Will HAL follow Princess' and RCI's

DFWGUYZ

12 hours ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

One rather perplexing situation, was once I returned to my cabin, and the steward said - you were in Sabatinis and then on deck 16. So your steward will always know where you are. Big Brother is watching etc.

8 hours ago, DFWGUYZ said:

I can only think of the positives, knowing where your guests are would better expedite services for the Stewards. No interruptions while in the cabin. Efficient time management for the Stewards.  

As a woman who travels alone, my mind can't help but go to that poor woman on HAL who was ambushed in her cabin by a crew member, attacked, raped and nearly thrown overboard.  I wonder what liability HAL (or other lines) assume when these devices make it easier for passengers to be "stalked" by crew in such a way? 

Personally I have nothing against carrying such a device, but it doesn't sit well with me that my movements could be tracked by a room steward or potentially other crew.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

As a woman who travels alone, my mind can't help but go to that poor woman on HAL who was ambushed in her cabin by a crew member, attacked, raped and nearly thrown overboard.  I wonder what liability HAL (or other lines) assume when these devices make it easier for passengers to be "stalked" by crew in such a way? 

Personally I have nothing against carrying such a device, but it doesn't sit well with me that my movements could be tracked by a room steward or potentially other crew.

That was my initial thought too.

13 hours ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

One rather perplexing situation, was once I returned to my cabin, and the steward said - you were in Sabatinis and then on deck 16. So your steward will always know where you are. Big Brother is watching etc.

If I want someone to know where I am, I will tell them. Otherwise, it's none of their business. 
There's an easy way for the cabin steward to know whether or not I am in there---the privacy card is either in the door slot, or it isn't. 

• Like 1

I think this is getting out of context.  RCI's "wow bands" do not track your location.  They can only track your last use, just like a key card.  The new tracelets are a COVID-era device, intended to be used for contact tracing in the event of a COVID incident.  My impression is that they're temporary and not going to permanently replace the wow bands.    

• Like 3