HAL excursion sale?

cat shepard

28 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Don’t know if you asked the question this way but normally canceled excursions are refunded automatically and very quickly, I am curious if that is the case here or do they end up in some refund line that takes months to get.  This is from someone who has waited six months for reimbursement for expenses incurred to get home from Perth.

Excursion refunds have been being processed as normal as it is a separate system from reservations.  I had an excursion booked through HAL for my March 2021 cruise that I recently decided to cancel.  Refund was back on my card in 3 days.

2 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Looks like Mexico would not be included but Amsterdam should be.....

From the HAL website:

For a limited time, take 20% off all Shore Excursions on your 2021 cruise to Alaska or Europe. Offer ends September 9, 2020.

I didn't think Mexico would be included, I wonder if it is  TAs to Europe that get it - when I looked at the excursions for mine in Europe, the prices were unchanged.

@KirkNC  I recall a few excursion sales but only 10%.  Our household is a divided camp on this one so I will split the difference and only book those that are musts and likely to sell out.  Thankfully Europe is easy to book high quality private tours 

2 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

I didn't think Mexico would be included, I wonder if it is  TAs to Europe that get it - when I looked at the excursions for mine in Europe, the prices were unchanged.

That's strange.  Both my Sept. '21 Med cruise and my Oct. '21 TA have a sale on the excursions. 

4 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

It says that the discount would be applied at checkout. Did you try to book something and follow it through to payment?

i just tried a fake booking but didn't go all the way to checkout so couldn't tell.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Alberta Quilter said:

It says that the discount would be applied at checkout. Did you try to book something and follow it through to payment?

i just tried a fake booking but didn't go all the way to checkout so couldn't tell.

The discount shows on my booking before I even click on the specific excursion.

• Like 3

I tried too and it didn’t show.   

Just took a second look and the discount shows on the Greek portion of our trip but not in Cyprus or Israel.   How convoluted,  it says all European cruises! 

Edited by bennybear

Below are the T&C of the offer (I highlighted something I found of note).  In other words - they may choose to discount only "select" tours AND limit the # of tickets sold at the discounted price on any one tour.  Sneaky .......

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/deals/shore-excursion-sale.html?ICID=HECIZ0826201040 

Offer is applied per shore excursion reservation and is available for existing and new bookings. This offer applies to all 2021 Alaska cruises, cruise portions of Land+Sea Journeys (not land destinations) and all 2021 Europe cruises. Offer is combinable with all other current, public promotions including Save Now Cruise Later-Have It all Sale and the Gift Card Promotion.  This offer is combinable with campaign fares.  Offer is not transferable. 

Shore excursions purchased on this promotion must be made in advance of embarkation, during the promotional period: August 26, 2020 – September 9, 2020; and the purchase must be made in USD only.  This promotion will not be applied to onboard purchases of shore excursions. Due to COVID-19 health and safety protocols, tours are subject to operational changes and select tours have limited promotional tickets availablePromotional pricing is only available during this promo period and will not be honored for waitlisted tickets.  If a shore excursion is canceled once on board, the refund will be the amount paid. Offers are capacity controlled and may be modified or withdrawn without prior notice.  For more information about shore excursions, please refer to hollandamerica.com.  Ships' Registry: The Netherlands.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Alberta Quilter said:

Thanks, AtlantaCruiser!  Sneaky, it is.  They did that on the View & Verandah sales, too.  On one of my cruises, only a couple of crappy (IMO) shorex in the disembarkation port were discounted.

Royal and Celebrity do this all the time  - you get an email adverting - Book now and save "UP TO" 20% off "SELECT" excursions (italics caps and quotes mine for effect).  Then you log in and it's $2.00 off a $129 excursion, nothing on others, etc.  There may actually be ONE tour on your entire trip that actually gets the 20% and it's the crappiest drive by on a bus tour in the lot!  LOL

As long as there is ONE excursion in ONE port that meets the promo criteria then they offering said promo.  Much to the chagrin of many a cruiser (including me).

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

6 minutes ago, bennybear said:

I have problem with them advertising all European cruises and then only honouring some ports. 

Welcome to Marketing 101 -  Broad offer limited applicability is the norm for retailers.  The ads say "BIG SALE ENTIRE STOCK MUST GO!" then less then a 1/8 of items are actually on sale.  Since retailer is providing a "selection" of items (at their discretion of course) "on sale" they are fulfilling the terms of the offer.  The devil is ALWAYS in the fine print and that's where they hide their get out of jail free card each and every time!

If they advertised "SOME ports have LIMITED excursions at a discount of 20% or less" (which is more often the reality with these deals) there would be far less click through and revenue generation as a result.  Even when prompted by a sale ad many consumers will still by other items NOT on sale.

It's like some of the big online cruise sites that advert book now for "up to" a $1000 onboard credit.  Consumers call and expect they are getting the full $1000 offer (usually expecting it to be per person) on their $198pp 3 day Bahamas inside cabin and are miffed when it's only $25 total for the cabin.  Seller has "up to" in the advert so they are covered and t&c say all offers are per booking, based on net price of cruise before taxes, blah blah blah ......

