Passport Question

habita

20 hours ago, njhorseman said:

It's not just in California. No REAL ID license serves as proof of citizenship. They serve as proof of identity and residence only. Enhanced Drivers Licenses, which are issued by only a handful of states bordering Canada, as well as a couple of Canadian provinces, serve as proof of identity and citizenship.

Right, so to answer the OP's question directly, no, you cannot cruise with just a Real ID.  You need a Real ID and birth certificate.

Yes, you can. A real ID isn't required for domestic flights until October 2021 (it was pushed back a year), at that time it will work for air travel and nearly every CA cruise that begins and ends in the USA. I just got mine yesterday in fact. Quick and easy $38. Nearly every cruise in CA (and the vast majority in the USA in fact) will be perfectly fine with a ID and birth certificate. People will give you "what if" scenarios but that is what we have consulates/embassy's for. On the very slim chance that something happens, they can grant you and emergency passport very quickly. The cruise lines also have local ambassadors at each port for just these situations. I would have zero qualms about cruising with only a ID and birth certificate. It's not worth it for many people who won't frequently use it or have large families that increase costs exponentially. We can take an entire cruise for what it costs us. Have a great trip!       

Edited by cruisingguy007

3 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Yes, you can. A real ID isn't required for domestic flights until October 2021 (it was pushed back a year), at that time it will work for air travel and nearly every CA cruise that begins and ends in the USA. I just got mine yesterday in fact. Quick and easy $38. Nearly every cruise in CA (and the vast majority in the USA in fact) will be perfectly fine with a ID and birth certificate. People will give you "what if" scenarios but that is what we have consulates/embassy's for. On the very slim chance that something happens, they can grant you and emergency passport very quickly. The cruise lines also have local ambassadors at each port for just these situations. I would have zero qualms about cruising with only a ID and birth certificate. It's not worth it for many people who won't frequently use it or have large families that increase costs exponentially. We can take an entire cruise for what it costs us. Have a great trip!       

No, the OP can't  do what he/she asked. You apparently didn't read the OP's question correctly...here's exactly what they said " My passport has expired,and I am wondering if I can go on Round trip LA to Hawaii with just a real California ID.

They didn't ask about using a REAL ID license and a birth certificate, they asked about about using just a REAL ID license.

46 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

No, the OP can't  do what he/she asked. You apparently didn't read the OP's question correctly...here's exactly what they said " My passport has expired,and I am wondering if I can go on Round trip LA to Hawaii with just a real California ID.

They didn't ask about using a REAL ID license and a birth certificate, they asked about about using just a REAL ID license.

Well seeing as how you can't get your Real ID without a long form birth certificate, your attempt at semantics are moot.  

Edited by cruisingguy007

1 hour ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Well seeing as how you can't get your Real ID without a long form birth certificate, your attempt at semantics are moot.  

Not moot at all. They have to bring the birth certificate. The way the post reads OP was saying that because they had a Real ID license that was all they thought they needed. They made no mention of birth certificate. Why did they say their license was real? This has come up before. People confuse Real ID with an EDL. With an Enhanced Drivers License they would not have to bring the birth certificate.If they have a California drivers licence it may be a Real ID but not an EDL.

Edited by Charles4515
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Not moot at all. They have to bring the birth certificate. The way the post reads OP was saying that because they had a Real ID license that was all they thought they needed. They made no mention of birth certificate. Why did they say their license was real? This has come up before. People confuse Real ID with an EDL. With an Enhanced Drivers License they would not have to bring the birth certificate.If they have a California drivers licence it may be a Real ID but not an EDL.

It's obvious semantics. If one already has a Real ID then they have to have a birth certificate. It's a chicken/egg situation. It's required to get a Real ID in California. In fact, you need more documents than even getting a passport. If he/she has a Real ID, they obviously have a birth certificate. 

8 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

It's obvious semantics. If one already has a Real ID then they have to have a birth certificate. It's a chicken/egg situation. It's required to get a Real ID in California. In fact, you need more documents than even getting a passport. If he/she has a Real ID, they obviously have a birth certificate. 

They don't have to have a birth certificate.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/driver-licenses-identification-cards/real-id/how-do-i-get-a-real-id/real-id-checklist/#gf_6

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

Besides not having to present a birth certificate to get the REAL ID license the even more important point in answering the OP's question is that the REAL ID license is insufficient in and of itself to board the cruise. Department of Homeland Security rules require the presentation of proof of US citizenship, such as a birth certificate, in addition to the REAL ID license in order to embark.

Having a REAL ID license is NOT proof of US citizenship.  A lawful permanent resident (green card holder) is also eligible to receive a REAL ID license, as is someone having temporary protective status (that's the reference to TPS benefit eligibility in the last bullet point on the document cited by Charles4515) . Lawful permanent residents and those with TPS are not US citizens.

Edited by njhorseman

17 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

While they may have shown their birth certificate to get their real id, they do need to show it to get on the ship — which is kind of the point of this discussion.  Owning it is not the point —- showing it is.

Edited by navybankerteacher
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

While they may have shown their birth certificate to get their real id, they do need to show it to get on the ship — which is kind of the point of this discussion.  Owning it is not the point —- showing it is.

They may not need to show their birth certificate to get their Real ID.  That they do have to show a  birth certificate to get on the ship is the point. A Real ID license is not enough.

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

They may not need to show their birth certificate to get their Real ID.  That they do have to show a  birth certificate to get on the ship is the point. A Real ID license is not enough.

Driver's licenses come in several flavors [New York State example]

• The enhanced' driver's license shows proof of New York State residence and US citizenship. Either a passport, or the same documentation needed to obtain a passport is required. It is supposed to have the same utility as a Passport Card for land border crossings.
  • The real id drivers license shows proof of residence - not proof of citizenship, as green card holders and other lawful residents [e.g. H1B visa holders] can get them with proper documentation.
  • The standard drivers license shows that someone paid a fee. They present no proof of either citizenship or lawful residence. They are available to anyone, including illegal aliens, without any verifiable documentation.

Mrs Bear has a real id license, I have an enhanced license. For US Citizens the paperwork seemed identical [we each used out passport book as one of the required forms of id] when renewing our licenses. I don't think I will bother to pay the premium over 'real id' to get 'enhanced' next time.