, my reserve photograph was not needed...

1477683434_WhereintheWorld46.jpg.7fa905315fe1bb34f0d3ee985d00579f.jpg

8 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

... I'm having some real problem identifying  Pete's #2943 offerings ...

I'm also finding it difficult to identify either of @Palmeat's latest photos.

I've found what looks like a perfect match to one of the buildings in that first photo, but then none of the other buildings around it seem to match, so I'm not sure what's up with that.

Then there is a hint with the second photo telling us what region it is, but I still can't find a match.

Both will definitely require some more research from me today before I thrown in the towel.

5 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I'm also finding it difficult to identify either of @Palmeat's latest photos.

I've failed too.  I've done lots of searches for several clues, namely the orange and green striped silos in the first picture, and the church clock and bell tower in the second picture.  Also tries for boat registration IM 833 D.  None has found a match.

Edited by sfred

While we continue the search for @Palmeat's latest, here is a contribution from me.  This is a port on our unseen list, although I have not visited it on a ship.  If you would like a hint to narrow the geographic possibilities, have a look at posts 2103, 2104, and 2105.

image.thumb.png.2593c1c96cf85aa98678547a3179ee76.png

Wey-Hey! Normally my contributions get snapped up within minutes so knowing I'm stretching the outstanding minds of great detectives has put an extra spring in my step 😀

No point stringing this out, so the top city is in Brazil and the lower port is in Sardinia. Hopefully this will narrow down the search!

Edited by Palmeat

6 minutes ago, sfred said:

While we continue the search for @Palmeat's latest, here is a contribution from me.  This is a port on our unseen list, although I have not visited it on a ship.  If you would like a hint to narrow the geographic possibilities, have a look at posts 2103, 2104, and 2105.

Having reviewed posts 2103/2105 I am reminded what a newcomer and beginner I am in this game. The clues back in those days were slightly more obscure than those offered in my post above! Unsurprisingly, as to the location of Fred's turtle, I am none the wiser! Mightier minds will doubtless prevail.

21 minutes ago, sfred said:

Would that be Townsville, QLD?

1 minute ago, sfred said:

Ah ha - I'm getting a match for the Sardinia port.  It is Palau, a town near Olbia.  The church is the Chiesa di Nostra Signora delle Grazie.

Correct! It is Palau, Costa Smerelda, Sardinia. Well done sfred  (as an aside, how do you guys incorporate the nickname in responses in blue? Apologies if I've breached protocol by using actual names😬)

11 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Would that be Townsville, QLD?

Correct, well done @Colin_Cameron!  The photo was taken during our Christmas 2020 holiday driving trip in Queensland, a domestic replacement for our cancelled QM2 NY-Caribbean voyage.  While staying in Airlie Beach (the subject of posts 2103-2105) we drove up to Townsville for a day to have a walk about.  The turtle sculpture is along The Strand in Townsville.

4 minutes ago, Palmeat said:

Correct! It is Palau, Costa Smerelda, Sardinia. Well done sfred  (as an aside, how do you guys incorporate the nickname in responses in blue? Apologies if I've breached protocol by using actual names😬)

Thanks!  Last night I had googled "Italy church clock and bell tower" but that wasn't quite the right search combination.  After receiving your hint, I tried "Sardinia church clock and bell tower" and that brought up the match.

The cruisecritic board nicknames can be input by typing the "@" symbol and the person's board username.  As you type the letters, a list of possibilities appears, with the choices narowing as you type more letters.  I don't think there are any strict rules about using board usernames versus real  names.  In my case, my cruisecritic name sfred matches an email address I use so I chose that when I joined the site.  I had lurked for a year or so before signing up. 

@Palmeat, the reason I routinely use board member names with the "@" symbol in my posts (as I have done here with yours) is because that way you should get a notification saying "bluemarble mentioned you in a topic: Where in the world ?" Clicking or tapping on that notification should then take you directly to this post where I have mentioned you. That does of course depend on having your Cruise Critic profile account settings set up to receive notifications when you are mentioned in a post.

On 5/13/2021 at 2:25 AM, Palmeat said:

L1010372.JPG

I had pretty much worked out this Brazilian port yesterday, but as I mentioned earlier I was having a lot of difficulty matching many of the buildings in this view (or perhaps I should say I was having a lot of difficulty not finding many of the buildings in this view that should be there).

