Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

22 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

041.JPG

Let's see if I can identify the other two ferries in this Banjul, Gambia photo (in addition to the Johé at the far left). The writing blacked out below the bridge of the ferry in the right foreground reads "Gambia Ferries". I can see why that would have been a giveaway! That ferry is a good match to the Aljamdu. The ferry in the center background is a good match to the Kansala.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Now back to identifying port photos. The ferry Johe seen in this photo helped identify this port since it operates on the Banjul-Barra route.

I think this one is Banjul, Gambia.

I found a good article and photos of the ferry Johe from a refit done back in 2013.  The refit certainly looked overdue at the time!

https://www.project-wise.com/portfolio/johe-ferry-gambia/

Johe isn't currently listed on marinetraffic.com, however.  Perhaps it has since been renamed or repurposed.

23 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I think this one is Banjul, Gambia.

Well done.

Yes, 'Gambia Ferries' was just too easy. And even 'Aljamdu' wasn't much of a challenge. When I googled 'Johe' I got several other ferries but not this one, so I left that in.

17 hours ago, sfred said:

Johe isn't currently listed on marinetraffic.com, however.  Perhaps it has since been renamed or repurposed.

It is listed on today's timetable due to sail at 5pm https://www.ferries.gm/schedule/

There is an unnamed passenger vessel sitting at the slipway in Banjul so that could be it.

22 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Let's see if I can identify the other two ferries in this Banjul, Gambia photo (in addition to the Johé at the far left). The writing blacked out below the bridge of the ferry in the right foreground reads "Gambia Ferries". I can see why that would have been a giveaway! That ferry is a good match to the Aljamdu. The ferry in the center background is a good match to the Kansala.

Congratulations and a Grrrrh from me @bluemarble

That's the second port I had up my sleeve that's now been identified. This was my Banjul photo for a teaser...

193102009_WhereintheWorld95.thumb.jpg.f1f88f653e472c9de77d5222b6752e7b.jpg

4 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

Congratulations and a Grrrrh from me @bluemarble

That's the second port I had up my sleeve that's now been identified. This was my Banjul photo for a teaser...

Sorry about that, but it's happened to a few of us. (several times)

Your's would have been a little more difficult I think.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Sorry about that, but it's happened to a few of us. (several times)

Your's would have been a little more difficult I think.

Hey no problem whatsoever Colin. It's probably my completive nature getting the better of me, particularly as a late arrival to the thread. (and of course my head has only just cleared after Saturday's Chelsea celebrations).😁

37 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

I've got to have a stab at this one, strong idea this is Cephalonia.

@Solent Ɍichard- well done Richard, it is indeed Cephalonia/Kephalonia (the island) but there's a bonus point for naming the port. That said I don't know if the port is the one a Cunard ship has visited as 'the list' simply references Cephalonia.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Palmeat said:

@Solent Ɍichard- well done Richard, it is indeed Cephalonia/Kephalonia (the island) but there's a bonus point for naming the port. That said I don't know if the port is the one a Cunard ship has visited as 'the list' simply references Cephalonia.

Ah, very good point! I had also come to the conclusion your photo was Cephalonia without realizing what I had found is not the only cruise port for that island.

Cephalonia is a fairly common destination for the current Cunard fleet, but it's only listed that way on the Cunard itineraries. From the evidence I've found, those calls by Cunard have been to another port on that island where apparently most cruise ships call these days.

Looks like we may have to list two separate ports for Cephalonia on our port list and we may not be able to confirm yours specifically as a Cunard port. An intriguing addition to the ports seen on this thread nonetheless.

1 hour ago, Palmeat said:

Many years since I was there so in search of that bonus point let me try   Fiskardo

1636070193_SeaDreamYachtClub.thumb.jpg.a3003fcf30982e3312ab10230da178ec.jpg

1988799490_RichardFiskardoportraitcopyright.jpg.7ee38080a946abe8bd6df9e4caa516d8.jpg

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

Many years since I was there so in search of that bonus point let me try   Fiskardo

1636070193_SeaDreamYachtClub.thumb.jpg.a3003fcf30982e3312ab10230da178ec.jpg

1988799490_RichardFiskardoportraitcopyright.jpg.7ee38080a946abe8bd6df9e4caa516d8.jpg

@Solent Ɍichard Congratulations! It is indeed Fiskardo. By the looks of your photo you visited aboard Sea Dream, formerly Sea Goddess, so at a stretch and with a wink it's Cunard confirmed!?😉 

45 minutes ago, Palmeat said:

@Solent Ɍichard Congratulations! It is indeed Fiskardo. By the looks of your photo you visited aboard Sea Dream, formerly Sea Goddess, so at a stretch and with a wink it's Cunard confirmed!?😉 

That is interesting to see a former Cunard ship made it to Fiskardo, isn't it? Perhaps she made it there as a Sea Goddess or perhaps another Cunard ship made it there, but so far I've been unable to confirm that.

