CDC releases Conditional Sailing Order

Anchorbuoy

Just now, mrlevin said:

Do you consider it a privilege to be able to circumvent the closure of the Canadian USA border to fly to Florida for the winter?  After all, I didn't have the same privilege to visit Alberta and BC this past summer.

Well technically it's not a circumvention--the U.S. made their own rules and did not ban air travel. They're welcome to do so any time. I will be flying to Detroit and David will pick me up.  Since he's dual, he can drive across.

In general I feel very privileged, about many things, including that we managed to have so many wonderful trips, that we have not been hit financially by the pandemic, that we have multiple homes if we can get to them.  And that we're so far healthy.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Sorry, I was talking about your joke, the one about cruisers being designated as "superspreaders".

Gotcha!  Okay...we are forgiven :-) 

Maybe I need to be more careful about saying something that could me misinterpreted or offensive to someone....But as long as most of us understand the need for a bit of levity these days I suppose I'm safe?  😁

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

Gotcha!  Okay...we are forgiven 🙂

Maybe I need to be more careful about saying something that could me misinterpreted or offensive to someone....But as long as most of us understand the need for a bit of levity these days I suppose I'm safe?  😁

Yes on both counts I guess.  I tend to be rather serious most of the time, and certainly need some levity in my life!

• Like 2

I found this CDC website page to be interesting, particularly the following paragraphs:

"All cruise ships operating in U.S. waters, or seeking to operate in U.S. waters, must comply with all of the requirements under the Framework for Conditional Sailing Order and Technical Instructions even when outside U.S. waters.

As ships become eligible to transport crew members commercially, this page will provide a list of cruise ships meeting those criteria"

"What does it mean if a cruise line or cruise ship is not listed on the table above?

If a cruise line or cruise ship is not listed, it means it is not operating and does not plan to operate in U.S. waters during the initial phases of the Framework for Conditional Sailing Order"

At present neither Regent Seven Seas Cruises nor any of its ships are listed ☹️.

Draw your own conclusions as to when a Regent ship will next be operating in US waters.

• Thanks 1

But only one NCL and one Oceania ship are listed; both currently in USA waters.  I think that note at the bottom is to remind the cruise lines they better start the "crew process" approvals for all of their ships that may be in USA waters in 2021.  They had no need in the past if their ships were not in USA waters and they were not planning on flying in crew via USA.  

BTW, just one Carnival ship was on the list.

Marc

Interesting.  I don't know if the list was updated in the past 5 hours, but that seems unlikely this Saturday evening on a holiday weekend.  I see 3 NCL ships:  Gem, Jewel, & Pride of America.  And Oceania Regatta, but no Regent ships.  FDR did say they are planning on starting out with one ship for each line (or maybe 3? on NCL).

I wonder exactly what they consider "the initial phases of the Framework for Conditional Sailing Order."

Edited by SusieQft

10 hours ago, flossie009 said:

Draw your own conclusions as to when a Regent ship will next be operating in US waters.

Perhaps Regent will provide information on their future plans in the next monthly update; which should be published soon.

................ or @Regent Seven Seas Cruises might care to update us on their intentions for a return to the operation of Regent ships in 2021.

I didn't read the entire above article, but did notice the beginning about cruise lines considering demanding mandatory vaccinations.  I'm down with that, absolutely!  (Of course it's going to be some time before we really know the efficacy and longevity of the protection these vaccinations provide, and of course, they will different among the different products.)

On 11/28/2020 at 4:24 PM, flossie009 said:

I found this CDC website page to be interesting, particularly the following paragraphs:

"All cruise ships operating in U.S. waters, or seeking to operate in U.S. waters, must comply with all of the requirements under the Framework for Conditional Sailing Order and Technical Instructions even when outside U.S. waters.

As ships become eligible to transport crew members commercially, this page will provide a list of cruise ships meeting those criteria"

"What does it mean if a cruise line or cruise ship is not listed on the table above?

If a cruise line or cruise ship is not listed, it means it is not operating and does not plan to operate in U.S. waters during the initial phases of the Framework for Conditional Sailing Order"

At present neither Regent Seven Seas Cruises nor any of its ships are listed ☹️.

CDC updated the list today (December 1) to show all ships that have a complete and accurate response plan for operating in US waters during the initial phases of the framework for CSO.  Regent and all of its ships are still absent. 

CDC states that the list will be updated weekly, every Tuesday.  Hopefully Regent will be part of the process next time around.

• Like 1

I've read the hopeful timing for the US gen pop vaccination will be in the April/May/June months.  If it's the two dose regimen, I'd guess you have to add two months to the initial shot date for the vaccine to take effect.

My internist just Monday re-emphasized that being vaccinated will not mean tossing the masks and gathering in large groups right off the bat, but also that this is a huge step toward a more normalized life.  He's guessing I'll be in tranche 1B once the final prioritization decisions are made.  

• Like 1

On 12/2/2020 at 9:39 PM, greykitty said:

Not sure where this might go, but apparently in the US we will all get little cards with the our vaccinations - I vaguely remember vaccination cards when I was a child

Vaccination cards will be issued to everyone getting Covid-19 vaccine, health officials say - CNN

Yes, but it seems to me they should have an electronic component, like a QR code, so the information can be verified.  Vaccination cards could too easily be counterfeited, don't you think?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Yes, but it seems to me they should have an electronic component, like a QR code, so the information can be verified.  Vaccination cards could too easily be counterfeited, don't you think?

Oh, I agree - I wonder if this is a quick, cheaper workaround to address folks who don't have access to personal electronics for whatever reason, or simply won't use it, as well as facing the fact we don't have a national database, to my knowledge.  In a perfect world, they'd have the best people working on a national data base easily linked into by local entities.  Our world - at least in the US there are people who are so suspicious of everything they'd see this as a massive conspiracy, IMO.  Geez, the people screeching about the Real ID driver licenses in the US...

I know people who don't don't even like MyChart (a medical practice's electronic recordkeeping/access to practitioners application) because they think 'people' know too much about them.  

3 hours ago, greykitty said:

Oh, I agree - I wonder if this is a quick, cheaper workaround to address folks who don't have access to personal electronics for whatever reason, or simply won't use it, as well as facing the fact we don't have a national database, to my knowledge.  In a perfect world, they'd have the best people working on a national data base easily linked into by local entities.  Our world - at least in the US there are people who are so suspicious of everything they'd see this as a massive conspiracy, IMO.  Geez, the people screeching about the Real ID driver licenses in the US...

I know people who don't don't even like MyChart (a medical practice's electronic recordkeeping/access to practitioners application) because they think 'people' know too much about them.  

Again you make me feel lucky I'm not American, lol.

As for QR codes, think about your passports--they are scannable.  Has nothing to do with whether the bearer is tech-savvy or not. So no reason this can't be.  Unless of course, they just shoot a chip in there when they jab you, ha ha.

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, flossie009 said:

Interesting article debating whether cruise-lines will jump through the CDC hoops or simply wait for vaccination roll out:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5774/

On December 7th, CDC again updated the list that shows which cruiselines and ships have a complete and accurate response plan for operating in US waters with the CSO (conditional sailing order).  Regent and all of its ships are still absent. 

It is possible that Regent has decided not to sail in the USA until vaccines are widespread ??