Cruising as a single from Barbados

catperson02

Well I have done it! I have booked myself onto A206 Azura's repositioning cruise in March 22. I have cruised the Med before from Southampton with my daughters and occasionally with my parents but this time I am literally flying solo. Any hints or tips would be great. I have also booked early saver for the first time, we usually go select to ensure that multiple cabins are close and that we dine together. I am really not bothered when I eat but I will probably ask for fixed dining to avoid the daily "where are you from, how many cruises conversations. If I get freedom then I won't be too bothered and as long as I have a balcony, which I have booked, location isn't important.

I know that it is too soon for flights to be available but do P&O usually fly from Gatwick or Heathrow? Gatwick would be my preference as there is a direct train from my local station but if it is Heathrow then so be it. I have an overnight in Barbados at the start, will there be tours available as I am not quite ready to explore on my own in the Caribbean? The other two ports are Cadiz and Gran Canaria which I am perfectly happy to DIY. I am a pretty social type of person and have seen lots of events for singles advertised in the Horizon on previous cruises so I intend to go along to as many as possible. When my daughters were younger they would be off with their friends from the children's clubs so I am fairly used to doing things on my own.

I know that March 22 is a long way off but planning is one of my favourite things.

Thanks

Good for you! In the past, the flights in the South have gone from Gatwick, as they are normally Charters. Used to be with either Thomson/TUI or Thomas Cook, not sure who has replaced Thomas Cook. They are often early morning flights. A good option for an overnight stay at reasonable cost is the Premier Inn North Terminal as it is directly in front of the Terminal building.

I believe (but may be wrong) that Freedom Dining is now the most popular, so chances are that on an early saver, you will get Fixed Dining.

Excursions will be available for your day in Barbados and the other alternative is just to walk into Bridgetown Centre, which from memory is about a 20 minute stroll and safe, especially during the day. It is a small town and just about impossible to get lost in.

Thank you. That sounds great. I didn't know about the Premier Inn. We have stayed at both the Hilton and the Sofitel in the past but they are a bit pricey. The Premier Inn sounds ideal. Having boldly said that I didn't mind where my cabin was located I had second thoughts today and have upgraded to a midships balcony HA grade (still early saver) because all of these cabins are in places that I would be happy to be and if they want to upgrade me to a superior delux then that's fine by me. Never been upgraded after numerous cruises on select fare so I am not holding my breath!

Another vote for the Premier Inn. Book early and the rates are very attractive, and the buffet breakfast at £9.95 is a bargain compared to eating inside the terminal itself. 

We tend to hop on the shuttle and eat at Wetherspoons in the South Terminal for our evening meal.

22 minutes ago, catperson02 said:

Thank you. That sounds great. I didn't know about the Premier Inn. We have stayed at both the Hilton and the Sofitel in the past but they are a bit pricey. The Premier Inn sounds ideal. Having boldly said that I didn't mind where my cabin was located I had second thoughts today and have upgraded to a midships balcony HA grade (still early saver) because all of these cabins are in places that I would be happy to be and if they want to upgrade me to a superior delux then that's fine by me. Never been upgraded after numerous cruises on select fare so I am not holding my breath!

I stayed at the Premier Inn last time I had an early flight. The room was comfortable and quiet. I ate in the restaurant there and food was fine, with good service. It is good value - especially when travelling solo.

Good for you for striking off solo.  I have taken several solo cruises when She Who Must Be Obeyed didn't want to go, and have found the extra bit of freedom refreshing.  I am in charge of my own time - not every decision about what to do is a committee decision. I can set the cabin thermostat at my level without a negotiation - SWMBO is always cold. I can turn the cabin lights on in the morning - SWMBO sleeps late.  I can eat anytime I want to - SWMBO insists on first seating.  I can stay on the ship on a port day if I want to - SWMBO is always afraid she'll miss something on shore.. I don't have to go to an over-amplified production show if I don't want to - SWMBO is always afraid she'll miss a good show.

Don't get me wrong, I love SWMBO dearly and we love to travel together, but going solo introduces a whole different dynamic to a cruise.  I can be alone without being lonely and a smile and greeting to a fellow traveler can often spark a delightful conversation.

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

We stayed at the airport travelodge which was fine and ate there in the evening.Rather than have breakfast at the hotel or terminal we booked the airport lounge which was great as breakfast was provided and it was a far more relaxing atmosphere than the main terminal building.

We've also used the Premier Inn just outside LGW North.  We used to use the one near the Shell garage, but it's worth the few quid more to stay right outside the terminal.  Saunter over to the shuttle for more places to eat in the evening, or take the train into Crawley for a better value choice.  The meal deal at the hotel is a good option as well if you don't fancy the terminals or Crawley itself.

Have also used the airport lounge as well, but that was evening so can't comment on breakfast.  In the evening, by the time you've had the light meal and some grog, it's about the same cost as eating and drinking in the terminal, but in a much more relaxed and pleasant atmosphere.