Come sail with me on a virtual cruise to Hawaii on Ruby Princess

ellie1145

21 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

You definitely had great seats.  It's "cold" where I am now (62 degrees).  My heating bill was over $100 this past month.  Waiting to get back to the islands where it will be warmer.  What a difference a day makes (from Hilo).

We certainly did have great seats, which was very lucky. Those who arrived later did not have such a good view. We were right in front of the Preferred Seating Area, so it was brilliant. 

Hope you have warmed up a bit now! 🔥

The USA is certainly experiencing some unbelievably cold weather. We hope that all of you Cruising Adventurers are safe and warm. 

Take care all of you! Let us know you are surviving please! We watch CNN all the time and are shocked at the extent of the ‘freeze’ in Texas.

We have seen the poor turtles being lifted out of the water frozen and having to thaw them out, though some don’t make it. Poor things. 🐢

Edited by ellie1145
  • Like 1

On 2/17/2021 at 2:07 PM, AF-1 said:

cr8tiv1;  I have stayed at the Hale Koa and it is a great hotel.  It was built when I was stationed in Hawaii in mid 70's

How amazing to have been stationed in Hawaii, though I guess it was very different back then. 

How long were you there? 

20 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Ellie if you go back to Hawaii;  you would have to take a few days;  flying from London to Honolulu in one day is too long.

I think you are right, AF-1. Way too long a flight to do from Heathrow. But we could stop off on the way to see a little more of the USA, which would be a great! 😉

8 minutes ago, ellie1145 said:

How amazing to have been stationed in Hawaii, though I guess it was very different back then. 

How long were you there? 

I grew up in Hawaii.  My former spouse was also born in Hawaii, but also a military officer.  We were lucky enough to be stationed here too.  Daughter's baptismal party was held there.  Her son's first birthday party was also held there.  Much has changed and not always for the better.  "Home" will always be the islands.  I get back as often as I can (ship/plane I don't care).

• Like 1

20 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Fly from London to NYC....spend a couple of days in the city (or Boston/Orlando).  Then take a direct flight to HNL.  Hawaiian Airlines lay flat first class is wonderful!  

What a great idea, cr8tiv1. 

Sadly, I think first class is out of our league. But it must be amazing. The worst thing when flying cattle class is not being able to lie down and rest properly.

I think it would be our dream to fly first class..... a girl can dream, can’t she? 🤣

1 minute ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I grew up in Hawaii.  My former spouse was also born in Hawaii, but also a military officer.  We were lucky enough to be stationed here too.  Daughter's baptismal party was held there.  Her son's first birthday party was also held there.  Much has changed and not always for the better.  "Home" will always be the islands.  I get back as often as I can (ship/plane I don't care).

Thank you for sharing that, cr8tiv1. What a wonderful place to bring up children. I can understand why you like to escape to Hawaii as often as you can. 

May you have many more years enjoying the best of both worlds. 

6 minutes ago, ellie1145 said:

What a great idea, cr8tiv1. 

Sadly, I think first class is out of our league. But it must be amazing. The worst thing when flying cattle class is not being able to lie down and rest properly.

I think it would be our dream to fly first class..... a girl can dream, can’t she? 🤣

Funny story.  I was on a Panama Canal cruise.  After that, I flew from FLL to NYC (overnighted) and caught the direct flight to HNL with Hawaiian.  Upgraded to first class with miles.  It was great except I wasn't prepared to go from tropical to snow to tropical. Somewhere along the line I got sick (from the ship???) and slept most of the way.  Had to turn down some meals and amenities.  Boy, was I thankful for the lay flat seats.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Funny story.  I was on a Panama Canal cruise.  After that, I flew from FLL to NYC (overnighted) and caught the direct flight to HNL with Hawaiian.  Upgraded to first class with miles.  It was great except I wasn't prepared to go from tropical to snow to tropical. Somewhere along the line I got sick (from the ship???) and slept most of the way.  Had to turn down some meals and amenities.  Boy, was I thankful for the lay flat seats.

