Upgrade Question

Sudoku

We are currently scheduled on a Full Transit Panama Canal sailing from San Diego to Ft. Lauderdale on March 10, 2021.  Fingers crossed.  We just received an upgrade from a specific obstructed view room on Emerald Deck to an unobstructed view room on Plaza Deck.  I’m thinking of moving back to Emerald deck to an unobstructed room back by the mini suites.  Any thought?

5 hours ago, Sudoku said:

We are currently scheduled on a Full Transit Panama Canal sailing from San Diego to Ft. Lauderdale on March 10, 2021.  Fingers crossed.  We just received an upgrade from a specific obstructed view room on Emerald Deck to an unobstructed view room on Plaza Deck.  I’m thinking of moving back to Emerald deck to an unobstructed room back by the mini suites.  Any thought?

You can ask to be switched to any available cabin in the category you were upgraded to. So if you are now in category OF, you can ask to be switched to any available OF cabin, but not to a higher category of oceanview.

By the way, have you been assigned a specific Plaza deck? Some of them (towards the bow) are very small. Some others have two bunk beds sticking out from the wall.

We sailed in a Plaza deck unobstructed ocean view on Emerald. Worst cabin we have ever had. Weird and small. Extra narrow. Extremely loud with banging and thumping in port and also super loud noise at sea that I guess came from the stabilizers.  We were in P328 which was a wonderfully convenient location but I will never book in that area again. The weird, narrow cabin was not at all good.

image.png.6de73d933946b2bc17dec5cd2b45e8b4.png

• Like 2

I love the oceanview cabins on the Emerald deck.  We always try to pick one with very little obstruction, of which there are some really great options.  I've read too many reports of the waves hitting the side of the ship and the stabilizers that create undue noise on the Plaza deck.  But, we are very sensitive to noise.  

You can always have Princess or your TA mark your reservation as 'meta upgrade only', meaning the only upgrade they can give you is a balcony or better, not just another oceanview cabin that you may not like.  

The only issue that we've experienced is if we choose a cabin right next to one of the tenders they use while on that cruise.  It will only happen when you are in port and only twice per day ... once when dropping the tender and once when they are pulling it back up.  The only time it has even been somewhat bothersome is when they have an early morning port visit ... and even then, when it's done, it's done!!  I would pick the obstructed OV cabins on the Emerald deck over the unobstructed cabins on the Plaza deck any day.  I actually find the Emerald deck to be a very convenient location ... not too far down to hit the indoor public areas and not too far up to hit the open decks.  

If we are going "cheap" or places where the view or balcony is not important to us, we always select obstructed OV cabins on the Emerald deck for the Grand Class of ships.  If we decide to upgrade to a balcony cabin, we always pick the Caribe deck.  The balcony is double the width, at only slightly higher cost.  

We never had luck in "upgrades" that Princess has offered.  We always check "no upgrades" at booking time. 

On 9/2/2020 at 6:13 PM, Sudoku said:

I didn't know Princess cruised out of San Diego?  Is this part of their "new" itineraries?

When getting an inside cabin Plaza deck is an amazing location. We love it! However our experience with OV on plaza matches Thrack’s experience, worst ever location, loud banging at night and I could sleep. Crazy thing is it was a cruise to Hawaii, first one and and it’s my favorite itinerary that we have done many times over since our “loud” cabin on plaza.
Our friends cruised across from our cabin in an inside room and they had zero issues with sound on the same cruise. We never had issues before before! So I do stand by my Plaza Inside is awesome but OV can be LOUD with banging

Sent from my iPhone using Forums