Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

1 hour ago, Solent Richard said:

Well I believe I approached this 'beach' from the land side during my Vietnam Battlefield Tour visit passing over  the the Hải Vân  Pass ...

1983328350_DiaPhanPassbetweenHueandDanangcopy.thumb.jpg.114cb249e0640c17905fc5f96732d110.jpg

and down into Da Nang where the US Forces first landed in 1965...

623240202_DaNangBeach.thumb.jpg.d679780fb0ce5c8a89ccafeeb81d7226.jpg

So  my hunch for the day is Da Nang, Vietnam.

Well done Richard - Da Nang, Vietnam is correct!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Palmeat said:

I'll need to spend a bit of time on @bluemarble's latest submission. Whilst doing this, here are a couple of new ones from me (for some reason, my 2nd picture doesn't want to load properly so hope this is visible!)

L1020247.JPG

sc0006246d.tif 3.85 MB · 2 downloads

Good morning @Palmeat . May I just point out that your second picture is only available via a 'download' tan the moment. 😁

1 hour ago, Palmeat said:

Well done Richard - Da Nang, Vietnam is correct!

I looked several times at Da Nang, as well as the other Vietnam ports on our list, but never found a match to the buildings in @Palmeat's original photo.  Perhaps there is a stretch of coastline that I missed, or perhaps the buildings were renovated/replaced.

On 5/25/2021 at 6:28 AM, Palmeat said:

Clues for my pair (to spare the eyesight of @sfred) :

1. 2nd largest of a group of Caribbean islands where the capital was recently rocked by nature - additional photo follows.

2. Former French colonial port famous for its sandy beaches. 2 photos follow - in the second, this large pagoda overlooking the beach was under construction in early 2009

Hope this additional info helps identify these Cunard ports.

L1030596.JPG

Aha. I do also remember back in 2014 we were on an APT Mekong River Cruise that included a tour of Vietnam. On that occasion we flew from Hanoi...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2014/12/29/far-eastern-trilogy-part-2-good-morning-vietnam/

to Da Nang and later went on an excursion to Hue. On that journey we passed that very same Pagoda....

1379214165_DSC_5435copy.thumb.jpg.9c067c2dad6589d54c4821d7b0c8ba37.jpg

57 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

Good morning @Palmeat . May I just point out that your second picture is only available via a 'download' tan the moment. 😁

Thanks Richard  Yes, sorry - couldn't seem to make it appear 'normally' Possibly because it's an older 35mm scanned photo with a larger file size? Have tried others from the same port, but can't make any work. Instead, here's a different port of call from the list which does work.😀

IMG_1061.JPG

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bluemarble said:

After indicating earlier that I had figured out this port, I'll go ahead and identify it now as my port for today. I think this one is Ocho Rios, Jamaica.

I was not able to find a Pullmantur Monarch itinerary which specifically lists Ocho Rios as a port of call. A 2016-2017 Pullmantur brochure contains a Monarch itinerary which simply lists "Jamaica" with a notation of select optional excursions to Playa Negril, Ocho Rios & Dunn's River Falls. A 2018-2019 Pullmantur brochure contains a Monarch itinerary listing "Montego Bay, Jamaica". There's photographic evidence showing Monarch was in Ocho Rios on one occasion during 2016 and once again during 2019 when those two brochure itineraries applied. Depending on the date of @Essiesmom's first photo, that may be evidence of a third such occasion.

Picture was taken Feb. 11, 2019.  EM

3 hours ago, Palmeat said:

(for some reason, my 2nd picture doesn't want to load properly so hope this is visible!)

@Palmeat, I believe the issue with that second photo is that it is in .tif format. I don't think this forum software knows how to display a .tif file as an inline image within a post. Instead it treats the image as a file attachment to download.

