Term "BLOCKS ARE IN THE HOUSE"

peteryan

While modern ships are indeed built in many prefabricated blocks of cabins etc, the term “blocks are in the house” originally referred to the keel blocks, the necessary first step in traditional construction. 
image.jpeg.a385907063ef3d3b2e0e2e231dbc0739.jpeg

In this dry dock photo the center line is the keel blocks while the blocks on each side support the hull. The blocks have to be adjusted by shims to conform to the shape of the hull. In traditional construction step 1 is properly conforming the keel blocks; step 2 is to lay down the keel. The hull was then built out from the keel, and the rest of the ship followed. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

With the new CruiseCritic format, I can’t find an edit function; does it exist?

With modern construction a few of the construction modular blocks would indeed “be in the house” at the beginning of construction, but only a very small percentage. The rest of the modular blocks are delivered “just in time”. 

10 hours ago, yogimax said:

Geesh, the issue has nothing to do with a good question from the OP, but with the exceeding long threads that often develop with titles...  "______ blocks are in the house."

What's your issue?

Perhaps you could have been a little more clear in your original reply to this thread; it came across as negative to more than one person.  I apologize for my incorrect interpretation?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Biker19 said:

A bit harder to tell with the post number no longer being obviously shown.

When did this change?

13 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Perhaps you could have been a little more clear in your original reply to this thread; it came across as negative to more than one person.  I apologize for my incorrect interpretation?

I understood it how he meant it.

13 hours ago, yogimax said:

Geesh, the issue has nothing to do with a good question from the OP, but with the exceeding long threads that often develop with titles...  "______ blocks are in the house."

What's your issue?

If that's the case, its even worse. In the House and future deployment threads are the meat and potatoes of this board. 

Why object to that. Must be a slow day up your way

20 hours ago, BND said:

Ships are built in "blocks" or sections which is where the term comes from.  The blocks are delivered to the ship yard to be welded together.  Interiors are also delivered in blocks as they are built elsewhere.  Sections of cabins, etc.

Yes ships are built in blocks but the term is from when they start construction ie put down the blocks to hold the steel up for the first weld and there is a ceremony too 

5 hours ago, Hogbay said:

Yes ships are built in blocks but the term is from when they start construction ie put down the blocks to hold the steel up for the first weld and there is a ceremony too 

The CP150 name comes from it's block number

• Like 2

22 hours ago, TravelerThom said:

While modern ships are indeed built in many prefabricated blocks of cabins etc, the term “blocks are in the house” originally referred to the keel blocks, the necessary first step in traditional construction. 
image.jpeg.a385907063ef3d3b2e0e2e231dbc0739.jpeg

In this dry dock photo the center line is the keel blocks while the blocks on each side support the hull. The blocks have to be adjusted by shims to conform to the shape of the hull. In traditional construction step 1 is properly conforming the keel blocks; step 2 is to lay down the keel. The hull was then built out from the keel, and the rest of the ship followed. 

Well, in all my drydockings, and shipbuildings, I've never seen shims on the blocks.  The keel is a straight, flat line, and the "bilge blocks" are only in the flat bottom area (90% of the bottom), so all blocks are set at the height the yard feels necessary to do the job (Oasis had extra high blocks when the removed the engine out the bottom of the ship) and shot with a transit to ensure a true surface. The blocks are traditionally a hard wood like oak, and there will be "soft capping" of pine on each block to crush as the ship rests on it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3