Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

8 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I may be stealing @sfred's thunder with this one since he had been trying to identify Hellesylt, Norway as this port a few days ago. That may have served as a cue for @Essiesmom to post these photos.

I think this is Whittier, Alaska.

No thunder stolen at all, @bluemarble. 😃   Well done for identfying the port.  I truly had no idea, although I'm a little embarassed now that I didn't think of it.  I would have recognised Whittier from @Essiesmom's first photo in post 3272, but I didn't remember the mountain and glacier valley shapes in the original posting from my earlier searches for Hellesylt buildings in the Whittier area.  Perhaps a further excuse is that our QE call to Anchorage in May 2019 did not use Whittier, instead docking at Port of Alaska nearby to the city, so I don't have firsthand eyeball experience.

54 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

I don’t think I have any more photos to contribute.  There is one other city on the list I have sailed from many times, but not from the area that would have been used by the small ships.  EM

Maybe contribute anyway?  Your photos have been very interesing.  We can always consider afterward whether it is eligible as a "Cunard" port for the list. 

I've been out of photos for awhile now, aside from the occasional inspiration to borrow one from friends.  I eagerly await the time when we can all take some brand new photos from restarted voyages.

• Like 2

Those photos work as far as I'm concerned, @Essiesmom as representative of the port city in question. I don't have anything more specific than the name of that city anyway in the itinerary I found to justify adding it to our list of unseen Cunard ports. Also, as this thread has progressed, in order to keep it going we've stretched the original premise quite a bit with plenty of photos not showing a ship, not taken from a ship, and not showing any features related to the city's actual port facilities.

I think @Solent Ɍichard's post 3268 remains unsolved.  Unfortunately I have no idea, although I'll try the excuse that I've already submitted a guess today and have to wait for tomorrow (by which time hopefully someone will have recognised it)  😃.

Meantime, here's a contribution of a Cunard port photo from a hundred years ago in 1921.  The photo is in the public domain from wikimedia commons.  I've verified in google maps that the heritage buildings still proudly exist, although repurposed for modern uses.

image.png.3eb68ebe092389f77d970288a3c1d418.png

57 minutes ago, sfred said:

Works for me too!  The Dames Point Bridge in Jacksonville FL?

Yes, indeed.  I don’t think anyone has used it but Carnival although NCL had ships there and further up the river at the beginning of the shutdown.  EM

11 hours ago, sfred said:

I think @Solent Ɍichard's post 3268 remains unsolved.  Unfortunately I have no idea, although I'll try the excuse that I've already submitted a guess today and have to wait for tomorrow (by which time hopefully someone will have recognised it)  😃.

Meantime, here's a contribution of a Cunard port photo from a hundred years ago in 1921.  The photo is in the public domain from wikimedia commons.  I've verified in google maps that the heritage buildings still proudly exist, although repurposed for modern uses.

image.png.3eb68ebe092389f77d970288a3c1d418.png

Since @Solent Richard's latest contributions are proving to be a challenge, I'll take this one for today. That's the Barbican Waterfront in Plymouth, England.

As an additional exercise, here is what I've found as the modern uses for those buildings (from left to right).

• Rockets & Rascals (bicycle shop and cafe)
  • Blues Bar & Grill (cafe, restaurant, bar, live music)
  • A.E. Monsen Ship Stores (possibly to be converted to a shop, cafe, bar or restaurant on lower level and flats above)
  • Custom House (Bonne Santé cafe, bar, restaurant, event venue)
  • OMG (cafe, bar, club)
  • The Three Crowns (pub)

The two or three buildings at the far right appear to be gone now, replaced with a small green space and car park.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1

I made a stupid assumption at the start, that PH was the registration for Peterhead. And knowing that we had already discounted that a while ago I've spent quite a long time trying to match the photo to Aberdeen harbour. When I eventually checked it out, matching the photo was easy.

Only to find @bluemarble had beaten me to it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

I made a stupid assumption at the start, that PH was the registration for Peterhead. And knowing that we had already discounted that a while ago I've spent quite a long time trying to match the photo to Aberdeen harbour. When I eventually checked it out, matching the photo was easy.

Only to find @bluemarble had beaten me to it. 

Oh, sorry about that. I imagined that one might have been right up your alley so to speak.

OK - I have a few ports of call left on the list, but struggling to find 'port' photos so in the meantime, and as we're stretching the envelope, here's a port which I'm confident must have been visited by a Cunard ship at some time.

L1020118.JPG

5 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Since @Solent Richard's latest contributions are proving to be a challenge, I'll take this one for today. That's the Barbican Waterfront in Plymouth, England.

As an additional exercise, here is what I've found as the modern uses for those buildings (from left to right).

• Rockets & Rascals (bicycle shop and cafe)
  • Blues Bar & Grill (cafe, restaurant, bar, live music)
  • A.E. Monsen Ship Stores (possibly to be converted to a shop, cafe, bar or restaurant on lower level and flats above)
  • Custom House (Bonne Santé cafe, bar, restaurant, event venue)
  • OMG (cafe, bar, club)
  • The Three Crowns (pub)

The two or three buildings at the far right appear to be gone now, replaced with a small green space and car park.