I have downloaded your photo and converted it to a .jpg file which this software is able to display as an inline image. Here is your photo as a .jpg file viewable within a post.

sc0006246d.thumb.jpg.9e4279d3b4bb95c335be51fb0ff81067.jpg

8 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Picture was taken Feb. 11, 2019.  EM

Thanks. That is a third occasion for Monarch in Ocho Rios since the other photo I found from 2019 was taken April 22, 2019. It would appear several (if not all) of Monarch's 2019 calls to Jamaica were changed from Montego Bay (as listed in the brochure) to Ocho Rios instead.

16 hours ago, bluemarble said:

1809456839_WhereintheWorld(75).jpg.7b8093fb1b823d00f5d2cad654930fb5.jpg

The lighthouse should be a much easier clue, given its distinctive shape, colours, and external spiral staircase, but I'm not having any luck so far.  I have to get to a work project today, so I'll resume my research later on if it hasn't already been guessed.

18 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Submitted for your consideration is this photo of a location on the unseen Cunard ports list. This was taken by relatives who have visited here during land vacations.

1809456839_WhereintheWorld(75).jpg.7b8093fb1b823d00f5d2cad654930fb5.jpg

Ah ha!  Finally found the lighthouse.  Playa del Carmen, Quintana Roo, Mexico.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sfred said:

Ah ha!  Finally found the lighthouse.  Playa del Carmen, Quintana Roo, Mexico.

Yes indeed, that's Playa del Carmen.

If a hint had been necessary, I was going to ask where the title of this thread has been used in another context. That would have referred to the video game/media franchise "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?".

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bluemarble said:

@Palmeat, I believe the issue with that second photo is that it is in .tif format. I don't think this forum software knows how to display a .tif file as an inline image within a post. Instead it treats the image as a file attachment to download.

I have downloaded your photo and converted it to a .jpg file which this software is able to display as an inline image. Here is your photo as a .jpg file viewable within a post.

sc0006246d.thumb.jpg.9e4279d3b4bb95c335be51fb0ff81067.jpg

Thank you @bluemarble. Very kind. I'm thinking this should be an easy one!

6 hours ago, Palmeat said:

Thank you @bluemarble. Very kind. I'm thinking this should be an easy one!

I probably should identify @Essiesmom's beach photo next since I think that's gone unidentified the longest. But I'll go ahead and give this photo a try for today instead.

sc0006246d.thumb.jpg.9e4279d3b4bb95c335b

This one wasn't easy for me since I have to admit I'd never heard of this location before compiling our list of unseen Cunard ports. It made that list by virtue of finding a July 1987 QE2 itinerary for a six-night cruise from Southampton calling at Lisbon, Gibraltar and Praia da Rocha.

I spent quite a while trying to find this one in the Americas before turning my attention to Europe.

I think this one is Praia da Rocha, Portugal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

I probably should identify @Essiesmom's beach photo next since I think that's gone unidentified the longest. But I'll go ahead and give this photo a try for today instead.

sc0006246d.thumb.jpg.9e4279d3b4bb95c335b

This one wasn't easy for me since I have to admit I'd never heard of this location before compiling our list of unseen Cunard ports. It made that list by virtue of finding a July 1987 QE2 itinerary for a six-night cruise from Southampton calling at Lisbon, Gibraltar and Praia da Rocha.

I spent quite a while trying to find this one in the Americas before turning my attention to Europe.

I think this one is Praia da Rocha, Portugal.

Bang on @bluemarble! Have you ever got one wrong? Praia da Rocha (in 1993) is correct

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Palmeat said:

Bang on @bluemarble! Have you ever got one wrong? Praia da Rocha (in 1993) is correct

On yes, I messed up on one of @Host Hattie's photos of QV. I thought I was being tricky discovering the date of the photo within its file name "IMG_20180907_151333_1.jpg" and quickly guessed Rapallo since that was listed on my QV itineraries for Sep 7, 2018. It turned out QV was actually at nearby Santa Margherita Ligure that day. I've learned to be a bit more thorough with my research since then. 🙂

On 5/26/2021 at 8:54 PM, Palmeat said:

IMG_1061.JPG

Morning all.  This is Positano, Italy.  The Hotel di Bucca banner at the bottom right corner was a good clue.  I've never been here - looks wonderful.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sfred said:

Morning all.  This is Positano, Italy.  The Hotel di Bucca banner at the bottom right corner was a good clue.  I've never been here - looks wonderful.

