Come sail with me on a virtual cruise to Hawaii on Ruby Princess

ellie1145

On 3/4/2021 at 2:00 PM, cnd crsr said:

Sorry to hear the BI cruises have been cancelled for this summer. Now I am starting to think our November B2B2B, Med and TA  could be cancelled as well.

Thank goodness Ellie is taking us along on her virtual cruises. And right now with snow and cold temperatures here, Hawaii is the perfect place to cruise.

I’m so glad you are still enjoying the trip. 

We, too, are feeling uncertain about our transatlantic cruise in November. A lot has to improve in a very short time before it can happen, and we are not sure how that is going to pan out. 

I have to admit that it is nice to see the lovely Hawaiian sunshine again as we revisit our trip. We are about to have a very chilly spell here in the UK, minus 4 C (25F) tonight. We could certainly do with feeling the warm sun on our faces. 

On 3/4/2021 at 2:23 PM, cnd crsr said:

Hi Ellie,

Hope you don't mind sharing your taxi this morning in Kauai. On one of our visits here, DH and I took a taxi  just as you are doing today.When we returned to the port, we walked over to the Marriott  Hotel on Kalapaki Beach. The gardens here were well worth the visit.If I remember correctly, the hotel was built around the Botanical Gardens which made for a beautiful setting.

Gail

Glad to have you along, Gail, there was plenty of room!

Sounds like a walk to the Marriott Hotel would be a great way to end the day. Another one for our bucket list I think. Thank you for the suggestion! 👍

On 3/5/2021 at 11:55 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

Our Ohana is growing.  Congratulations on the new addition.  We really do have to take a cruise together.  It feels like "home" when I visit this site.  2022 sounds like the year to book a cruise to Hawaii.  Oh...gee...I have one booked !

Great news, cr8tiv1. Fingers crossed for that cruise! 🤞

On 3/6/2021 at 1:52 PM, margord said:

I guess it is a matter of opinion.  I believe she was just joking with us and did not mean it to be offensive.  I will say no more.

Thank you very much for that. I certainly didn’t mean to offend. Perhaps its my weird British sense of humour....🤭

On 3/6/2021 at 4:37 PM, CruzinNoony said:

Actually, I was very interested in hearing Ellie's take on the issue.  After all, this originated in her country, and is the hot topic around the world right now.  I have been following her travels for a year and feel like I know her.  Personally, I would like to hear more about how she feels on the subject.  Just saying.

Thank you, CruzinNoony. One of the things which has been really heartening about doing these virtual cruises has been the wonderful response of people, and the lack of any nastiness. I certainly didn’t mean to offend in any way. It was very tongue in cheek. I’m glad that after travelling along with me for so long you know me better than to think I would willingly be offensive. 

As a Brit, I think it is very difficult for others to fully understand the workings of the Royal Family. Indeed, we don’t always understand it ourselves! 

But they are not celebrities. They don’t tend to lead a celebrity lifestyle with all the trappings, nor do they usually court publicity for publicity’s sake. It comes with the job unfortunately. They are not perfect, as we have seen with recent events surrounding Prince Andrew, but they do have a sense of duty . Whilst of course, the Royal Family own castles, and live in spectacularly historic buildings, the Queen, for example, is quite frugal in her daily habits, and anyone who has ever toured Buckingham Palace will, I’m sure agree, that it is quite tatty and threadbare inside. It certainly shocked me the first time I saw inside. For her, walking across windswept Scottish moors with a dog at her heels, or riding a horse across Windsor Great Park are what she loves best. 

Prince William and Kate are excellent examples of how royals should behave. Thanks to his mother, William has inherited her natural ability to reach out to the general public. Kate, too, has an innate ability to communicate with people. Their children, too, are adorable, but are only seen on rare occasions. Who cannot smile at Charlotte as she pokes her tongue out at onlookers?

