Viking Expeditions Thread

emileg

1 hour ago, emileg said:

Check this website. It will show you the Octantis approaching Montevideo.  I am not quite sure why Marine Traffic indicates that vessel is out of range.

https://www.cruisemapper.com/?imo=9863194

The MarineTraffic only use shore earth stations for providing ship positions, if you only have the basic (free) version. It also shows all ship AIS signals from the satellites, but doesn't provide details, unless you pay a monthly fee.

CruiseMapper is showing 1 actual position per day and then computes a DR position, based on the ship's course & speed. While CruiseMapper may show a position, there is no guarantee it is accurate.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

The MarineTraffic only use shore earth stations for providing ship positions, if you only have the basic (free) version. It also shows all ship AIS signals from the satellites, but doesn't provide details, unless you pay a monthly fee.

CruiseMapper is showing 1 actual position per day and then computes a DR position, based on the ship's course & speed. While CruiseMapper may show a position, there is no guarantee it is accurate.

Thank you. Suspected it might be do to free aspect of service. 

2 hours ago, Helenct said:

Thank you. Suspected it might be do to free aspect of service. 

I also don't pay for the premium service.

All cruise ships are blue, so based on the last known position, look ahead and you can often identify where the ship is. Just don't get course & speed, but at least the position is accurate.

I checked MarineTraffic for cruise ships and the only one I can see is stopped off Sap Paulo with a tug in attendance. No cruise ships down where Cruisemapper shows her, unless the AIS is malfunctioning.

Will check again tomorrow.

Edited by Heidi13

On 1/8/2022 at 7:45 PM, emileg said:

We were supposed to be on the January 12 cruise that was cancelled. I figured there would be a number of guests on the way down, like a soft opening of a store. I imagine you are in the travel industry. Please enjoy and report back to us, especially on whether boot sizing is accurate. Thanks.

Yes something like that. It is a fantastic opportunity!

Please do let me know if there is any information you would like about the ship such as photos/general review.

I should be in antarctica this time next week!

• Like 2

Hello Hazzard10,

Welcome to the board and thank you for your generous offer of updated information on Viking Octantis. I am sure that I am not alone in being keen to see some real photos of the ship's interior to compare to the artists impressions that have already been published. Any additional views that you can post will be very much appreciated.

One particular question though........

I see there are large windows to each side of the bow, not far above the waterline. These seem to correspond with an area called "The Hide" However I have not seen any mention of this area in the descriptions of facilities on board. It is also something of a mystery as to how it is accessed as no stairwell or corridor is shown heading into that part of the ship on the deck plan. So how do you get there and what the heck is in there when you do???

Have a wonderful trip and I very much look forward to seeing more from you as time goes on.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, photopro2 said:

Hello Hazzard10,

Welcome to the board and thank you for your generous offer of updated information on Viking Octantis. I am sure that I am not alone in being keen to see some real photos of the ship's interior to compare to the artists impressions that have already been published. Any additional views that you can post will be very much appreciated.

One particular question though........

I see there are large windows to each side of the bow, not far above the waterline. These seem to correspond with an area called "The Hide" However I have not seen any mention of this area in the descriptions of facilities on board. It is also something of a mystery as to how it is accessed as no stairwell or corridor is shown heading into that part of the ship on the deck plan. So how do you get there and what the heck is in there when you do???

Have a wonderful trip and I very much look forward to seeing more from you as time goes on.

I have been thinking the same thing about the Hide for over a year. But, as I like a mystery, it might be fun to wait until we are on the ship. Otherwise, I suggest earlier cruisers on the Octantis post a "Spoiler Alert" before mentioning what the Hide is about.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, emileg said:

I have been thinking the same thing about the Hide for over a year. But, as I like a mystery, it might be fun to wait until we are on the ship. Otherwise, I suggest earlier cruisers on the Octantis post a "Spoiler Alert" before mentioning what the Hide is about.

Just read on the Cruise mapper site that The Hide is one of three wildlife viewing areas (www.cruisemapper.com/deckplans/Viking-Octantis-1805).  The other two are called The Shelter and The Bow. 

Edited by CharTrav

@Hazard10 2nd try to post this message. Given that you are onboard the Octantis - could you tell us about its covid protocols? Onboard lab to process daily spit tests like they're doing on their Ocean ships? Don't know what happened to my earlier post. So am trying again. 

On 1/8/2022 at 11:36 AM, Hazard10 said:

Thanks Emileg!

I am on the cruise before the first public expedition on the 23rd Jan.

I do not think there is a roll call for that.

Hope you enjoy your trip when the time comes.

We're on the Jan 23rd cruise (roll call //boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2787200-viking-antarctic-octantis-january-23-2022-roll-call/).  We're curious - what is the cruise before the first public one?  A shakedown cruise?  Or a replacement for the cancelled inaugural cruise?  Have a great time and let us know about your experience! 