Oh no, you missed out on all that lovely food and all the pampering! What a shame! But at least you could lie down, thank goodness! Poor you. 🙈

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

We have also used our accumulated airline miles to either fly free in business / first or upgrade to that class when we are on long haul flights.  Back in 2013 we were on a cruise from Auckland to Sydney.  I managed to develop a hideous sinus infection on the last day of the cruise and actually went to the medical facility on the Diamond Princess to get medications.  We flew home on disembarkation day and thankfully had seats in first class, up in the nose of a 747 so as far away from other humans as I could be (the flight crew was on the deck above me).  I took my drugs and slept all the way to San Francisco.  So I can join the club in terms of not being able to avail myself of the wonderful wines and food in first!  But I was also very thankful for the lay flat pod!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ellie1145 said:

i look forward to some wonderful photos, Tom!  👍🏻

I’ll do my best. I’ve been accused by some because I take so many photos but like you when I look back on things that I photographed it brings back & reminds me as to what I did. 

Here’s some flower photos to wet your whistle. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ellie1145 said:

How long were you there? 

I was stationed at Hickam from 1975-1980;  almost five years.  When I arrived in 1975; there was no H1 or H2 freeways.  The only way to get downtown Waikiki from Hickam was Nimitz Highway past Sand Island and Aloha Tower and then into Waikiki.  The two freeways were built while I was there.  So it was a lot different.  The only way to north shore was Kam or Pali highway

Edited by AF-1
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

You are kama'aina!  Things change, listen to Iz lament.

Our daughter, ex-SIL, and 2 GKs were at MCBH 2009 - 2012.  We visited by airline and by Zaandam.  

Daughter's best friend and her DH were stationed at Hickam for several years same time frame.  But we have spent the most time on Kaua'i where dear friends have a timeshare.   

We have a special tie to the islands -- Iz is one of our favorites.  Our next booking is the Grand to HI 4/2022

My favorite shoes are Locals

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Papa Yoda said:

You are kama'aina!  Things change, listen to Iz lament.

We have a special tie to the islands -- Iz is one of our favorites.  Our next booking is the Grand to HI 4/2022

My favorite shoes :classic_laugh: are Locals

There are so many great local artists.  Too many to name.  I'm booked on the Grand before you .  Ellie should try to round us all up for a cruise.  Wouldn't that be a hoot.  I'll help HER pre-plan.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

There are so many great local artists.  Too many to name.  I'm booked on the Grand before you .  Ellie should try to round us all up for a cruise.  Wouldn't that be a hoot.  I'll help HER pre-plan.

itsahawaiithing.jpg.320233ce81645b2da679ce453e72b1b6.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The start of the feast - opening the ‘imu’

We are invited to make our way to where the ‘imu,’ or underground oven, is located, and where the roasted pig (Kalua Pua’a) is cooking.

Some of the men have amazing tattoos, with bold symmetrical patterns. One of the men carries a flaming torch. 

72F5C07D-DA4F-4858-AF43-C77F05F44BE3.thumb.jpeg.88799099c3aa68e4a166eb3599a63c0e.jpeg

4AE4032C-2706-4B80-9B10-B46FAF019290.thumb.jpeg.461049e8a8dc4bb517e4d0e07a2722e1.jpeg

We are guided, a table at a time, to a large square arena with a standing area at the front and tiered seats at the back. We are lucky enough to get seats to watch this fascinating procedure.

Cooking a pig in this way is a tradition in Hawaii. It requires a pit being dug and a fire being built, on top of which stones are placed. Once the stones are hot enough the pit is lined with vegetation and the meat placed on top. The whole pit is then covered in vegetation such as banana leaves, and several inches of soil is placed on top, sealing it to keep the steam in.

7CA77CC8-7E3F-4F26-987F-9519D0569142.thumb.jpeg.a24dfb246164d3c32d758eef8f62ecd1.jpeg

DFB96A52-E48C-4CDA-AB79-9511A02957AF.thumb.jpeg.21211c13eb7b041d49f2f7f6d2d21b39.jpeg

• Like 2

Some more photos  - I was trying to edit and it timed out so these photos disappeared from the above post. Sorry! 

DSC00782.thumb.JPG.4043e018711ffb048608bfb887fafe1d.JPG

DSC00783.thumb.JPG.da02518b629f51b17cd63919ff3480d1.JPG

DSC00784.thumb.JPG.fcc95fa04b4dd407f7d2adeb2bb1a123.JPG

DSC00785.thumb.JPG.27e56853597b942252a06d7c3790ab6e.JPG

DSC00786.thumb.JPG.efc79357bc3cbbe2b6fce4c306a324a6.JPG

Our first glimpse of the pig which seems to be cocooned in a mesh of chicken wire. 

DSC00787.thumb.JPG.1f3bda96ffa3bfcc85621266d96d80b0.JPG

DSC00788.thumb.JPG.af978b1ae4923110316d1414cb7351bd.JPG

The cooked pig can be seen clearly now. 

