Self Disembarkation With LAX Flight

brenton

59 minutes ago, nocl said:

closed loop cruises usually clear pretty quickly.  Ships coming in on one way cruises that originate in a foreign port (trans-pacific for example) seem to take quite a while.

Being USA citizens it’s been a quick process for us through CBP for roundtrip LA cruises. Although I think ‘rdsgrl’ is Canadian so that might be the reason for having a different experience.

When arriving from Buenos Aires in LA our processing was quick however our Aussie friends weren’t done until after noon. That delay resulted in giving them a shorter tour around LA before their late night flight to Sydney.

2 hours ago, nocl said:

closed loop cruises usually clear pretty quickly.  Ships coming in on one way cruises that originate in a foreign port (trans-pacific for example) seem to take quite a while.

1 hour ago, Astro Flyer said:

Being USA citizens it’s been a quick process for us through CBP for roundtrip LA cruises. Although I think ‘rdsgrl’ is Canadian so that might be the reason for having a different experience.

When arriving from Buenos Aires in LA our processing was quick however our Aussie friends weren’t done until after noon. That delay resulted in giving them a shorter tour around LA before their late night flight to Sydney.

Do you think having Global Entry helps there?

3 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

In this CC article dated 1/8/20 it stated that only Port Everglades has Global Entry which I haven’t purchased.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2710#:~:text=However%2C at the time of publication%2C Port Everglades,cruise ship at the start of your vacation.

2 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

In this CC article dated 1/8/20 it stated that only Port Everglades has Global Entry which I haven’t purchased.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2710#:~:text=However%2C at the time of publication%2C Port Everglades,cruise ship at the start of your vacation.

PE may have been approved for Global Entry, but they didn't have the kiosks, there was a separate line for Global Entry PAX.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

I have used Global entry in Ft Lauderdale and a number of air ports, but from what I recall they were not using Global entry in San Pedro when we were last there (got off the Royal Princess on March 7, 2020)

I am not one to use Princess excursions for anything that I can do on my own.  That being said, when we did this cruise, we used their transfers and I highly recommend doing it.  We had a flight about the same time you are looking at and had plenty of time to make it.  They checked us in and got us boarding passes the night before we got to port.  We disembarked ourselves mainly to keep an eye on our luggage and did get a porter.  The porter had us in a quicker line from the others.  I don't know if it was dedicated to them or what but I can tell you it was a seamless transfer.

A side note is when I booked it pre-cruise, and gave them my air information, they told us that the flight departure time had been changed which I was completely unaware of since I got no notice from the airline. It wasn't a major change in time, just a little later.   However, our travelling companions who I was attempting to book, also, had had their flight cancelled and had not been told.  Fortunately, it was still far enough out that they could rebook another flight which they did.  She eventually did get a call a  from the airline telling her that the flight had been cancelled.

Yikes, we have come in late in to Los Angeles several times.  One time it was not until 1:00 in the afternoon, two times it was around 8:00am.  You never know what could happen, the 1:00 in the afternoon return was due to a staff member jumping off the ship in the middle of the night.  The ship circled around for hours. If your cruise returns on a weekday, it could take you 2 hours to go 5 miles.  I would definitely try and fly out of Long Beach.  We always book our flight home after 6:00pm or the next day.  

On 3/7/2021 at 12:42 PM, Astro Flyer said:

................. In these uncertain times for travel I would initially book Princess Flexible EZair & their shuttle to LAX. .............

Hope that whatever you decide is your best option that everything goes smoothly. 🙂

I second that. I'd rather pay a premium than miss my flight <or cruise> and have the hassle of making independent arrangements. Plus EZFare flights can always be changed or even cancelled without cost (within the appropriate time) should "times become" less uncertain. For our Dec 2021 cruise I booked EZFare the first day I could.....330 days prior to the day the cruise ended. Who knows if that cruise will even happen; but having everything through Princess takes a lot of my concern out of the equation.

Doug

• Like 1