5 minutes ago, brosen1 said:

We're on the Jan 23rd cruise (roll call //boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2787200-viking-antarctic-octantis-january-23-2022-roll-call/).  We're curious - what is the cruise before the first public one?  A shakedown cruise?  Or a replacement for the cancelled inaugural cruise?  Have a great time and let us know about your experience! 

Yes, it is a shakedown cruise. I discovered that when providing my clothing sizes for parka, pants and boots. It lists the Antarctic sailing dates plus the shakedown cruise without a specific date. I think you will still have the honor of the inaugural cruise.

BTW, all of a sudden, your Jan 23 sailing is now showing sold out. There were quite a few cabins available yesterday.

1 hour ago, brosen1 said:

Possibilities:  1) someone bought out the ship; 2) they want to limit the number of passengers; 3) it's being cancelled; 4) none of the above

1 hour ago, brosen1 said:

Or they just want you to call:

image.png.df3efc01f8d02e164a62ba9544e94b58.png

Well, the good news is that you have less than two weeks to go. I like possibilities # 2 and # 4. We leave for B.A. four weeks from Friday. Fingers crossed.

14 hours ago, emileg said:

I suggest earlier cruisers on the Octantis post a "Spoiler Alert" before mentioning what the Hide is about.

As it happens my DW said exactly the same thing about spoilers 😁 

I guess I am just one of those curious souls who wants to know everything there is to know about something that I'm interested in.

Maybe Hazard10 could start a new thread called "Explorer ships - warning spoilers" or something similar? In any case I expect that the press will soon be let loose on board the ship and whatever secrets are "hiding" down there will be revealed!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, emileg said:

BTW, all of a sudden, your Jan 23 sailing is now showing sold out. There were quite a few cabins available yesterday.

No need to worry about this. It is standard practice on VO to change the online status to "sold out" a few weeks before the sailing, even if it is going ahead as normal.

I have always assumed that this coincides with the point where Viking considers it impractical to make all the relevant arrangements for any new bookings. The note about making late bookings through an agent by phone reinforces this idea because it allows them to make the judgement call as to the practicalities of squeezing someone on last minute.

Edited by photopro2
omitted word
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Hazard10 said:

Yes something like that. It is a fantastic opportunity!

Please do let me know if there is any information you would like about the ship such as photos/general review.

I should be in antarctica this time next week!

• Like 1

So exciting and any/all photos will be gladly received.   We depart for BA on 1/21 independently.  Challenged with getting PCR test results in timely fashion & now have backup for testing at Atlanta Hartsfield w quick turn around between flights. Most likely rapid pcr but just in case our CT labs can not deliver within time constraints. 

20 hours ago, emileg said:

Careful! Already posted!

Sorry to report we cancelled our February Antarctica Explorer cruise after having booked it almost two years ago.  We were planning the Easter Island pre-cruise extension. So for a testing schedule picture this.

PCR test 48 hours prior to boarding plane for Chile.  Another PCR upon arrival in Santiago.  Another PCR to go to Easter Island.  Another PCR to return to Santiago.  Another PCR upon arrival in Buenos Aires.  One more PCR in Ushuaia. Daily testing on the ship.  What would one calculate the probability of a positive test  some where along the way that would ruin our very expensive but much anticipated trip?  We do a little gambling but these odds were just too much for us.  This does not even factor in the absolute anxiety of the next test turning positive.  For these reasons we cancelled and booked again for January 2023.  We really hope all of you going on the cruise stay safe and healthy and have an absolutely wonderful time.  We look forward to pictures and reviews so we can learn anything for 2023.  Safe travels!

3 hours ago, RestonCruiser said:

Sorry to report we cancelled our February Antarctica Explorer cruise after having booked it almost two years ago.  We were planning the Easter Island pre-cruise extension. So for a testing schedule picture this.

PCR test 48 hours prior to boarding plane for Chile.  Another PCR upon arrival in Santiago.  Another PCR to go to Easter Island.  Another PCR to return to Santiago.  Another PCR upon arrival in Buenos Aires.  One more PCR in Ushuaia. Daily testing on the ship.  What would one calculate the probability of a positive test  some where along the way that would ruin our very expensive but much anticipated trip?  We do a little gambling but these odds were just too much for us.  This does not even factor in the absolute anxiety of the next test turning positive.  For these reasons we cancelled and booked again for January 2023.  We really hope all of you going on the cruise stay safe and healthy and have an absolutely wonderful time.  We look forward to pictures and reviews so we can learn anything for 2023.  Safe travels!

We discussed at dinner tonight similar concerns and fears. However, we don't have all the pre-cruise excursions that you have. We are already booked Viking for Egypt for 2023. If we wait until 2024, we may well have aged out of going to Antarctica by then. In the meanwhile, we are limiting our exposure. When we get to Buenos Aires, we will only eat outdoors. Yes, it is summer there.

Nevertheless, we wish you the very best. We know how disappointed you must feel, as we already having six cruises cancelled during the pandemic, half of which were rescheduled from other cancelled cruise. Happy sailing to all of us going forward.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RestonCruiser said:

Totally understand.  Hope you will get to go in a year.  My bet is Mr Corona will still be around.... but maybe not as bad.

