Viking Expeditions Thread

emileg

10 hours ago, Oh2Bcruisin said:

Looks like the Octantis is just doing some shakedown cruises. Marine traffic shows her returning to Sovik on December 28th. 

57EAA8E0-1A5C-4670-B4E4-6CBB56DA9A8E.jpeg

You wouldn't want her NOT to do some shakedown cruises before she takes on paying passengers, would you?   This is good news indeed for those who are scheduled to do Antarctica next month.  My SIL&BIL are heading down to BA next week to do Antarctica with a different cruise operator.  They are still holding their breath until they actually board their ship.

4 minutes ago, CharTrav said:

You wouldn't want her NOT to do some shakedown cruises before she takes on paying passengers, would you?   This is good news indeed for those who are scheduled to do Antarctica next month.  My SIL&BIL are heading down to BA next week to do Antarctica with a different cruise operator.  They are still holding their breath until they actually board their ship.

It turns out they were not heading back to Sovik. The destination was not updated on Marine Traffic when I looked at it. It later changed  to Portugal. BTW, I never implied a shakedown cruise was a bad thing. Being a test engineer I know how important it is to ensure everything is working correctly. 

49 minutes ago, Oh2Bcruisin said:

BTW, I never implied a shakedown cruise was a bad thing. Being a test engineer I know how important it is to ensure everything is working correctly. 

Sorry. Don't know what got into me. Must have been a terrible gremlin sitting on my shoulder. 😔

Am I forgiven?

36 minutes ago, CharTrav said:

Sorry. Don't know what got into me. Must have been a terrible gremlin sitting on my shoulder. 😔

Am I forgiven?

Of course you’re forgiven. Just don’t feed the gremlin after dark. Happy Holidays and hope you have a cruise planned sometime soon. 

38 minutes ago, Oh2Bcruisin said:

Of course you’re forgiven. Just don’t feed the gremlin after dark. Happy Holidays and hope you have a cruise planned sometime soon. 

thanks. I'll enlist the bravest of my two fur babies to scare it away.  and happy holidays to you! looking forward to singing at our Christmas Eve service tomorrow evening. Have 4 cruises planned over the next 2 yrs with the first one next May in the Med. 

• Like 1

I am having some trouble with the boot sizing chart that Viking supplies. My foot length is 10.6 inches, which would be an M8 on this chart. I take a U.S. 10.5 size shoe (UK 9.5, EU 44 right from the label). There are many common maller sizes than mine, down usually to a U.S. 7 or 8. I know shoe and boot sizes are not the same. I am not sure if this chart is accurate. Any input from others would be appreciated. Thanks.

MEN'S BOOT SIZE CHART
SIZE (WIDE CALF) EU SIZE INCHES CM
M8 40 10.6 26.87
M9 41 10.9 27.72
M10 42 11.2 28.57
M11 43 11.6 29.41
M12 44 11.9 30.26
M13 45 12.2 31.1
M14 46 12.6 31.95
M15 47 12.9 32.7
M16 48 13.1 33.34
M17 49 13.3 33.92
M18 50 13.5 34.37

WOMEN'S BOOT SIZE CHART
W5 36 9.25 23.49
W6 37 9.6 24.34
W7 38 9.9 25.18
W8 39 10.2 26.03
W9 40 10.6 26.87
W10 41 10.9 27.72
W11 42 11.2 28.87

TIPS: 

• Check Size Chart before ordering as boot sizing is different to shoe/sneaker sizing. 
  • To determine your boot size, place your heel against the wall, then measure from the back of your heel to your longest toe. That determines your innersole length.
  • Boots don't come in half sizes so, if needed, size up and wear two pairs of socks. 
  • For those outside this size range, please contact Customer Service for assistance.

2 hours ago, emileg said:

I am having some trouble with the boot sizing chart that Viking supplies. My foot length is 10.6 inches, which would be an M8 on this chart. I take a U.S. 10.5 size shoe (UK 9.5, EU 44 right from the label). There are many common maller sizes than mine, down usually to a U.S. 7 or 8. I know shoe and boot sizes are not the same. I am not sure if this chart is accurate. Any input from others would be appreciated. Thanks.

