Forced Overnight Hotel

Lynne&Barry

Alternatively, could it be for this reason?  "The CDC may also require post-day disembarkation testing of all passengers and crew -- something that could end the days of those seeking to fly home immediately after the voyage has concluded."  (Quote copied from Cruise Critic article unpacking the CDC's Conditional Sail order.)  This could be an indication Regent plans to make Splendor its first ship out of the starting gate.

4 minutes ago, xrvlcruiser said:

Or hopefully, that is only for the pre-paying passenger trips.

The simulated cruises will be short at the cruise lines direction.  The 7 nite limit is for  the restricted cruises after cruise lines get their conditional approval and extends for the length of the  order or November 1, 2021 which can be changed as situations change.

1 minute ago, xrvlcruiser said:

rallydave,

I guess what I'd like to know are the posted itineraries on the Splendor going to be followed when the ship begins to sail with paying passengers.

Peggy

Peggy,

I'll try to make an educated guess based on reading the latest CDC Order.  First of all the current order is written such that changes can easily be made.so assuming if the restart goes well the 7 day limit might be removed before the order ends in a year

Can't speak for specific ships, itineraries or cruise line decisions but, IMHO for at least several months all cruises out of US waters that are more than 7 nites will need to have their itineraries modified.  Not sure what Regent will do if they are able to sail cruises not within US waters.  Believe the 7 nite limit was put in place mainly because of all the 7 nite Caribbean cruises out of SE US and Mexican cruises out of the West Coast. 

The real answer to your exact question is known only to Regent as it depends on what Regent does with their ships to meet the CDC requirements or perhaps some won't be sailing in US waters so may not need to sail the simulated cruises and get their conditional approvals. 

Not much of an answer I know but, things are so fluid with unknown solutions.  Did see where RCG is looking for passengers for their simulated cruises.

rallydave,

In many ways, it would be easier for Regent to use one of the ships with no planned itineraries - the Mariner for example - but that depends on what needs to be done - physically - to the different ships. And what may or may not have been done on-board in the last few months.

As you said - Regent knows . . .

Simulated cruises: I assume that all the lines will want people. I've seen a couple of posting about people who'd like to volunteer.

5 minutes ago, xrvlcruiser said:

In many ways, it would be easier for Regent to use one of the ships with no planned itineraries - the Mariner for example

Think you are missing the fact per the current order that each ship has to do the simulated cruise(s) in order to get conditional approval for restricted cruises.

So using a ship that has no itineraries doesn't help getting the other ships approved.  Perhaps Regent is planning on starting with Mariner in order to get the processes and physical changes made and approved and then sailing 7 nite Caribbean cruises on Mariner to start the Regent cruising.  That matches what fdr said about starting with a single ship.  Mariner is the only Regent ship in the Western Hemisphere at this time so perhaps the other 4 ships will only do non US waters cruises for the foreseeable future and not have to do any simulated cruises or get conditional approval from CDC hoping that the order will end Nov 1, 2021 or sooner???

It is very strange that yours is the only cruise with the extra hotel days tacked on the end.  We are booked on the Splendor TA from Miami to Barcelona and then the RT Barcelona.  On neither of those sailings was an additional night in a hotel added to the end of the cruise.  The TA is waitlisted" that could mean it is "full" or it is being cancelled.  The RT Barcelona is not.  We need to pay our final payment in January in which case we well hopefully know what the final resolution is.

The Mariner is in Aruba and the other four ships are in Italy.

I remember FDR saying one ship would start - it makes sense with all the training etc which needs to take place. My point about a ship with an itinerary is that it takes more office time to change all of that and reschedule the new plans as opposed to a ship with no specific plans.

Who knows!

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting.  We are supposed to be on this cruise (my DH has always wanted to go on a Med cruise, and this one ticked ALL the boxes).  I somehow doubt it's happening, but we'll see.  Keeping our fingers crossed for a vaccine, lifting of travel restrictions, and all good things.