However, Kate has not had an easy time, as she was often called ‘Waity Katie’ when William took so long to get round to marrying her. But William did the right thing. Knowing how his mother suffered as a result of not being fully supported by either her husband or the establishment he took his time, desperate to ensure that he did not throw Kate into the public eye until she was ready to take on all the responsibilities that go with being married to the second in line to the throne. He also wanted to be sure that she realised what she might be taking on, and that she was strong enough to cope with life as a royal. The whole process took 10 years, and Kate has adapted well to a life of duty.

Thankfully she has turned out to be a wonderful wife, mother and member of the royal family, and they have been able to balance a private family life with the duties of being working royals, and they do it with a great grace, warmth and humility.

It is very sad that we have lost another potential great addition to the Royal Family, but sadly, the speed at which the romance proceeded did not allow for a long period of adjustment and learning. Being a Royal is very different from being a celebrity. Changing the way the Royal Family operate is not easy.

Now they have chosen celebrity, and the potential to earn millions and to give interviews that will sell for billions across the world. But that is their choice. 

Both boys suffered greatly from the loss of their beloved mother, and one can only feel sympathy for them. It was a tragic event which has shaped both in different ways. 

I hope none of that sounds offensive. 

• Like 2

I've been looking for a sign that was posted at the Marriott.  But will multiple computer changes, I can't find it.  The sign displayed the weather...Hawaiian Style. Well, well...you can find everything on the internet:

image.jpeg.c425cb31fe89bcec0032f8509a68f4a1.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, cr8tiv1 said:

I've been looking for a sign that was posted at the Marriott.  But will multiple computer changes, I can't find it.  The sign displayed the weather...Hawaiian Style. Well, well...you can find everything on the internet:

I was around for Hurricane Iwa back in 1982.  Got a story for that too.....

I also can't find the photo of the chicken right outside of Kentucky Fried Chicken building in Kauai.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Love it, crv8tiv1

Pity we don’t have any coconuts here as maybe our weather forecasts would be more accurate! 😉

4 hours ago, ellie1145 said:

Now they have chosen celebrity, and the potential to earn millions and to give interviews that will sell for billions across the world. But that is their choice. 

I watched the interview with Oprah tonight.  From their telling they had no choice.  They were cut off from the Royal funds a year ago and also Harry's protective detail was taken away around the same time.  He said that they thankfully had the money that Diana had left him but he had to ensure his family was secure, hence the deals.  I felt a great deal of sympathy for them, but I guess there are two sides to every story and none of us knows what it is like to be in someone else's shoes.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

I watched the interview with Oprah tonight.  From their telling they had no choice.  They were cut off from the Royal funds a year ago and also Harry's protective detail was taken away around the same time.  He said that they thankfully had the money that Diana had left him but he had to ensure his family was secure, hence the deals.  I felt a great deal of sympathy for them, but I guess there are two sides to every story and none of us knows what it is like to be in someone else's shoes.

You are absolutely correct azbirdmom. There are two sides to every story and we have heard only one side. It is unlikely (but you never know) that the Royal Family will ever be able to put their side. I certainly don’t know the truth and won’t speculate on who did what. I have not watched the interview so cannot comment on that, nor would I wish to on this forum.

As far as the money is concerned, for information, we the British people pay for the Royal Family out of our taxes. As such we expect them to work for that and to play their part as royals. That is not my opinion, it is fact. At times that job must be frustrating, often boring, repetitive but necessary. Having opted out of Royal duties here in the U.K. that ‘wage’ ceased, although their father continued to subsidise them privately. I don’t know if that fact was mentioned in the interview.

The greatest tragedy is that the four of them (Harry, Meghan, William and Kate) could have been a huge influence for good.  They had made enormous inroads together in highlighting mental health issues, for example. They were young, they all had an innate ability to reach out to people, and they could have done much good. Working together they could have changed the monarchy, little by little, just as Diana did. But it doesn’t happen overnight. 

The Monarchy is enormously important to the British people as it is the ultimate protection against the rise of a dictator, and the destruction of our democracy. As long as we have a Queen (or King) no one person in government can become all powerful. The Queen has no political power, thank goodness, but she provides a safety net. However, they are not perfect, and certainly have their problems.