MEN'S BOOT SIZE CHART
M8 40 10.6 26.87
M9 41 10.9 27.72
M10 42 11.2 28.57
M11 43 11.6 29.41
M12 44 11.9 30.26
M13 45 12.2 31.1
M14 46 12.6 31.95
M15 47 12.9 32.7
M16 48 13.1 33.34
M17 49 13.3 33.92
M18 50 13.5 34.37

WOMEN'S BOOT SIZE CHART
W5 36 9.25 23.49
W6 37 9.6 24.34
W7 38 9.9 25.18
W8 39 10.2 26.03
W9 40 10.6 26.87
W10 41 10.9 27.72
W11 42 11.2 28.87

TIPS: 

• Check Size Chart before ordering as boot sizing is different to shoe/sneaker sizing. 
  • To determine your boot size, place your heel against the wall, then measure from the back of your heel to your longest toe. That determines your innersole length.
  • Boots don't come in half sizes so, if needed, size up and wear two pairs of socks. 
  • For those outside this size range, please contact Customer Service for assistance.

This might help:

https://www.candefashions.com/about/shoe-size-conversion-chart/

or this:

https://www.famousfootwear.com/shoe-size-charts

Edited by 1985rz1

1 hour ago, 1985rz1 said:

Thank you for the links. I already know my shoe size in US, UK and EU as well as the length of my foot, which is consistent with the shoe sizes. The problem is I don't know if an M8 is really the right size for my foot because it is the smallest size and there are many foot sizes smaller than mine. I guess I could order the M8. If it is too small, I guess I could get the cabin steward to exchange it.

30 minutes ago, emileg said:

Thank you for the links. I already know my shoe size in US, UK and EU as well as the length of my foot, which is consistent with the shoe sizes. The problem is I don't know if an M8 is really the right size for my foot because it is the smallest size and there are many foot sizes smaller than mine. I guess I could order the M8. If it is too small, I guess I could get the cabin steward to exchange it.

What I read is that other sizes are available, if you contact them, but that they don't normally stock those outside the range shown.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, emileg said:

are you using for reference your shoe size or boot size? would recommend checking out the size of your snowboots if you have a pair. from what I know there are really three different types of shoe sizes - dress, sport and boots in ascending order of sizes. Measure your foot length wearing the kind of socks you'll be wearing with boots.  If you already know this then forgive me. 

Edited by CharTrav
  • Like 2

Since I am not allowed by Cruise Critic to post a link to the largest social media site, I have copied some images recently posted there on December 24.

The brand new Viking Octantis was delivered on December 22, 2021 at Fincantieri’s VARD shipyard in Søviknes, Norway. A joyous occasion for everyone in the Viking Family, particularly for the crew of Viking Octantis.

Waving hello from the bow, crew members, executives and members of the Viking Expedition Team commemorate this memorable moment in Viking’s history.

Inside The Hangar, Chairman Torstein and Viking EVP Karine observe the rollout of our 12-seater convertible Special Operations Boats, built for exploration.

Chairman Torstein Hagen inspects the innovative navigational tools on the Captain’s Bridge.

And there the Octantis departs Norway for the voyage to Ushuaia:

Viking Octantis sets sail from Norway, bound for Ushuaia, Argentina, where she will greet guests for a maiden voyage to Antarctica.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 12/22/2021 at 11:45 AM, emileg said:

No problem. We all have to go through a rather steep learning curve. You're doing fine.  Have you found your roll call? When you do, introduce yourself with your first names and where you are from.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/2486-viking-octantis-roll-calls/

Thank you! Will do that…

Sorry if this has already been discussed.  I can't find a thread regarding it, but if so, please excuse this query.

My wife and I are booked on the Antarctic Explorer cruise on January 24, 2022.  We received an email regarding ordering boots, parkas, and pants.  We took measurements as the charts suggested and to be frank, none of our measurements compared to the charts make any sense.  I have talked to both the supplier and viking about this and they both said to use the sizing charts as listed.  The supplier said that they are only supplying the clothing but they have been told by Viking to use the sizing charts.  She also said that she has had the same questions numerous times.  Viking said the same thing.  As I pointed out to both of them:  What happens if we get to Antartica and nothing fits.  They both said there would be extras on board if that becomes an issue.  I sure hope they're right.  Just wondering if anyone else has this same issue and what they have been told.

Also, there is a Viking Essentials Antartica Package offered.  Has anyone ordered this and how necessary is it.  Can you obtain these items elsewhere, Amazon, for instance, or do you need to order from the website supplied by Viking?

Any help in these issues will be appreciated.  Really looking forward to this cruise, just don't want to get there and be stuck on the boat.

