Extended balconies on the Riviera

zumbagold

I like the extended balconies... for French Polynesia, or the like.  Not so much for crossing the pond or rounding the horn.  Can be a 'little' motion/wave/wind action (depending on location but particularly 7108 & 7111). Lots of room.  Chairs and recliners. Same overhang as other verandas but with more past that. Hope this works, they look like this... https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=zjXiDeJD&id=7A7C320E4134A36CFF59FDB749B38CB0F8D0C55F&thid=OIP.zjXiDeJD87Z7aVkkvMqUXgHaE5&mediaurl=https%3a%2f%2fi.pinimg.com%2foriginals%2fd8%2f37%2f33%2fd8373374f0aa4ac97da7c347de813b29.jpg&exph=3264&expw=4928&q=oceania+Riviera+extended+balcony&simid=608023131450836149&ck=141D060D588A584AEF9812E0617017EC&selectedIndex=2&FORM=IRPRST&ajaxhist=0

Edited by EasyGoingGuy
add info

11 hours ago, zumbagold said:

The TA just recommended a room with an extended balcony. Do you like them or should I keep a regular balcony? Are they covered enough from the elements? Are there lounge chairs on them or on all balconies? Thank you!

Riviera & Marina   will have the loungers on the extended balconies 

8 hours ago, Benita said:

My first choice- it is category B3. They have some that are forward and the majority are aft. We pick the aft ones. 

Amen to that!

The cabin above can see down to your balcony. 

I don't have pics but, look at a deck plan and you'll see four cabins (two forward and two aft) that transition into the regular balconies. They have railing on two sides and only one divider. 

Those four cabins (numbers escape me) are booked immediately when a future cruise itinerary is first announced.

IMG_5557.JPG

IMG_9874.JPG

7 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Amen to that!

The cabin above can see down to your balcony. 

I don't have pics but, look at a deck plan and you'll see four cabins (two forward and two aft) that transition into the regular balconies. They have railing on two sides and only one divider. 

Those four cabins (numbers escape me) are booked immediately when a future cruise itinerary is first announced.

IMG_5557.JPG

IMG_9874.JPG

I was hoping to keep those a secret. We always try for 7108 or 7111, which are the ones with railings on two sides. No privacy, but really nice to get views from 2 sides.

1 hour ago, Benita said:

I was hoping to keep those a secret. We always try for 7108 or 7111, which are the ones with railings on two sides. No privacy, but really nice to get views from 2 sides.

I doubt most folks' TAs or they themselves are willing to time it down to the second to grab those beauties. So, we still may be in luck.

Here's 7108:

IMG_5126.JPG

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

I was in cabin 7001 on the Marina for a cruise from Papeete to Lima.  It was nice sailing around French Polynesia.  However, once we picked up speed to head to Easter Island, my balcony was not dried until I dock in Lima.  The extended balconies in the aft were dried as we had friends who had an extended balcony in the aft section, but avoid the extended balconies in front of the ship if you know the ship is going faster than 15 knots or going through rough waters.  The mist created by the bow of the ship as it cuts through the water wants to land in those extended balconies in the front of the ship.

Thank you for your very helpful replies! It is our first Oceana cruise and I appreciate the room advice. We also like mid to aft cabins. There are pros and cons for me with the extended balconies, but those lounge chairs are calling my name! : )

55 minutes ago, zumbagold said:

Thank you for your very helpful replies! It is our first Oceana cruise and I appreciate the room advice. We also like mid to aft cabins. There are pros and cons for me with the extended balconies, but those lounge chairs are calling my name! : )

IMO, the only regular con is that folks can look down at your outdoor space - but really only the extended portion beyond the normal balcony depth. 

That said, there are some folks who don't care for the perceived "tunnel" feeling of the extra divider sections. And there's always the chance that some unthinking person above you will leave room service dishes on their balcony only to have them blown down onto your balcony (and you) by a stiff wind. Yes- it can and does happen (rarely). 

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

On a fairly recent 14 day cruise on Marina I had the opportunity to book 7108 but chose to back down the hall to 7116 due to there is a crew door area directly across the hall from 7108. I've had noisy experiences in that situation in the past and didn't want to risk it. Truly though, any of them are good. 

On 9/18/2020 at 8:26 AM, ORV said:

On a fairly recent 14 day cruise on Marina I had the opportunity to book 7108 but chose to back down the hall to 7116 due to there is a crew door area directly across the hall from 7108. I've had noisy experiences in that situation in the past and didn't want to risk it. Truly though, any of them are good. 

Spent 36 days in 7108....Tahiti to NY.... all sorts of weather... never had a splash problem  and the view looking down the side of the ship was fantastic..     In fact going through the panama canal,  We were equal with the top of the lock wall ... you could  actually step across if you wanted  Loved it......except for the long walk to get to it.

• 3 weeks later...

Depends.  On a port intensive cruise or in cooler weather, the balcony is seldom used.  We were in 7115.  Huge veranda.  Cruise was in Med in Oct/Nov.   We seldom used it.  We were opposite service elevators.  There was noise. It was convenient to aft lifts.  A standard veranda is ok.  While I haven’t been in Oceanview on Marina or Riviera, I might book it.  Those cabins are midship.