DSC00789.thumb.JPG.fb2a5b87e3c66b3b820d1547cbcea6c2.JPG

The meat is placed in a large metal tray before being led away. 

DSC00790.thumb.JPG.1c4c057965c71d7304359aea10568204.JPG

DSC00791.thumb.JPG.4454c9685d5fa0861bce27af80021036.JPG

DSC00792.thumb.JPG.f4e5a45e80a29378414d8bd877de344d.JPG

• Like 1

23 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

We have also used our accumulated airline miles to either fly free in business / first or upgrade to that class when we are on long haul flights.  Back in 2013 we were on a cruise from Auckland to Sydney.  I managed to develop a hideous sinus infection on the last day of the cruise and actually went to the medical facility on the Diamond Princess to get medications.  We flew home on disembarkation day and thankfully had seats in first class, up in the nose of a 747 so as far away from other humans as I could be (the flight crew was on the deck above me).  I took my drugs and slept all the way to San Francisco.  So I can join the club in terms of not being able to avail myself of the wonderful wines and food in first!  But I was also very thankful for the lay flat pod!

Oh no, azbirdmom! Not you, too! All that lovely food and drink. But at least you were able to sleep comfortably. That was a stroke of luck. 👍

• Like 1

23 hours ago, trbarton said:

I’ll do my best. I’ve been accused by some because I take so many photos but like you when I look back on things that I photographed it brings back & reminds me as to what I did. 

Here’s some flower photos to wet your whistle. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Wonderful photos, Tom. Exquisite! You can never take too many photos of flowers. They are just mesmerising in their beauty. Such clarity, and amazing colours. Thank you for sharing. 

As for taking too many photos, that is one of the many benefits of the digital camera age. When I had my first camera, a Kodak Brownie, we could not afford many reels of film - maybe only one or two with 12 or so shots on each one,  so you had to be very sparing about what photos you took, and oh, the disappointment when you had them printed to find out that half of them were out of focus or you’d cut someone’s head off. Now we can click away to our hearts content and check immediately to see if we’ve made a mistake. 

But the downside, of course, is very few actually get printed. I used to make photo books when we first started cruising - not the digital ones you do on the computer, but the old fashioned way when you stuck photos in. I used to write long descriptions of what we did and where we went, and looking back through these is an absolute joy, and reminds me of so many precious times we spent together with the children, especially the little things I would otherwise have forgotten. 

So keep taking your photos, Tom, and share them with us when you can! 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, AF-1 said:

I was stationed at Hickam from 1975-1980;  almost five years.  When I arrived in 1975; there was no H1 or H2 freeways.  The only way to get downtown Waikiki from Hickam was Nimitz Highway past Sand Island and Aloha Tower and then into Waikiki.  The two freeways were built while I was there.  So it was a lot different.  The only way to north shore was Kam or Pali highway

It must have been amazing to live in Hawaii then, before all the development that has taken place. I’m sure you have many happy memories and that the islands draw you back to their shores. 

20 hours ago, Papa Yoda said:

You are kama'aina!

Well, I had to look that one up, Papa Yoda! You learn something new every day! 

Kamaʻāina

Description

Description

Kamaʻāina is a word describing Hawaii residents regardless of their racial background, as opposed to kanaka which means a person of Native Hawaiian ancestry. A kamaʻāina may be considered to be someone who lives in Hawaii, or might be expanded to include people who once lived there but have moved away. Wikipedia

20 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

What a great idea, cr8tiv1!

What about it, Cruising Adventurers? Where should we go?

Would love your help, to plan it, too. 

It would certainly be a hoot! 🤣

Anyone want to hop aboard??? 🚢

Edited by ellie1145
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, ellie1145 said:

What a great idea, cr8tiv1!

What about it, Cruising Adventurers? Where should we go?

Would love your help, to plan it, too. 

It would certainly be a hoot! 🤣

I'm game for a "reunion".  I'm booked for a Hawaii cruise in late March 2021 from San Pedro. Not willing to give up my Window Suite on the Grand Princess.  I work way too hard to track down these wonderful suites.  

There's only one rule for slippers/slippahs/flipflops...You take them off before entering anyone's home.  one rule part 2.  You are not allowed to swap up/upgrade to someone else's better slippers when you leave.  

Not my photo and this is not the norm.  People generally do not hold their places in line with their footwear.  Just thought it was funny.  

Edited by cr8tiv1