Buffet Fun Tips and Tricks

Prof Peg

On 1/13/2021 at 10:32 AM, kwokpot said:

Really? I find that hard to believe. If so, that would break all kinds of sanitary rules. 

Agreed.  Like taking veggies to the pizza place, bleh.  Dont handle someone's handles veggies then touch the pizza. Have you seen the hygiene habits of some cruisers?

• Like 1

On 1/18/2021 at 12:02 PM, Organized Chaos said:

On our last cruise (last Horizon cruise before the shutdown, so COVID was a concern), my wife saw a woman get her Guy's food, eat some fries, lick multiple fingers, then go to the condiments station and handle the utensils. With or without COVID, that's gross. Point being, I guarantee that happens all the time. I think someone taking a cup of sauce from the condiment station to the cook is the least of our worries.

Don't really want to get in the middle of this debate 🙂

But I think this might very well be the food handling violation.  So guest gets a cup of sauce, then licks fingers.  Now the cup is contaminated, then hands it to the cook.  Now the cook's hands are contaminated...

• Like 2

On 1/18/2021 at 3:02 PM, Organized Chaos said:

On our last cruise (last Horizon cruise before the shutdown, so COVID was a concern), my wife saw a woman get her Guy's food, eat some fries, lick multiple fingers, then go to the condiments station and handle the utensils. With or without COVID, that's gross. Point being, I guarantee that happens all the time. I think someone taking a cup of sauce from the condiment station to the cook is the least of our worries.

See, this is why I don't do buffets anywhere anymore if possible.  I see this so often and wonder what in the world this adult could be thinking.  

• Like 1

On 1/13/2021 at 11:54 AM, beef8066 said:

Hot chocolate with ice cream or mix a little coffee and hot chocolate for a mocha. 

Hot chocolate with coffee is what I was going to suggest, especially since the free coffee is kind of awful in my opinion.  

Edited by Silent Penguin
spelling
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Silent Penguin said:

Hot chocolate with coffee is what I was going to suggest, especially since the free coffee is kind of awful in my opinion.  

I take my coffee black and I'm here to tell ya the lido coffee could remove wallpaper. I mix the coffee half and half with hot water which makes it palatable. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/19/2021 at 3:58 PM, sid_9169 said:

Something tells me that if / when cruising does resume, most of these things won't be allowed anyway... One of my old favorites was bringing a bowl from the buffet, and taking it to Blue Iguana for a burrito bowl...

agreed.  The eateries on board will likely resemble a cross between a surgery prep room, decontamination chamber, and military zone for quite a while (just like land-based restaurants, at least here in wonderful New York State)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

I take my coffee black and I'm here to tell ya the lido coffee could remove wallpaper. I mix the coffee half and half with hot water which makes it palatable. 

Interesting comment on the Lido coffee.  My wife and I both think it is a little weak tasting.  I now instead go to one of the Cafes or Bars (e.g. Lobby Bar) with the espresso machines and order Americanos for our morning coffees.

1 hour ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Interesting comment on the Lido coffee.  My wife and I both think it is a little weak tasting.  I now instead go to one of the Cafes or Bars (e.g. Lobby Bar) with the espresso machines and order Americanos for our morning coffees.

We lived in Seattle for 24 years when Starbucks had one store. We like rich dark roast coffees and we still think the lido coffee is very strong. 

On 1/18/2021 at 7:40 AM, SNJCruisers said:

There is no cooking involved.  The guy is pouring the sauce into a burrito.  Explain to me what is the difference between me pouring the sauce over the outside of the burrito and him pouring the sauce inside the burrito as it is being assembled?

Simple, you touched it. The cooks would need to throw away their gloves, wash hands, and get new ones for every item handed to them by passenger(s). Would you want them touching your food after touching a cup that was just handed over barehanded by every passenger(s)? I certainly wouldn't. Some people don't even wash their hands after using the restroom, scratching themselves/head, picking/digging, or just touching handrails etc. It's actually a bit nauseating thinking about all the potential contamination(s) that are possible from introducing items from guests into a clean line. No way should this be happening. Feel free to add your own stuff after but cooks should not be introducing contaminated items from germ handed passengers.  

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 4

On 1/20/2021 at 11:12 AM, Rollin Tide said:

See, this is why I don't do buffets anywhere anymore if possible.  I see this so often and wonder what in the world this adult could be thinking.  

I can solve this one!  That adult is thinking only of themself, no one else in the world   🤪  😆

• Like 3