1 hour ago, rrgator said:

Sorry if this has already been discussed.  I can't find a thread regarding it, but if so, please excuse this query.

My wife and I are booked on the Antarctic Explorer cruise on January 24, 2022.  We received an email regarding ordering boots, parkas, and pants.  We took measurements as the charts suggested and to be frank, none of our measurements compared to the charts make any sense.  I have talked to both the supplier and viking about this and they both said to use the sizing charts as listed.  The supplier said that they are only supplying the clothing but they have been told by Viking to use the sizing charts.  She also said that she has had the same questions numerous times.  Viking said the same thing.  As I pointed out to both of them:  What happens if we get to Antartica and nothing fits.  They both said there would be extras on board if that becomes an issue.  I sure hope they're right.  Just wondering if anyone else has this same issue and what they have been told.

Also, there is a Viking Essentials Antartica Package offered.  Has anyone ordered this and how necessary is it.  Can you obtain these items elsewhere, Amazon, for instance, or do you need to order from the website supplied by Viking?

Any help in these issues will be appreciated.  Really looking forward to this cruise, just don't want to get there and be stuck on the boat.

Yes. See post 284. I went to REI today to get a boot measurement, which was about a half-size greater than my shoe. Forget inches, but if my European size is 44, I would be an M12, not M8. I guess I will order the M8 for my 10-1/2 inch foot, but I too suspect it will be way too small, especially with the thick REI expedition socks I bought. However, maybe the boots are sized very large and you received correct answers.

Thank you so much for making the two inquiries.

Edited by emileg

Recently booked Undiscovered Great Lakes on Viking Octantis for 26 May 2023 Thunder Bay to Milwaukee.  Very long way off; can’t believe final payment is due 31 March 2022, 14 months in advance.  Booked Nordic Balcony (N1).  Expensive summa cum laude — single supplement makes the Expedition almost twice the price as for a couple sharing a cabin (will pay by E-check to somewhat reduce the cost).  But am not complaining — really looking forward to the unique itinerary.  Could have gotten a Great Lakes cruise for cheaper with another company.  A previous cruise with American Cruise Lines (ACL) would have entitled me to a discount with ACL-owned Pearl Mist Cruises, which offers Great Lakes cruises, but none that focuses almost exclusively on Lake Superior.  Also considered the 16-day Lakeside Treasures cruise with American Queen Voyages, which goes to Duluth, Thunder Bay, and Sault Ste. Marie, but otherwise spends 4 full days at sea and covers destinations I’ve already been (Chicago and Mackinac Island).  Also didn’t like the idea of no balcony, or at best, in Category AA, cabin access to a promenade deck instead of a private balcony.  Plus Viking has a better choice of dates to choose from.  So Viking wins by default.  Not only does it have the itinerary I am looking for, but it ends in Milwaukee where I can spend a couple extra days to visit the art museum and the aquarium (after all, I’m Globalfish). 😀

• Like 1

]

3 minutes ago, May B said:

Hi Globalfish. It’s nice to have choices, isn’t it?

I also thought the final payment thing was ridiculous. You can actually sometimes get it extended, by booking another cruise on Viking. 

Yes, I think that Viking will do a more professional job in the dining and kitchen department than either ACL (based on personal experience) and AQV based on what I’ve been reading in the board devoted to them on this website.

But let’s see how this Great Lakes cruise works out before I book another Viking cruise.  I took a Viking River Cruise in Ukraine a few years back (when the Crimea was still part of Ukraine) and wasn’t happy with it.  The tour director was burned out (I didn’t dare approach her when she was standing on an outside deck away from it all smoking a cigarette) and I was given a headset (“whispers”) in Sevastopol that didn’t work and they had no replacements.  I had to stand next to the guide all afternoon so that I could hear her.  There were also 50 people on my excursion bus, which was like being on a large group tour.

On 12/27/2021 at 4:15 PM, rrgator said:

Any chance you could post the sizing charts for the parkas and pants?  thank you!

Fyi to all of you who are booked on a specific VE cruise, in addition to this thread strongly recommend that you find or create a roll call for your specific cruise. I believe @emileg recommended the same. Let me reiterate what he said. For ex I created a roll call for the 16Aug22 sailing of Arctic Adventure. Even tho it's been ...to date...pretty quiet I fully expect it'll get more active this Spring 

Edited by CharTrav
  • Like 1