I'll add Fiskardo to the list of ports we've seen so far, and for now I'll footnote it as an unconfirmed Cunard port (similar to Richards Bay where the best I could do was find a call by the ex-Sagafjord). Maybe someone else here can confirm a Cunard ship called at Fiskardo while it was a Cunard ship.

I'll also add Argostoli to the list of Cunard ports we haven't seen here yet. That's the Cephalonia port I can confirm has been visited by a Cunard ship.

Perhaps now is a good time for me to post the updated port lists. Here is what I have as of now for the list of ports we've seen on this thread and the list of Cunard ports we haven't seen here yet. Of course the port photos that are yet to be identified are still on the unseen ports list. Truth be told, I'm struggling with all three of those as-yet unidentified photos.

Where in the World 2021-05-31.txt

Cunard ports not seen yet 2021-05-31.txt

Edited by bluemarble
  • Thanks 1

Thank you @bluemarble for keeping these records up to date on our behalf. Appreciated. I have a few more ports on the 'not yet seen' list to contribute, but have not visited or photographed the majority which include some very obscure places! I have a number of other ports not on the list which might warrant further investigation as possible Cunard ports of call - but I'll leave those until I've exhausted my contribution to the current list. Thanks again.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Another distinctive lighthouse help identify the port in this photo.

I think this one is Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.

Yes, that’s puerto Vallarta.  I decided the view of Walmart would be too easy.  EM

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Another distinctive lighthouse help identify the port in this photo.

I think this one is Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.

I mistakenly began searching for "port control tower", instead of lighthouse.  Also tried to find a patrol boat 271.  Neither got any matches, and then unfortunately I needed to go to work for the day.  This project work stuff really intrudes on the much more important Cruise Critic activity.  🙂

1 minute ago, sfred said:

I mistakenly began searching for "port control tower", instead of lighthouse.  Also tried to find a patrol boat 271.  Neither got any matches, and then unfortunately I needed to go to work for the day.  This project work stuff really intrudes on the much more important Cruise Critic activity.  🙂

Yeah, I hadn't been getting very far trying to identify P271 either. After the fact I might have figured out that ship to be Cabo Corrientes which one site says is the ex USCGC Cape Carter.

31 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Okay, another one...

enhance

Very good and right on cue. I haven't been able to figure out your other two unidentified port photos, so I wasn't sure I was going to be able to identify a port today. This looks like the one I mentioned yesterday is the Cephalonia port which has definitely been visited by a Cunard ship.

I think this one is Argostoli, Cephalonia, Greece.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Palmeat said:

20 hours ago, bluemarble said:

That is interesting to see a former Cunard ship made it to Fiskardo, isn't it? Perhaps she made it there as a Sea Goddess or perhaps another Cunard ship made it there, but so far I've been unable to confirm that.

I'll add Fiskardo to the list of ports we've seen so far, and for now I'll footnote it as an unconfirmed Cunard port (similar to Richards Bay where the best I could do was find a call by the ex-Sagafjord). Maybe someone else here can confirm a Cunard ship called at Fiskardo while it was a Cunard ship.

I'll also add Argostoli to the list of Cunard ports we haven't seen here yet. That's the Cephalonia port I can confirm has been visited by a Cunard ship.

Perhaps now is a good time for me to post the updated port lists. Here is what I have as of now for the list of ports we've seen on this thread and the list of Cunard ports we haven't seen here yet. Of course the port photos that are yet to be identified are still on the unseen ports list. Truth be told, I'm struggling with all three of those as-yet unidentified photos.

Where in the World 2021-05-31.txt 8.95 kB · 4 downloads

Cunard ports not seen yet 2021-05-31.txt 6.3 kB · 5 downloads

Good afternoon all.

Never wishing to stray from fact I must confess that my photographs of Fiskardo, including the Sea Dream, were taken there in 2009 when in matter of fact my wife and I had rented a villa there on one of our breaks between cruising...

524494699_Villaaspectfromwater.jpg.129fc885e9b813118c721f94cce4d3d9.jpg

No one was more surprised one morning while opening up the balcony patio to see the Sea Dream anchored pretty close...

1424912054_VillaBalconyView1.jpg.a6259d6a07d4c18daeae16704f3c95c8.jpg

1002240753_SeaDreamYachtClub1.jpg.14cb122a1bc2a9a40f4791ebc2c46ea7.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Very good and right on cue. I haven't been able to figure out your other two unidentified port photos, so I wasn't sure I was going to be able to identify a port today. This looks like the one I mentioned yesterday is the Cephalonia port which has definitely been visited by a Cunard ship.

I think this one is Argostoli, Cephalonia, Greece.

Yes indeed, that is Argostoli.  We were there on Nieuw Amsterdam, with MSC Armonia tendering.  2012.  EM

Edited by Essiesmom
  • Like 2