Schrödinger’s Cruise

Between Covid closures and the sale of four ships causing the others to be shuffled, a lot of us are booked on on cruises that aren’t cancelled yet, but almost certainly will be.

We’re booked on the Zaandam Canada - New England cruise that ends in Boston on October 9, 2021. Now the Zaandam is doing the Grand Africa leaving Fort Lauderdale October 10. A ship can’t get from Boston to Fort Lauderdale in one day, so we know that cruise is probably dead. HAL says it’s alive.

That’s our ‘Schrödinger’s Cruise’. What’s yours?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Between Covid closures and the sale of four ships causing the others to be shuffled, a lot of us are booked on on cruises that aren’t cancelled yet, but almost certainly will be.

We’re booked on the Zaandam Canada - New England cruise that ends in Boston on October 9, 2021. Now the Zaandam is doing the Grand Africa leaving Fort Lauderdale October 10. A ship can’t get from Boston to Fort Lauderdale in one day, so we know that cruise is probably dead. HAL says it’s alive.

I thought that the Grand Africa actually begins in Boston.  If I recall correctly, the now canceled 2020 Grand Africa started in Boston.  

• Like 1

And Zaandam is evidently up for sale, so that adds another little piece to the puzzle....

Our Schrodinger's cruise is or is not a Mexican Riviera in April next year - we will only know when it does or does not happen!🙃😷

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tampa Girl said:

I thought that the Grand Africa actually begins in Boston.  If I recall correctly, the now canceled 2020 Grand Africa started in Boston.  

When the Rotterdam was doing the 2021 GA, there were two options: begin in Boston, or in Ft. Lauderdale. Before that, she was doing an East Coast Montreal to Ft. Lauderdale with no option to end in Boston. We were going B2B starting in Montreal, which made the Boston - Ft. Lauderdale leg cheaper since it was on the East Coast promo rate not  the Grand Voyage rate. 
The Zaandam’s schedule was a day or two later. The GA was officially transferred to the Zaandam. We rebooked our cancelled East Coast leg on the existing Zaandam cruise. We were even able to get our GA cabin. Sooner or later, they have to change her itinerary to get to Ft. Lauderdale on time.

1 hour ago, Tampa Girl said:

The 2020 GA was advertised this way but the 2021 has not.

• Like 2

I LOVE the metaphor.  We had a rescued cat we named Schrodinger, our beloved Miss Schrodie, but I digress.

We have Schrodinger’s cruise B2B out of San Diego in April.  We also have Schrodinger’s money, wondering if the 💰 paid-for-and-cancelled Fall 2021 cruise on (old) Rotterdam will make its way to the April ‘21 booking that may or may not happen.

Thanks for looking at all this craziness with a little bit of levity.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2020 at 4:03 PM, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

When the Rotterdam was doing the 2021 GA, there were two options: begin in Boston, or in Ft. Lauderdale. Before that, she was doing an East Coast Montreal to Ft. Lauderdale with no option to end in Boston. We were going B2B starting in Montreal, which made the Boston - Ft. Lauderdale leg cheaper since it was on the East Coast promo rate not  the Grand Voyage rate. 
The Zaandam’s schedule was a day or two later. The GA was officially transferred to the Zaandam. We rebooked our cancelled East Coast leg on the existing Zaandam cruise. We were even able to get our GA cabin. Sooner or later, they have to change her itinerary to get to Ft. Lauderdale on time.

Thank you for clarifying that.  I had forgotten that the 2021 was on the now-sold Rotterdam.  Definitely an itinerary change is in order.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2020 at 2:44 PM, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

the former Zuiderdam Farewell to Spain 17 day TA.  Great ports including 2 Canary Island, an overnight in Madeira with 2 full days and great Spanish ports and Casablanca.

Now replaced by the Volendam and the itinerary has been so changed you wouldn't recognize it. 😞 

It looks more like a Moroccan cruise now than a Spanish Farewell except it still sails out of Barcelona 😳 

• Like 1