HAL excursion sale?

cat shepard

On 8/26/2020 at 5:52 PM, KirkNC said:

Another way to raise cash.  The cruise lines aren’t getting any more money from me until there is clarity on the when they sail and what the experience would be like.  I wonder if these excursions go through the normal refund process if canceled (automatically refunded very quickly) or due to the nature of the deal they have to be refunded manually.

I am not sure I like them selling these right now on cruises that may never happen. But they do allow passengers to spread out the cost of a cruise, and with the discount they might be able to book an excursion they normally wouldn't splurge on. Example.  I took a pricey helicopter ride up to Mendenhall Glacier. Don't regret it at all! Will be an experience I always remember. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, JeffElizabeth said:

I am not sure I like them selling these right now on cruises that may never happen. But they do allow passengers to spread out the cost of a cruise, and with the discount they might be able to book an excursion they normally wouldn't splurge on. Example.  I took a pricey helicopter ride up to Mendenhall Glacier. Don't regret it at all! Will be an experience I always remember. 

Preselling excursions is always a way to raise cash.  They are allowing cancellation of the excursions and some who have canceled excursions say those refunds have been very quick.  My cruise isn't until mid summer so I am pretty confident.  I don't think I would bother buying excursions for a December cruise.

On 9/3/2020 at 3:36 PM, Mary229 said:

Preselling excursions is always a way to raise cash.  They are allowing cancellation of the excursions and some who have canceled excursions say those refunds have been very quick.  My cruise isn't until mid summer so I am pretty confident.  I don't think I would bother buying excursions for a December cruise.

IMO. The difference in the current environment is there is no revenue coming in for CCL and its sister companies. They won't raise enough cash to continue operations this way and they only can take on so much debt with the remaining ships if cruising does not start sooner than later. So saving 20% now may sound good, but as a previous post mentioned, there is a risk of not getting anything back if HAL ends up in BK and your refund is cents on the dollar (if anything). I think its too soon to know what will be happening  next year so I like being 100% sure I will keep 100% of my current money. The 20% "savings" is worth giving up to know my money stays with me. I also finally received funds from HAL after waiting months and that was without cruise lines being in trouble.  Not yet thinking about excursions. We just want to cruise. 😮 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, REOVA said:

IMO. The difference in the current environment is there is no revenue coming in for CCL and its sister companies. They won't raise enough cash to continue operations this way and they only can take on so much debt with the remaining ships if cruising does not start sooner than later. So saving 20% now may sound good, but as a previous post mentioned, there is a risk of not getting anything back if HAL ends up in BK and your refund is cents on the dollar (if anything). I think its too soon to know what will be happening  next year so I like being 100% sure I will keep 100% of my current money. The 20% "savings" is worth giving up to know my money stays with me. I also finally received funds from HAL after waiting months and that was without cruise lines being in trouble.  Not yet thinking about excursions. We just want to cruise. 😮 

That would be your financial analysis, not mine.   I think in 5 years CCL will have captured more market share, albeit, the market may be much smaller.  Everyone has different risk tolerances.  I am usually fairly bold with money.

• Like 1

Double check the prices prior to check out, especially when booking for children.  I was booking the dog sled summer camp in Juneau for our July 2021 cruise aboard the Eurodam.  When there is an adult price and a child's price, it shows the discounts in the summary but when we went to check out it only discounted the adult prices.  First call to HAL and was told it was for only the first 2 people in the cabin (don't think he actually checked anything, just guessed and thought I would take his first answer).  When I told the agent that was not true as I had just booked the zip rider for more than 2 people in a cabin and also, the fine print does not limit it to only 2 persons.  He checked and said I was correct and that he needed to put a ticket in to fix the price coming out incorrectly.  I waited several days, still not fixed.  Called again yesterday, as the sale will end next week, and the agent was able to have a supervisor override the child's prices to show the discount.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, TwinMommyByGrace said:

Double check the prices prior to check out, especially when booking for children.  I was booking the dog sled summer camp in Juneau for our July 2021 cruise aboard the Eurodam.  When there is an adult price and a child's price, it shows the discounts in the summary but when we went to check out it only discounted the adult prices.  First call to HAL and was told it was for only the first 2 people in the cabin (don't think he actually checked anything, just guessed and thought I would take his first answer).  When I told the agent that was not true as I had just booked the zip rider for more than 2 people in a cabin and also, the fine print does not limit it to only 2 persons.  He checked and said I was correct and that he needed to put a ticket in to fix the price coming out incorrectly.  I waited several days, still not fixed.  Called again yesterday, as the sale will end next week, and the agent was able to have a supervisor override the child's prices to show the discount.  

I remember originally it was based on two per cabin only.  They must have changed it recently as I just checked.  I always read terms and conditions😉

On 9/3/2020 at 12:57 PM, Mary229 said:

Call.  I had a few glitches and called. They can see your excursions as well as your shopping cart

Thanks for the tip; I called yesterday and they were indeed able to see it. As best I can tell, the issue was that I was trying to view someone else's reservation while signed into my own account. We set up an account for my mother in law and the shore excursions showed up correctly when logged into it.