Plymouth is correct, well done both @bluemarbleand @Colin_Cameron.  And bonus points for identifying the modern occupants of the 1921 buildings.  I was very happy to see so many of the heritage buildings along the waterfront in good condition and in active use.  Some great current photos of the inside and outside of the Custom House are shown on the web page of the bar and restaurant in the building:  Scroll down a few screens to see them.

https://customhouseplymouth.co.uk/

An additional hint in the 1921 picture is on the building currently occupied by The Three Crowns.  In 1921 the building was used by the Octagon Brewery Ltd., and breweryhistory.com lists Octagon as founded 1861 in Plymouth.  Octagon closed in 1970, but it is great that you can still get a pint in the building.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Palmeat said:

OK - I have a few ports of call left on the list, but struggling to find 'port' photos so in the meantime, and as we're stretching the envelope, here's a port which I'm confident must have been visited by a Cunard ship at some time.

L1020118.JPG

Hi @Palmeat.  This is Amalfi Italy.  The castle on the hilltop is the Torre dello Ziro, with the Belvedere cimitero monumentale just below.  Also clearly shown is the clock and bell tower of the Amalfi cathedral in the centre of the photo.

Whether or not Amalfi is a Cunard port, I cannot say.

2 hours ago, sfred said:

Hi @Palmeat.  This is Amalfi Italy.  The castle on the hilltop is the Torre dello Ziro, with the Belvedere cimitero monumentale just below.  Also clearly shown is the clock and bell tower of the Amalfi cathedral in the centre of the photo.

Whether or not Amalfi is a Cunard port, I cannot say.

Congratulations @sfred. Amalfi is correct🌟. Wonder if our ace researchers John and Colin can confirm this as a Cunard port of call - obvious Sea Goddess fare I would have thought.

Looks as though I'd better give a clue to one of the ones of mine not yet identified.

The port is a very popular holiday resort and used to be a regular stop for P&O world cruises (We visited on the Aurora in 2003. I've visited since when my favourite drinking hole was...

1556872530_WhereintheWorld114.jpg.9341c1493cd4a79a4c7b8a286cedbb52.jpg

Hope that helps.

3 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

Looks as though I'd better give a clue to one of the ones of mine not yet identified.

The port is a very popular holiday resort and used to be a regular stop for P&O world cruises (We visited on the Aurora in 2003. I've visited since when my favourite drinking hole was...

1556872530_WhereintheWorld114.jpg.9341c1493cd4a79a4c7b8a286cedbb52.jpg

Hope that helps.

Oh yes, that helps quite a bit. Not surprisingly it looks like this area may have been built up quite a bit more since your visit about 18 years ago. That may account for some of the difficulty identifying it although I must say I hadn't spent much time investigating this particular port.

I think this is Nha Trang, Vietnam.

On 6/7/2021 at 9:01 AM, Solent Richard said:

334243657_WhereintheWorld113.thumb.jpg.d409d6f160ed87099251563b144bf146.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Palmeat said:

Congratulations @sfred. Amalfi is correct🌟. Wonder if our ace researchers John and Colin can confirm this as a Cunard port of call - obvious Sea Goddess fare I would have thought.

I would have thought so as well. Unfortunately, try as I might, I can't find any reference to a Cunard ship calling at Amalfi. Plenty of references to Amalfi as an excursion destination from Naples and Sorrento, but not to Amalfi as a port of call for Cunard that I've been able to find. That does seem strange.

On the plus side, I did find another Cunard port we haven't seen yet. While searching specifically for Sea Goddess calls to Amalfi, I found Opatija, Croatia has been a Sea Goddess port of call.

46 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

On the plus side, I did find another Cunard port we haven't seen yet. While searching specifically for Sea Goddess calls to Amalfi, I found Opatija, Croatia has been a Sea Goddess port of call.

Oh, I now see that same source for the Sea Goddess call to Opatija also lists a Vistafjord call to "Skopeios". I assume that means Skopelos, Greece. That call occurred between Istanbul and Santorini. That's another port to add to our unseen port list.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As we seem to be temporarily out of unidentified port photos, and inspired by @Colin_Cameron's recent post, here is another historical photo of a Cunard port.  Several of the more prominent heritage buildings are still with us today.   The photo, in the public domain, is undated but I'll guess it must be early 1900s based on showing both a steam and sail ship.

image.png.c9a96e9f5cb9b0b8dc4e9a052e1e821f.png

19 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Oh yes, that helps quite a bit. Not surprisingly it looks like this area may have been built up quite a bit more since your visit about 18 years ago. That may account for some of the difficulty identifying it although I must say I hadn't spent much time investigating this particular port.

I think this is Nha Trang, Vietnam.

Congratulations @bluemarble , certainly is Nha Trang, Vietnam. Well done Sir. 

While I'm thinking of a clue to help with my still unrecognised photo (#3268 ) here's another original from my library that has yet to be identified...

937361451_WhereintheWorld116.thumb.jpg.fc1d411e252fe705f0801e9989594a1a.jpg

Photograph was taken while on an excursion coach returning to a Cunard Ship. The port is there in the distance.

Edited by Solent Richard

4 hours ago, sfred said:

As we seem to be temporarily out of unidentified port photos, and inspired by @Colin_Cameron's recent post, here is another historical photo of a Cunard port.  Several of the more prominent heritage buildings are still with us today.   The photo, in the public domain, is undated but I'll guess it must be early 1900s based on showing both a steam and sail ship.

image.png.c9a96e9f5cb9b0b8dc4e9a052e1e821f.png

👍 If I didn’t recognise that central building there would be something wrong. I’ve spent enough time in it over the years.

• Like 1