Marketing is all about getting consumers in the door with the carrot on the stick and then making it as hard to get the full carrot as they can!

• Like 1

First Person Experience Report

I have just completed booking 3 excursions for our August 2021 Glacier Discovery Southbound cruise. Here is what I found for this cruise.

• Every excursion was offered at the discounted price.
  • The discounted price was displayed prominently on the excursion selection page (it was not hidden until you checked out, in other words).

I must admit that I was kind of put off by the experiences of others reported above, but for me, booking the selected excursions went as I had originally expected.

[We are booked in a Neptune Suite, if that makes any difference.]

Edited by What was that?
Added our accommodation category.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, What was that? said:

First Person Experience Report

I have just completed booking 3 excursions for our August 2021 Glacier Discovery Southbound cruise. Here is what I found for this cruise.

• Every excursion was offered at the discounted price.
  • The discounted price was displayed prominently on the excursion selection page (it was not hidden until you checked out, in other words).

I must admit that I was kind of put off by the experiences of others reported above, but for me, booking the selected excursions went as I had originally expected.

[We are booked in a Neptune Suite, if that makes any difference.]

+1 our experience also in booking 2 tours for our October 2021 Rotterdam TA....[and we are not in a Neptune.]  Easy peezy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Welcome to Marketing 101 -  Broad offer limited applicability is the norm for retailers.  The ads say "BIG SALE ENTIRE STOCK MUST GO!" then less then a 1/8 of items are actually on sale.  Since retailer is providing a "selection" of items (at their discretion of course) "on sale" they are fulfilling the terms of the offer.  The devil is ALWAYS in the fine print and that's where they hide their get out of jail free card each and every time!

If they advertised "SOME ports have LIMITED excursions at a discount of 20% or less" (which is more often the reality with these deals) there would be far less click through and revenue generation as a result.  Even when prompted by a sale ad many consumers will still by other items NOT on sale.

It's like some of the big online cruise sites that advert book now for "up to" a $1000 onboard credit.  Consumers call and expect they are getting the full $1000 offer (usually expecting it to be per person) on their $198pp 3 day Bahamas inside cabin and are miffed when it's only $25 total for the cabin.  Seller has "up to" in the advert so they are covered and t&c say all offers are per booking, based on net price of cruise before taxes, blah blah blah ......

Marketing is all about getting consumers in the door with the carrot on the stick and then making it as hard to get the full carrot as they can!

I do understand fine print and marketing, but in this case HAL doesn’t state some, they state all with nothing in the wording to negate the 20% unless it Is waitlisted.  

so again, the inconsistency is the only constant.  But I can’t even be bothered to call and point this out as I doubt this cruise will happen.  Just wish they would get their act together.  And then I might be willing to spend some money! 

On 8/28/2020 at 11:14 AM, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Excursion refunds have been being processed as normal as it is a separate system from reservations.  I had an excursion booked through HAL for my March 2021 cruise that I recently decided to cancel.  Refund was back on my card in 3 days.

I agree...I cancelled a HAL Hawaii Sept. 2020 cruise back in April or so, and the Shorex refunds came back very quickly (and this was during all the original chaos). I was worried about the cruise deposit, but that came back in another week or so, also. 

59 minutes ago, Alberta Quilter said:

Victoriann, the sale prices are now showing for our cruise.  All excursions are discounted now.  Some one on our roll call had called HAL and was told there was a glitch.  Bennybear, maybe you should check your cruise again.

Thanks, I will have a look at what is now available - I am concerned about this cruise, because the dates could very well change, and the itinerary, so perhaps the ship's tours are the way to go in this case.   I'm also concerned about the heat in August, so I will be looking for less strenuous excursions!

• Like 1

Same here, all shore excursions for my Glacier Discovery Northbound are 20% off.

Maybe I shouldn't have bothered, but I canceled all my booked excursions to take advantage of the sale, and there seems to be a glitch - I booked two cabins together (one for myself and my wife and one for her mother) but they were assigned different booking numbers. I booked all the shore excursions together. When I went to cancel, on my name and my wife's were listed, so I canceled those two, and then when I checked the second booking, her shore excursions have disappeared. Does this mean all 3 were canceled but only two were refunded? I don't want to rebook until I get the refunds and know for sure.

23 minutes ago, strickerj said:

Same here, all shore excursions for my Glacier Discovery Northbound are 20% off.

Maybe I shouldn't have bothered, but I canceled all my booked excursions to take advantage of the sale, and there seems to be a glitch - I booked two cabins together (one for myself and my wife and one for her mother) but they were assigned different booking numbers. I booked all the shore excursions together. When I went to cancel, on my name and my wife's were listed, so I canceled those two, and then when I checked the second booking, her shore excursions have disappeared. Does this mean all 3 were canceled but only two were refunded? I don't want to rebook until I get the refunds and know for sure.

Call.  I had a few glitches and called. They can see your excursions as well as your shopping cart

• Like 1