How this for optimistic I bought a new passport holder today ,have you bought anything for your next cruise.

dolittle

2 hours ago, CARIBPRINCESS said:

figured they would be great for cruising!

Curious how luggage is "great for cruising" vs. just good luggage. It's all for travel so does it matter if it's cruising or something else. Actually now that I think about it for cruising it would only need to be minimal since you use it only at the beginning and the end. Interesting.

14 minutes ago, clo said:

Curious how luggage is "great for cruising" vs. just good luggage. It's all for travel so does it matter if it's cruising or something else. Actually now that I think about it for cruising it would only need to be minimal since you use it only at the beginning and the end. Interesting.

My cruise luggage is big.  My husband encourages me to bring anything I could possibly want because the porters handle it at the airport and dock and the crew handles it on board.  He says it is better than listening to me whine about not having something😉.  

When I travel on land I end up handling the bags myself or with his assistance and I try to keep it light.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, clo said:

So I just "wanted" new luggage! Does that sound better to you? To each his/her own, right?

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, CARIBPRINCESS said:

So I just "wanted" new luggage! Does that sound better to you? To each his/her own, right?

Absolutely to each their own. We're just the types who don't do that for things that are simply functional like luggage. Probably why we seldom have any desire to buy new things for travel if it's not needed.

On 11/24/2020 at 5:44 PM, clo said:

Absolutely to each their own. We're just the types who don't do that for things that are simply functional like luggage. Probably why we seldom have any desire to buy new things for travel if it's not needed.

That's our philosophy too. Things evolve as technology, cruise and airline policies all change. A small battery alarm clock used to be essential, but now the Kindle and cell phone suffice. My need for large suitcases only exists when I visit relatives in Europe and need it for gifts.

2 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

That's our philosophy too. Things evolve as technology, cruise and airline policies all change. A small battery alarm clock used to be essential, but now the Kindle and cell phone suffice. My need for large suitcases only exists when I visit relatives in Europe and need it for gifts.

Ditto re the phone instead of a clock. A couple (?) of years ago I bought a new carryon bag (from ebags) that was guaranteed to fit under any commercial airline seat. The reason was because of all the pigs who were/are carrying on more than they should. I've only had to put it under the seat a couple of times but it sure was nice. Plus it's incredibly well organized.

7 minutes ago, clo said:

The reason was because of all the pigs who were/are carrying on more than they should. ...

It is interesting to see how many, various sized pieces people can drag on board a plane as their “one carry-on and a personal item” — sort of shows how other people are forced to subsidize the claims of those who can do

“a three week cruise with just carry-on” - justifying it with the same way people ignore MDR dress requests:  “If they don’t enforce it,  it is just a suggestion, not a rule”.

4 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

It is interesting to see how many, various sized pieces people can drag on board a plane as their “one carry-on and a personal item” — sort of shows how other people are forced to subsidize the claims of those who can do

“a three week cruise with just carry-on” - justifying it with the same way people ignore MDR dress requests:  “If they don’t enforce it,  it is just a suggestion, not a rule”.

And, even though I'm a woman and a staunch supporter of women, I wouldn't help one get those dang bags into the overhead EVER. And the FAs don't enforce it. A few gate checks would help IMO.