Had they remained in the U.K. they would, of course, have enjoyed the protection of the British police etc. But living in California it is unlikely that the huge cost of their security could have continued to be paid for by the British public. Canada made it quite clear that if they remained in that country it would not pay for their security, and that is understandable, especially in the dire circumstances we find ourselves in due to Covid. . I imagine that the American public would also be unwilling to pay, but maybe I am wrong? 

It is truly sad that it should have come to this end. But one thing is clear, sadly, there was very little time to prepare Meghan for what was ahead and she was thrown into the deep end very rapidly. It took 10 years to prepare Kate. But within a year Meghan was part of the firm. It must have been very hard for Meghan to adapt or even understand the way the monarchy operates, especially as an American.

But the one good thing is that Harry has found love, and the family he so desired. He has a beautiful son and a little daughter on the way. May they bring him much joy. I hope that they can put this behind them and that they can enjoy what they have. I’m only sorry that poor Diana never lived to enjoy her beautiful grandchildren. She would have been a wonderful grandmother. But at least she showed both boys how to be spontaneous and to give love and affection, and that is maybe one of her finest achievements, and one of the greatest changes in the way the Royal Family bring up their children. William will certainly be a very different king as the result of her upbringing of him and Harry.

And now we had better get on with our adventure on the beautiful island of Kauai.

I wonder, cr8tiv1, if you could solve a problem for me please?

How DO you pronounce the name? 🤔😉

10 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I have never been to Hawaii but I am sure weather there is always perfect. I think my next destination will be Hawaii. Such a nice place to visit and its the US which is even twice as comfortable for a visit 

2 hours ago, Roger88 said:

Such a nice place to visit and its the US which is even twice as comfortable for a visit 

What does that mean? And as you have never been there, how do you know it is a nice place to visit?

3 hours ago, Roger88 said:

I have never been to Hawaii but I am sure weather there is always perfect. I think my next destination will be Hawaii. Such a nice place to visit and its the US which is even twice as comfortable for a visit 

Perfect sun and perfect rain...every day. Sometimes both at the same time.🤪

You can almost set your watch by what time it starts to rain.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, ellie1145 said:

Thank you, CruzinNoony. One of the things which has been really heartening about doing these virtual cruises has been the wonderful response of people, and the lack of any nastiness. I certainly didn’t mean to offend in any way. It was very tongue in cheek. I’m glad that after travelling along with me for so long you know me better than to think I would willingly be offensive. 

As a Brit, I think it is very difficult for others to fully understand the workings of the Royal Family. Indeed, we don’t always understand it ourselves! 

But they are not celebrities. They don’t tend to lead a celebrity lifestyle with all the trappings, nor do they usually court publicity for publicity’s sake. It comes with the job unfortunately. They are not perfect, as we have seen with recent events surrounding Prince Andrew, but they do have a sense of duty . Whilst of course, the Royal Family own castles, and live in spectacularly historic buildings, the Queen, for example, is quite frugal in her daily habits, and anyone who has ever toured Buckingham Palace will, I’m sure agree, that it is quite tatty and threadbare inside. It certainly shocked me the first time I saw inside. For her, walking across windswept Scottish moors with a dog at her heels, or riding a horse across Windsor Great Park are what she loves best. 

Prince William and Kate are excellent examples of how royals should behave. Thanks to his mother, William has inherited her natural ability to reach out to the general public. Kate, too, has an innate ability to communicate with people. Their children, too, are adorable, but are only seen on rare occasions. Who cannot smile at Charlotte as she pokes her tongue out at onlookers?

However, Kate has not had an easy time, as she was often called ‘Waity Katie’ when William took so long to get round to marrying her. But William did the right thing. Knowing how his mother suffered as a result of not being fully supported by either her husband or the establishment he took his time, desperate to ensure that he did not throw Kate into the public eye until she was ready to take on all the responsibilities that go with being married to the second in line to the throne. He also wanted to be sure that she realised what she might be taking on, and that she was strong enough to cope with life as a royal. The whole process took 10 years, and Kate has adapted well to a life of duty.

Thankfully she has turned out to be a wonderful wife, mother and member of the royal family, and they have been able to balance a private family life with the duties of being working royals, and they do it with a great grace, warmth and humility.

