Lido Cabanas on Nieuw Amsterdam

Lorabelle

Forgive me if this has been covered.  I did a search and read a lot of lido cabana threads, but nothing answered my question.

We just booked one for our Alaskan cruise next year.  I did read that some felt it was best not to be too close to the end where the Dive In is located.  I booked the St. Tropez, which is the last cabana on the other end.  Is there a reason that being on the end there will be less desirable than being in one of the center cabanas?  My thought was that with only having "neighbors" on one side, it might be quieter, but I guess that's really dependent upon what is on the other side of that curtain where the open space is.  I have never sailed this ship, so I have no clue if this is a walkway, a service area, or has tables for cruisers.  

Can anyone fill me in on that? There are still others available and I was told I can call and switch if I decide I'd like a different location.

Your cabana is at the end nearest the ladies washroom, so you can expect some traffic coming and going from there.  That end gets quite warm due to less air flow.  The cabana at the opposite end - Ibiza I think has much better airflow, and it's not that close to the Dive In.  There are several tables in the area between the cabana and the Dive In.  There is a server's station between the cabana and tables as well. 

33 minutes ago, Skorpora said:

Your cabana is at the end nearest the ladies washroom, so you can expect some traffic coming and going from there.  That end gets quite warm due to less air flow.  The cabana at the opposite end - Ibiza I think has much better airflow, and it's not that close to the Dive In.  There are several tables in the area between the cabana and the Dive In.  There is a server's station between the cabana and tables as well. 

On Eurodam [sister ship to NA] I had the first one next to the Dive In area. There was a table there where the same group seemed to sit everyday. They were loud, but that was the luck of the draw. I actually thought I asked for the other end, and did not get it. It remained empty most of the week.

If I did again - I would probably opt for the upper deck one, I liked the separate loungers rather than that circular daybed/couch thing.

• 3 months later...

I’m late replying to this post but thought I’d share my experience.  We cruised Alaska on the Eurodam which has a very similar Lido Cabana setup.  We chose the same location as you did, the cabana furthest from the Dive Bar, closest to the spa (most forward starboard side). We were very happy with this choice.  Yes, it has less air flow and in Alaska we felt this was a good thing as the air can be chilly!  It *is* next to the restrooms, but I noticed that very few people utilized these rest rooms as they are tucked away and maybe people weren’t aware of them being there.  I found this to be a great convenience more than a draw back. The only “less than ideal” thing was that between our cabana and the restrooms was a curtained off area used for storage of various items that staff would come and go to retrieve or store.  Mops maybe?  Additional seating or lounges?  I don’t remember exactly, and it was not a terrible thing just occasionally noticeable more so for the staff’s chatting than for any noise from their activity.  The area outside this cabana (toward pool) is a more “open” area that is used for either lounge chairs, dining tables and chairs, and on some days tables set up with items for sale.  I liked that as I’m a people watcher and this provided people to “watch”.  The more inside cabanas look toward a very narrow walkway then a wooden railing separating the walkway from the poolside lounge chairs.  This felt “tight” to me, as far as what the cabana looked out toward poolside and I wouldn’t have enjoyed it.  Of course most of our time was spent looking out to the view. We are going back to Alaska June 2022 on the Nieuw Amsterdam and have reserved the same cabana, St. Tropez.  I think it’s the best $200 one can spend on a cruise, especially an Alaska cruise.  Hope this helped.  If you have specific questions I w ill be glad to answer.

Edited by SailorMarg

Screen shots from a Nieuw Amsterdam video online.  So kind of blurry.  The curtains between cabanas are normally drawn, this must have been for a larger group that booked them all.  But the photos give you an idea of what is “poolside” from the cabanas.  Both photos are from inside St. Tropez and you can see the larger open area outside St. Tropez, and you can see the narrow walkway, then wooden railing, then lounge chairs poolside from the other cabanas.

9EEEC01A-77C3-42A6-AC64-625B7FEE0C19.jpeg

DD2B3EE0-0486-4AB7-B7C8-011B7D434F15.jpeg

If I had my druthers, I'd reserve one in the retreat! Quiet area that comes with two lounges, a table and two chairs. The nice part of this upper location is that there are also lounges in the sun.  Personally we prefer the upper level with one of the forward facing cabanas.

• Thanks 1

We booked a LIDO Cabana in the middle "Cannes" ...This will be a first for us.  Has been about 12 years since we were on a cruise, I do not think many ships had them then.  They do look like something special.... Curious is that a full glass (or plexiglass) wall in back?  Does it open?  Read above can be a little stuffy ... lack of air-flow .... Also had another question.  Our cruise has pre-paid gratuities (not sure if that would cover this... what is a proper tip for the cabana?  thank you

2 hours ago, nashkan said:

We booked a LIDO Cabana in the middle "Cannes" ...This will be a first for us.  Has been about 12 years since we were on a cruise, I do not think many ships had them then.  They do look like something special.... Curious is that a full glass (or plexiglass) wall in back?  Does it open?  Read above can be a little stuffy ... lack of air-flow .... Also had another question.  Our cruise has pre-paid gratuities (not sure if that would cover this... what is a proper tip for the cabana?  thank you

The window behind the cabanas is the standard Lido pool area window....all glass except some window frames. I don't believe they open.

Air flow in the Lido pool area can be a problem, cabanas or not. The cabanas don't help with air flow. The Retreat area upstairs can also have air flow problems on the other ships with cabanas...they have improved the set up in the newer ships.

Tips for the cabanas are not covered in your tipping plan. How much you tip will depend on a number of things...length of cruise, services you receive and request, etc. Also, tipping is totally personal. I will say we are always impressed with the service we get in the Retreat cabanas, and tend to give generously.

We have rented Lido cabanas in the Eurodam and Niew Amsterdam,

Each has been in the middle of the row.  We have never had rowdy neighbors.  Although  I would prefer the individual lounge chairs,  the round lounger, was comfortable.  We always tip our attendants, they are very attentive, and very nice.  We have not tried the Retreats yet

CruiserBruce & Yadalicious.... Thank You for answering my questions....I did think of one more... Is there an electrical outlet?  wanted to plug in my laptop......  I think this will be great...we are doing this cruise to relax,  we are probably only to leave the ship in one port, Puerto Plata.     

12 minutes ago, nashkan said:

CruiserBruce & Yadalicious.... Thank You for answering my questions....I did think of one more... Is there an electrical outlet?  wanted to plug in my laptop......  I think this will be great...we are doing this cruise to relax,  we are probably only to leave the ship in one port, Puerto Plata.     

I don't think there is on the older Cabana ships (Eurodam and N. Amsterdam were the first), unless they added them recently. The newer ships with cabanas have plugs.