A bit of optimism for our Antarctic bound members this month and next. I took this screenshot from Marine Traffic satellite version today, covering Ushuaia to Antarctica. The blue vessels carry passengers and many of them are expeditions ships.

E05C3F9A-9255-4AA0-9C5B-935A8DE25316_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.e52a7771161cc78e3eedb530448289be.jpeg

• Like 1

We are booked on the Octantis to  Antarctica, etc starting March 8.  We just received the following email from Viking:    

14JAN2022

Dear Viking Guest,

Thank you for choosing Viking for your upcoming voyage. At this time, we would like to take a moment to advise you of a modification to your itinerary.

We had hoped that by now, travel restrictions would have eased in all the destinations we planned to visit. However, the impacts of COVID continue to make international and cruise ship travel particularly complicated. Unfortunately, current conditions prevent us from calling in Brazil as planned on your Antarctica & the Americas Sojourn voyage. Therefore, we must modify your itinerary. We recognize that this is disappointing news, and we sincerely apologize.

Despite these changes, we are confident you will enjoy your time with us as planned. The first leg of your revised itinerary now features four additional days to explore Antarctica and an extra day and additional ports in the Falkland Islands. The second leg of your journey now includes three days in Buenos Aires, Argentina, more sea days to enjoy your beautiful ship, Viking Octantis and an additional day in Bridgetown.The final leg of your voyage is unchanged. Your revised itinerary is below. Please note, there will be no changes required to your air or any pre- or post-cruise extensions.

Date

Original Itinerary

Revised Itinerary

March 08, 2022-
March 13, 2022

No change in itinerary

March 14, 2022

Sail Drake Passage

Explore Antarctica

March 15, 2022

Port Stanley, Falkland Islands

Explore Antarctica

March 16, 2022

Explore Antarctica

March 17, 2022

Sail the Atlantic Ocean

Explore Antarctica

March 18, 2022

Sail the Atlantic Ocean

Sail Drake Passage

March 19, 2022

Montevideo, Uruguay

March 20, 2022

Buenos Aires, Argentina

New Island, Falkland Islands

March 21, 2022

Buenos Aires, Argentina

West Point Island, Falkland Islands

March 22, 2022

Sail the Atlantic Ocean

Sail the Atlantic Ocean

March 23, 2022

Sail the Atlantic Ocean

Sail the Atlantic Ocean

March 24, 2022

Paranagua, Uruguay

Montevideo, Uruguay

March 25, 2022

Rio de Janerio, Brazil

Buenos Aires, Argentina

March 26, 2022

Rio de Janerio, Brazil

Buenos Aires, Argentina

March 27, 2022

Rio de Janeiro

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Maryc 28, 2002

Armacao dos Buzios,

Montevideo, Uruguay

March 29, 2002

Sail the Atlantic Ocean

Cruise the Atlantic Ocean

March 30, 2022

Salvador de Bahia

March 31, 2022

Sail the Atlantic Ocean

Aoril 1, 2022

Recife, Brazil

Spril 2, 2022

Sail the Atlantic Ocean

April 3, 2022

Sail the Atlantic Ocean

April 4, 2022

Belem, Brazil

April 5,20222

Belem, Brazil

April 6, 2022

Sail the Atlantic Ocean

April 7, 2022

French Guiana (Iles du Salut), France

April 8, 2022

Sail the Atlantic Ocean

Bridgetown, Barbados

April 9, 2022

Bridgetown, Barbados

Bridgetown, Barbados

April 10 –
April 18

No change in itinerary

As a token of our appreciation for your understanding, we have provided free economy air accommodations. We have also added a $1,000 per guest shipboard credit to your account for this voyage. This credit can be applied toward optional shore excursions, onboard services or used to purchase a Silver Spirits Beverage Package.

If you have booked any of the following extensions: Gateway to Patagonia or Atacama Desert, it has been canceled and will be refunded to your original form of payment within the next 21 business days.

The itinerary, your new flight arrangements and extension programs will be available in MyVikingJourney.com. If your new travel arrangements are acceptable, there is no further action to confirm its acceptance. However, if you prefer an alternative journey, please contact Viking or your Travel Advisor by January 24, 2022.

Should you have any questions regarding this update before your departure, please contact your Travel Agent or Viking at 1-855-300-3970, Sunday - Saturday, 5:00 AM to 7:00 PM, PT.

We look forward to welcoming you on board and wish you a wonderful journey.

Sincerely,

Viking Cruises

Richard Marnell
Executive Vice President, Marketing

We lose 9 days in Brazil which for us is a high point and a significant loss to our journey.  We also lose our visit to French Guiana which is a high point because that's where the James Webb telescope was launched recently.   The offer of free economy air doesn't help us all at because we paid extra for premium economy and they're not refunding any of that.  A $2000 credit doesn't make up for the loss of Brazil.   We are  concerned and we're discussing what to do.  

Anyone else questioning these itinerary changes?     Trip leaves in 7 weeks and we're very concerned about the changes.    Fran