It is very sad that we have lost another potential great addition to the Royal Family, but sadly, the speed at which the romance proceeded did not allow for a long period of adjustment and learning. Being a Royal is very different from being a celebrity. Changing the way the Royal Family operate is not easy.

Both boys suffered greatly from the loss of their beloved mother, and one can only feel sympathy for them. It was a tragic event which has shaped both in different ways. 

I hope none of that sounds offensive. 

Hi Ellie,

Thanks so much for continuing this adventure, especially with so much going on in your life.  It's greatly appreciated and I have enjoyed a virtual "Bucket List Item" being closed.  One day it may be from an actual visit!!  Fingers crossed.

I also loved your explanation of the Royals.  My DW and I have watched the series The Crown and were intrigued by how the Royal Family functions.  Granted, much of it is likely embellished, but from what Queen Elizabeth II has said, it has many good pieces and parts.  I have grown to respect her very much as a woman thrust into such a position.  I must say, though, I felt very sorry for Princess Diana and the way she was treated.  It's a very interesting life style and has a unique purpose.  I hope my comments don't offend any of the wonderful British folks on your page.

• Thanks 1

We drive through some stunning countryside and then our driver pulls into a large car park. We have no idea what we are about to see, but when we get out and climb up the path the views take our breath away. 

DSC00854.thumb.JPG.803c8feab578f44b725777c50ddfca26.JPG

DSC00858.thumb.JPG.497eb88ed84d691ae2f3cc75e834c0c0.JPG

DSC00859.thumb.JPG.017d1270a3142209d284b330d70e619a.JPG

DSC00860.thumb.JPG.1ccf0cc5edfe1ddee0f3d36146071491.JPG

DSC00861.thumb.JPG.692dddc094d3edbce03e199b0d3221fb.JPG

DSC00862.thumb.JPG.abfc7cc20a041145feadb09f208b3a2e.JPG

DSC00863.thumb.JPG.876ab9100320f4ec94474d108d88498d.JPG

At school I loved geography. But in those days we learned it via textbooks, and grainy films in black and white, if we were lucky. How I would have loved to have seen the panorama before me when I was that age. The geology and geography would have had so much more meaning to me if I could have seen it for myself.  

But in those days I could not have imagined ever standing looking at the extraordinary sight before me, let alone having flown across the Atlantic, and sailed across the Pacific to Hawaii. 

DSC00864.thumb.JPG.623430393ac7f3054ba93f155fe9b8f0.JPG

DSC00865.thumb.JPG.4eb766374b26d75b37f17998f495afaf.JPG

DSC00866.thumb.JPG.5d548b69d0e854ea439ac7fd4672b748.JPG

Waimea Canyon Lookout

Waimea Canyon stretches for 14 miles. It is a mile wide and over 3,600 ft deep. The lookout enables us to view the deep gorges and rugged crags of this very dramatic canyon.  The name ‘Waimea’ is Hawaiian for ‘reddish water’ and looking down we can see the deep red of the canyon’s soil.

Whilst the canyon was formed by erosion from the Waimea River, arising from the extreme rainfall,  it was the catastrophic collapse of the volcano which began the process. Kauai is actually the top of a huge volcano which rises up from the ocean floor. During the many eruptions of this volcano, a portion of the island collapsed and formed a depression which was then filled with lava. Rainwater then began the of process erosion which resulted in the canyon which we can now see.

We climb up some steep steps but the view is truly spectacular.

DSC00866.thumb.JPG.5c3dece517e7342c91f45bcb213c1cbf.JPG

DSC00867.thumb.JPG.c6573c448ddeb4bf1eafb9beb8aeb37f.JPG

DSC00868.thumb.JPG.78bac6b4855da589687e86204ab2c582.JPG

DSC00869.thumb.JPG.86f5a7213d36b40dcdf984e3706f40b0.JPG

DSC00870.thumb.JPG.c584849861e6ceaf72bb1c22464bc801.JPG

The lookout is huge and affords us an amazing view of the canyon itself. It is well worth the climb. 