The key for me in identifying this port was founding those striped silos along the waterfront near the center of the photo that @sfred mentioned. I believe those are at a facility known as "Ocrim SA Produtos Alimenticios". Working from there, I was eventually able to match three or four of the other taller buildings, but that's about all. I suspect this photo is old enough that many of the buildings in this city's current skyline are nowhere to be found in this photo.

Given the uncertainty about not being able to match many of the buildings in this photo, I will still go ahead and hazard a guess that this port is Belém, Brazil.

• Like 1

Assuming my somewhat shaky identification of Belém, Brazil is correct, I think we are down to just one unidentified photo from @carlmm at the moment. Perhaps now is a good time to provide updated lists of both the ports we have identified so far and the Cunard ports not seen yet. Here are those lists.

Where in the World 2021-05-15.txt

Cunard ports not seen yet 2021-05-15.txt

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

I had pretty much worked out this Brazilian port yesterday, but as I mentioned earlier I was having a lot of difficulty matching many of the buildings in this view (or perhaps I should say I was having a lot of difficulty not finding many of the buildings in this view that should be there).

The key for me in identifying this port was founding those striped silos along the waterfront near the center of the photo that @sfred mentioned. I believe those are at a facility known as "Ocrim SA Produtos Alimenticios". Working from there, I was eventually able to match three or four of the other taller buildings, but that's about all. I suspect this photo is old enough that many of the buildings in this city's current skyline are nowhere to be found in this photo.

Given the uncertainty about not being able to match many of the buildings in this photo, I will still go ahead and hazard a guess that this port is Belém, Brazil.

I too have been busy trying this one and fully concur with your findings @bluemarble . In fact Ive driven along the google street map and came to the same conclusion. 

Has been an interesting one this and while working on it I also found some other travellers interesting blog...

https://www.dreambigtravelfarblog.com/blog/6-days-spent-on-a-boat-from-belem-to-manaus

I trust my congratulations to you aren't premature. 😄

6 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Assuming my somewhat shaky identification of Belém, Brazil is correct, I think we are down to just one unidentified photo from @carlmm at the moment. Perhaps now is a good time to provide updated lists of both the ports we have identified so far and the Cunard ports not seen yet. Here are those lists.

Where in the World 2021-05-15.txt 7.95 kB · 1 download

Cunard ports not seen yet 2021-05-15.txt 7.28 kB · 1 download

Thanks for that John. 

Fortunately I still have something to offer so may I try this one first...

258563708_WhereintheWorld24.jpg.b38d28b14ba03299026bd36bca5c9652.jpg

19 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Not a very good quality photo, but this is one I can contribute of a Cunard port we haven't seen yet.

image.thumb.png.13a52da03480e08b4d20e0f4b8662ad9.png

@bluemarble I was about to post this one - I think it's Port Suez? Additionally, you are quite correct with your identification of Belem. Congratulations. Finally, many thanks for updating the lists. 

Edited by Palmeat
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, sfred said:

Thanks!  Last night I had googled "Italy church clock and bell tower" but that wasn't quite the right search combination.  After receiving your hint, I tried "Sardinia church clock and bell tower" and that brought up the match.

The cruisecritic board nicknames can be input by typing the "@" symbol and the person's board username.  As you type the letters, a list of possibilities appears, with the choices narowing as you type more letters.  I don't think there are any strict rules about using board usernames versus real  names.  In my case, my cruisecritic name sfred matches an email address I use so I chose that when I joined the site.  I had lurked for a year or so before signing up. 

Thanks @sfred - as you can see, I've joined the 21st century😀

• Haha 1

As I'm away for a few days on a UK Staycation, may I take the liberty of adding a couple more locations to consider in case I'm unable to contribute? The first 2 images are the same place - I added the 2nd to offer a little more info (our guide advised the skyline was used as a backdrop in a King Kong film?). The other location is equally challenging, so I'll offer a clue - it's on the Caribbean side of Central America. Bon chance!

IMG_1934.JPG

IMG_1948.JPG

L1040555.JPG

On 5/12/2021 at 11:44 AM, carlmm said:

So how about this one?

Quest 15.JPG

On 5/12/2021 at 11:53 AM, Solent Richard said:

Those umbrella shades look familiar. My guess for the day - could this be Pattaya, Thailand?

On 5/12/2021 at 12:12 PM, carlmm said:

I' am afraid, Richard, no, it is not Pattaya. 

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

, I think we are down to just one unidentified photo from @carlmm at the moment.

Before adding another photograph, let's say: Richard's way to approach this one was not that bad.