Jump to content

Recommended Posts

45 minutes ago, stevenmary said:

Interesting read from the BBC news website:

 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54478119

 

 

Reading this the question would be if Connie will use one of the outlying terminals in the Venice area.  Marittima certainly seems to be out.  The BBC article explains it well.  We were on Connie in 2018.  Wonderful journey.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Reading this the question would be if Connie will use one of the outlying terminals in the Venice area.  Marittima certainly seems to be out.  The BBC article explains it well.  We were on Connie in 2018.  Wonderful journey.

I am not sure there are any other terminals in the Venice area suitable for handling cruise ships so for the moment I think they will have to continue using Marittima. It looks like there is a ferry terminal in Marghera, but it seems to be more for commercial traffic and probably not well suited to the needs of cruise ships.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, stevenmary said:

I am not sure there are any other terminals in the Venice area suitable for handling cruise ships so for the moment I think they will have to continue using Marittima. It looks like there is a ferry terminal in Marghera, but it seems to be more for commercial traffic and probably not well suited to the needs of cruise ships.

There is also the San Basilio, which handles the Viking Ocean ships just fine, but it's still all a part of the Venice Cruise Terminal complex. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, stevenmary said:

I am not sure there are any other terminals in the Venice area suitable for handling cruise ships so for the moment I think they will have to continue using Marittima. It looks like there is a ferry terminal in Marghera, but it seems to be more for commercial traffic and probably not well suited to the needs of cruise ships.

The Fusina and Lombardia terminals are not ideal but both are large enough for ships like Constellation.

Continuing with the Marittima terminal is not an option under the current law.  I certainly do agree that laws and governments in Italy change often.  The BBC article along with the hot links explained it very clearly.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a cruise booked next year the infinity, it's staying in venice 2 nights so we're using it as home base while we tour the city. That's actually the main reason I booked this particular cruise. I wonder if I can cancel without penalty if they move the port to Ravena. I have no interest in taking a bus to venice each day.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, LzyCruiser_NWA said:

We have a cruise booked next year the infinity, it's staying in venice 2 nights so we're using it as home base while we tour the city. That's actually the main reason I booked this particular cruise. I wonder if I can cancel without penalty if they move the port to Ravena. I have no interest in taking a bus to venice each day.

You could easily tour Venice on your own pre or post cruise and the take the shuttle to Ravenna.  Lots of things to see there.  Also consider that unless things change you would not be able to leave the ship during the cruise on your own 

The BBC suggested in their article that several of the ferry terminals could be used.  

Certainly possible to cancel a 2021 cruise today.  Until cruising resumes hard to know what will happen.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LzyCruiser_NWA said:

We have a cruise booked next year the infinity, it's staying in venice 2 nights so we're using it as home base while we tour the city. That's actually the main reason I booked this particular cruise. I wonder if I can cancel without penalty if they move the port to Ravena. I have no interest in taking a bus to venice each day.

So I guess you booked the 7 night Italy, Croatia and Montenegro on Infinity? If so, there is only 1 night scheduled in port at Venice at the start of the cruise. Then, assuming you cannot board until midday earliest on the first day, that pretty much wipes out the day for touring, if they even allow you off ship on your own. Arizona Wildcat is correct, you would be better off staying locally in Venice for 1 or 2 nights pre or post cruise to tour independently, but we still don't know what the situation will be like next year. I don't believe Celebrity will change from Venice to Ravenna as the departure port. Only Royal Caribbean Cruises are doing this (so far) and I am pretty sure that despite local protests against cruise ships in Venice, the city must be desperate to recover some of the tourist income they have lost.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, stevenmary said:

So I guess you booked the 7 night Italy, Croatia and Montenegro on Infinity? If so, there is only 1 night scheduled in port at Venice at the start of the cruise. Then, assuming you cannot board until midday earliest on the first day, that pretty much wipes out the day for touring, if they even allow you off ship on your own. Arizona Wildcat is correct, you would be better off staying locally in Venice for 1 or 2 nights pre or post cruise to tour independently, but we still don't know what the situation will be like next year. I don't believe Celebrity will change from Venice to Ravenna as the departure port. Only Royal Caribbean Cruises are doing this (so far) and I am pretty sure that despite local protests against cruise ships in Venice, the city must be desperate to recover some of the tourist income they have lost.

Correct, I meant 2 days 1 nights, that's plenty of time to tour venice as we have been there before. This whole situation of being forced to go with only cruise ship tours is another variable that I wasn't expecting.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, LzyCruiser_NWA said:

We have a cruise booked next year the infinity, it's staying in venice 2 nights so we're using it as home base while we tour the city. That's actually the main reason I booked this particular cruise. I wonder if I can cancel without penalty if they move the port to Ravena. I have no interest in taking a bus to venice each day.

We are booked on a 12 night cruise on the Infinity next May from Venice. We are flying in the day before so we have one night pre cruise and then 2 nights post cruise in Venice. If the port is moved we could still take the transfer to Ravenna and then back to Venice after the cruise. Since RCL announced that the Royal ships will move to Ravenna ,earlier this year, we are hopping that X plans to stay in Venice. My TA has asked X about a possible move and so far X is saying they will be in Venice, but like anything, that could change. On another note, I am not very encouraged that this cruise will happen in light of how the Covid is surging in Italy now. We also have a second Infinity cruise from Barcelona next August, another Covid hot spot. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Thanks for posting.  One of my best cruising memories was the sail out of Venice on Connie a couple of years ago.  

We had that pleasure in 2017. Fantastic views over Venice, entirely appropriate operatic music soundtrack on the pooldeck, then sailed into a massive thunderstorm. Could not have been a better combined natural & man-made sound and light show 😁

DSC01339.JPG

DSC01343.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, stevenmary said:

We had that pleasure in 2017. Fantastic views over Venice, entirely appropriate operatic music soundtrack on the pooldeck, then sailed into a massive thunderstorm. Could not have been a better combined natural & man-made sound and light show 😁

 

 

 

When did you go?  We were on the June 5, 2017 Connie 10 night Adriatic cruise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

 

When did you go?  We were on the June 5, 2017 Connie 10 night Adriatic cruise.

We went a bit later in the year, departure 7th September 2017 11 night Adriatic & Med cruise also Connie. Finished at Barcelona.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Thanks for posting.  One of my best cruising memories was the sail out of Venice on Connie a couple of years ago.  

Agree.  We were on Connie to Barcelona and then Tampa a year later.  Grandson (Italian/US) said Fusina is easy to get to and a likely choice.  The accident along with shore damage has residents wanting ships moved BUT of course many still want the tourist dollars.

Ravenna cannot handle all Venice cruise ship traffic.  The good part of Ravenna is there are many great places to visit nearby while Venice is more industrial 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2020 at 6:54 AM, stevenmary said:

We had that pleasure in 2017. Fantastic views over Venice, entirely appropriate operatic music soundtrack on the pooldeck, then sailed into a massive thunderstorm. Could not have been a better combined natural & man-made sound and light show 😁

DSC01339.JPG

DSC01343.JPG

We had the pleasure of sailing into Venice on the Connie:  Rome to Venice - 04/27/16

Top deck, sipping champagne listening to Opera - one of our top cruise memories...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Royal Caribbean
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...