We spend some time just taking in its beauty, and I take lots of photos (of course!) 🤣

DSC00871.thumb.JPG.03ad925245be32d5c093225bc2f4e1f9.JPG

DSC00872.thumb.JPG.b22b85152b8f832b0537c147a2ad1e3b.JPG

DSC00873.thumb.JPG.c0fbbd6637448c3ba85ab57e41f8a625.JPG

DSC00874.thumb.JPG.9e2276d24c75e3f2d3ecf89b144478a1.JPG

• Like 1

Here are some factoids that came out of the hurricane that struck Kauai.  Maybe it will show up in some Trivia Game aboard the ship.

•   Dirt Shirts:  https://reddirtmaui.com/collections/dirt-shirts

•. Jurassic Park was actually being filmed when the hurricane (Iwa) hit the islands.  The beginning footage is for real.  Then they moved the filming to Kualoa Ranch (Oahu) to film the remaining.

•  Roosters escaped during the hurricane and are now feral ambassadors.

•  Mount Wai'ale'ale is (debatable) the wettest spot on earth.  Best seen by helicopter along with Na'Pali Coast.

•  Many other famous movies were done on this island.

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Thanks 1

Why did the chicken cross the road?..

The Hawaiian Goose (or Nene) is the official State Bird of Hawaii, but some joke that the real official bird of Kauai is the feral chicken.

DSC00889.thumb.JPG.5b0f9a6edbf99d71bc4292eb0a505ad5.JPG

I’m sure you have heard of feral cats, but did you know there are feral chickens? I certainly didn’t!

Well, on Kauai, there are thousands of wild chickens or ‘moa’ and they have few natural predators so they thrive. Unlike many other Hawaiian islands, the mongoose was not introduced into Kauai, and as a result, the chicken population has grown at an alarming rate. However, in their defence, they do eat the venomous centipede which is native to Kauai. This insect can give you a nasty and very painful bite.

DSC00890.thumb.JPG.48d3e095856a3f36f85584f7820fd7ff.JPG

It is believed that these chickens are all descended from the red jungle fowl, which were brought to Hawaii as food by Polynesians. These vibrantly plumaged birds were later cross bred with domestic chickens after Captain Cook landed in 1778.

However, they really came into their own far more recently, after Hurricane Iwa hit the island in 1982, blowing chickens out of their coops and scattering them across the islands, where they bred like the proverbial rabbits. Then, in 1992, Hurricane Iniki wreaked havoc and destroyed chicken enclosures, releasing many of the island’s domestic chickens and roosters bred for fighting, into the jungle.

DSC00891.thumb.JPG.e367c5b3de4d72a4da8ddfdd7ad43d4a.JPG

There is a ‘love-hate’ relationship with these birds, whose crowing can be quite annoying, who frequently fight over scraps of food and even attack humans. Those who hate them call them rats with wings. But with their colourful plumage they are often a tourist attraction. I know that I couldn’t resist taking photos of them!

Edited by ellie1145
  • Like 1

On 3/8/2021 at 12:12 AM, cr8tiv1 said:

I was around for Hurricane Iwa back in 1982.  Got a story for that too.....

I also can't find the photo of the chicken right outside of Kentucky Fried Chicken building in Kauai.  

By the sound of it, Hurricane Iwa was pretty destructive. How did you keep safe?

That must have been one brave (or foolhardy) chicken to hang out at Kentucky Fried Chicken! But I believe these feral chickens are not as tasty as the domestic kind?

On 3/8/2021 at 10:17 AM, Roger88 said:

It certainly is a beautiful destination, and one we would love to return to.

I guess that Americans feel like it is coming home when they visit, as there are so many familiar things.

On 3/8/2021 at 1:28 PM, JF - retired RRT said:

Perfect sun and perfect rain...every day. Sometimes both at the same time.🤪

You can almost set your watch by what time it starts to rain.

We could certainly do with some of that sunshine here in the UK. We are experiencing some stormy weather at the moment, with rain and wind battering our garden.

I long to feel the warmth of the Hawaiian or Australian sun on my face.