Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

7 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

A little bit of an aside: I hope nobody minds.

While researching Cunard Ports I came across this picture of some Cunard employees.

What did they do?

CSW.JPG

Meant to add that it’s a job no longer to be found within Cunard.

Working out a date, even approximately would be a good first step.

9 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

A little bit of an aside: I hope nobody minds.

While researching Cunard Ports I came across this picture of some Cunard employees.

What did they do?

CSW.JPG

Coal trimmers?   😃

Alternatively, ladies' maids/stewardesses?

On 5/15/2021 at 11:14 AM, Essiesmom said:

Here's one on the list not seen...one I've actually been to...

enhance

Doubt anyone will have trouble with it...  EM

Still waiting for offers on this one...

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

Another one on the list:

enhance

Should be easy to someone who has been there.  EM

Looks like a "red right returning" region B country, which narrows the geography to the Americas, Japan, Korea, Philippines, and Taiwan.  But I'm afraid I don't recognise the specific port. 

On 5/15/2021 at 2:21 AM, Palmeat said:

As I'm away for a few days on a UK Staycation, may I take the liberty of adding a couple more locations to consider in case I'm unable to contribute? The first 2 images are the same place - I added the 2nd to offer a little more info (our guide advised the skyline was used as a backdrop in a King Kong film?). ...

IMG_1934.JPG

IMG_1948.JPG

I think this is our oldest unidentified port, so now that it has just turned Wednesday here, I'll give this one a try.

The reference to King Kong helped but not in the way I was expecting. Trying to match this to filming locations for King Kong movies didn't pan out for me. But then the claim wasn't that any filming had been done here. Rather, the statement was that the skyline in the second photo had been used to create a backdrop for a King Kong movie.

The aha moment occurred when I read that the King Kong story may have been inspired by a 1926 expedition to Komodo Island searching for Komodo dragons. I'm finding the profile of the hills in the second photo is an excellent match to the island of Komodo, Indonesia.

On 5/15/2021 at 10:14 AM, Essiesmom said:

Here's one on the list not seen...one I've actually been to...

enhance

Doubt anyone will have trouble with it...  EM

3 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Still waiting for offers on this one...

Having just used up my self-imposed limit of one port identification for today, I'll be glad to identify this one tomorrow if no one else does so first. By way of offering encouragement toward that end, I think this is a colorful port.

25 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Having just used up my self-imposed limit of one port identification for today, I'll be glad to identify this one tomorrow if no one else does so first. By way of offering encouragement toward that end, I think this is a colorful port.

enhance

Thanks for that hint, @bluemarble.    Amber Cove, Dominican Republic.  More specifically, the resort just to the south of the cruise terminal, and just to the north of Restaurante Club Náutico Isabel de Torres restaurant, adjacent to the pier in the distance of the photo.

Edited by sfred
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Good question. They were photographed at their workplace. So, on land.

I still think working out a timeframe is the best way to go.

Judging by the dress of the ladies, and comparing with those I've seen on my local historical fb pages, I'd go for roughly the First World War years.

Other than that it's still, for me at least, a mystery.

Edited by Solent Richard

8 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I think this is our oldest unidentified port, so now that it has just turned Wednesday here, I'll give this one a try.

The reference to King Kong helped but not in the way I was expecting. Trying to match this to filming locations for King Kong movies didn't pan out for me. But then the claim wasn't that any filming had been done here. Rather, the statement was that the skyline in the second photo had been used to create a backdrop for a King Kong movie.

The aha moment occurred when I read that the King Kong story may have been inspired by a 1926 expedition to Komodo Island searching for Komodo dragons. I'm finding the profile of the hills in the second photo is an excellent match to the island of Komodo, Indonesia.

Congratulations John - Komodo it is. Photo of resident below.

IMG_1978.JPG

8 hours ago, sfred said:

enhance

Thanks for that hint, @bluemarble.    Amber Cove, Dominican Republic.  More specifically, the resort just to the south of the cruise terminal, and just to the north of Restaurante Club Náutico Isabel de Torres restaurant, adjacent to the pier in the distance of the photo.

Correct.

4 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I haven't figured out the location for either your last two port photos yet, @Essiesmom. But I can identify this ship as Norwegian Majesty. That means this photo would have been taken no later than 2009.

Taken June 2008.  Another view:

enhance

15 hours ago, sfred said:

Looks like a "red right returning" region B country, which narrows the geography to the Americas, Japan, Korea, Philippines, and Taiwan.  But I'm afraid I don't recognise the specific port. 

Another view:

enhance

17 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Not much to go on here?

enhance

@bluemarblehas identified the ship.  The port is Charleston, South Carolina USA.  While a little blurry in the above photo, the church steeple at the right is a good shape match to St. Philip's anglican church.  The three white roofed buildings at the left are located on Waterfront Park Pier.

QV was at Charleston on an overnight call, on 11-12 March 2018 before returning transatlantic to Southampton via the Azores.

1 hour ago, sfred said:

@bluemarblehas identified the ship.  The port is Charleston, South Carolina USA.  While a little blurry in the above photo, the church steeple at the right is a good shape match to St. Philip's anglican church.  The three white roofed buildings at the left are located on Waterfront Park Pier.

QV was at Charleston on an overnight call, on 11-12 March 2018 before returning transatlantic to Southampton via the Azores.

Well done, @sfred. You identified Charleston the "correct" way. I had figured it out earlier by finding that photo in @Essiesmom's posting history.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Well done, @sfred. You identified Charleston the "correct" way. I had figured it out earlier by finding that photo in @Essiesmom's posting history.

Must have been deep into my history...don’t remember posting it!  Well, maybe I do.  I think there is a pic of people at the lifeboat drill.  Can’t post it now as I haven’t mastered doing that from my iPad. EM

Edited by Essiesmom