Another excellent piece of sleuthing @sfred. Positano is correct. It's pretty but very crowded with tourists (like me!)😀

Well what a clever bunch you guys are, all to be congratulated with narrowing down the outstanding ports. 

On those grounds I'll seek in and add two of my own before I head off back to my allotment (Which sadly isn't on the Cunard list of calls) and continue doing my bit for keeping the home food growing.

How's about these two then, both with an oriental flavour...

1838040094_WhereintheWorld108.jpg.437f33e4d0ac32bbb00ea6a27d84a18f.jpg

2097939471_WhereintheWorld86.jpg.0d515dddb7a0d7c35c6fb800a57c4ae0.jpg

1 hour ago, Solent Richard said:

Well what a clever bunch you guys are, all to be congratulated with narrowing down the outstanding ports. 

On those grounds I'll seek in and add two of my own before I head off back to my allotment (Which sadly isn't on the Cunard list of calls) and continue doing my bit for keeping the home food growing.

How's about these two then, both with an oriental flavour...

1838040094_WhereintheWorld108.jpg.437f33e4d0ac32bbb00ea6a27d84a18f.jpg

2097939471_WhereintheWorld86.jpg.0d515dddb7a0d7c35c6fb800a57c4ae0.jpg

Good morning Richard @Solent Ɍichard. I'll have a crack at your first location - which looks like China (unless I'm a victim of a cunning double-bluff!). Doesn't narrow it down much. Haven't been able to identify the monument specifically, but the statue isn't Confucius even though the 'Confucius Idea for a Harmonious Society' mantra is featured on the backdrop. So I was thinking this might be an educational institute, especially as the wording is in English, with some local dignitary captured in stone? Trouble is, there are Confucius centres of learning everywhere in China! So I've plumped for the most likely port from the list which is Tsingtao, or Qingdao (they're the same place and even if I'm wrong - which I probably am - @bluemarblemight wish to delete the Qingdao duplicate?).

Anyway - Ta-Da! It's Tsingtao.............or is it?😀

Edited by Palmeat
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Palmeat said:

... Tsingtao, or Qingdao (they're the same place and even if I'm wrong - which I probably am - @bluemarblemight wish to delete the Qingdao duplicate?).

Ah, thanks for pointing out the duplication of Tsingtao and Qingdao in the unseen ports list. I'll take care of that duplication in the next versions of the ports lists.

5 hours ago, Palmeat said:

Good morning Richard @Solent Ɍichard. I'll have a crack at your first location - which looks like China (unless I'm a victim of a cunning double-bluff!). Doesn't narrow it down much. Haven't been able to identify the monument specifically, but the statue isn't Confucius even though the 'Confucius Idea for a Harmonious Society' mantra is featured on the backdrop. So I was thinking this might be an educational institute, especially as the wording is in English, with some local dignitary captured in stone? Trouble is, there are Confucius centres of learning everywhere in China! So I've plumped for the most likely port from the list which is Tsingtao, or Qingdao (they're the same place and even if I'm wrong - which I probably am - @bluemarblemight wish to delete the Qingdao duplicate?).

Anyway - Ta-Da! It's Tsingtao.............or is it?😀

Good afternoon Peter @Palmeat . Regrettably that first location photograph isn't Tsingtao, though you may well have 'hit the nail on the head' so as to speak. 😁

1 hour ago, ExArkie said:

This looks like a statue in Pattaya, Thailand, of Sun Yat-Sen on the grounds of Wat  Wang Sam Sien.

Well, it just goes to show what a lousy detective I'd make. Having Googled Wat Wang Sam Sien I'm sure @Solent Ɍichardwill shortly confirm your are correct in identifying Pattaya @ExArkie. Congratulations.

Edited by Palmeat
  • Like 1