single cabins on HAL ships

barbarainva

The ships involved are Koningsdam, Nieuw Statendam, and the latest addition Rotterdam. They are the only HAL ships that have single cabins. I have been in the same solo cabin (1012) on Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam and I'm scheduled to occupy the same cabin on Rotterdam later. It is very convenient to the Music Walk, but the sound really doesn't carry down except in the stair case.

I didn't notice excessive movement, but honestly that doesn't bother me as I have been in forward cabins on several ships. The cabins are set up pretty well.

Koningsdam pictures at https://halfacts.com/pinnacle-class/1012-koningsdam/

Nieuw Statendam pictures at https://halfacts.com/pinnacle-class/1012-nieuw-statendam/

• Like 3

I didn't even realize they had single cabins.  I'll have to check the pricing. 

My current favorite cabins (not on the newer ships) is the J class insides.  Had one on Zuiderdam and have one booked for NA (hoping we actually sail in December).  But if the price is right, I'll have to look for them in the future.

I have had a comparable cabin on Carnival.  It's classified as a 1A meaning it holds 2 but has 2 separate beds that don't convert.  The cabin I had actually had a single bed and a convertible sofa.  Porthole windows.  It was very spacious for a solo cruiser.  My issue with that (I was on a sailing from Norfolk to Bermuda) was that there was some very, very loud noise from the waves hitting the hull.  Loud enough that it woke me repeatedly with banging like a large steel door slamming over and over.  Not restful!  Other than that, great cabin! 😄

I've booked one of the "studio" cabins on NCL Bliss and I'm not sure how I'll do in a cabin that high and that far forward, even though they aren't all the way forward.  It's for a TA, so I'm hoping for smooth sailing.  But that's two years from now.  Who knows what we'll be doing by then!

33 minutes ago, NCTribeFan said:

I didn't even realize they had single cabins.  I'll have to check the pricing. 

The pricing started out as a very good deal when Koningsdam first entered the fleet. Now, not so much. It is still a bit better but if you like a different area of the ship, maybe not worth the slight discount.

One sample fare - Mexico 7 days out of San Diego on Koningsdam

Solo - $1,171

Obstructed Outside - $1,223

Unobstructed Outside - $1,311

Priced on 3/13/21 at 7:40am

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 1

@richwmn, thanks for the links to the solo cabin photos.  Those look like nicely laid out cabins.  I've been wondering about them.  

@NCTribeFan, I've stayed in several of those 1A cabins on Carnival.  Good spacious cabins for solos.  I'm familiar with the noise you're talking about.  We hit some rough weather and waves on our way across the Pacific to Hawaii.  

For those that sail solo, we know pricing is all over the place.  A designated single cabin isn't always the best fare or value.  

I stayed in 1011, the largest single cabin on Koningsdam for three weeks when it was new.  They are set up exactly like a standard inside cabin with same bathroom, closets and storage as all cabins unless a larger suite.   The bed is larger than a single more an American size double tucked under the window.   Very cozy.  The difference in size of these rooms is in floor space and would be very tight in smaller ones. 

Crew quarters are immediately forward and there was a lot of foot traffic and conversation at all hours.  Not a real problem for me but could be.  As well,  bow thruster and anchor chain noise surprisingly loud.   No early morning sleeping on port days. 

Overall too far forward for me.  This is a big boat and a its a long hike to most things.  It was a good price then but a regular outside single price now seems a better deal.

Enjoy your cruise.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Roz said:

For those that sail solo, we know pricing is all over the place.  A designated single cabin isn't always the best fare or value. 

Definitely true. Best to look at a number of options. The differential might be surprisingly little.

• Like 1

Lazey1 -  I doubt anything could be moved  There is a little space between bed and the wall under the window.   The nightstand has all the plugs and lights on the wall on the other side so its pretty much a fixed position.   As long as there's enough floor space you could ask but really not necessary.  The rooms are really very comfortable and the only reason I would not stay in one again is the location and potentially the price.

• Like 1

If the price is comparable, I'd prefer a regular inside anyway.  I love inside cabins for sleeping.  So, for me, I'll be comparing the solo OV to an IS as a solo.  Those "square" inside J cabins are great.  So spacious and loved the layout. But I realize those aren't on every ship.  Still, I've never had an issue with space when sailing solo.  The more room I have, the more mess I make by leaving my stuff all over!

• Like 3

My question is...Do you have to know someone to get one of the single cabins?  No matter how far in advance I look they are always sold out.  I do realize there are a limited number but I’ve even checked the farthest date out I could and nada.

11 hours ago, Reagan0712 said:

My question is...Do you have to know someone to get one of the single cabins?  No matter how far in advance I look they are always sold out.  I do realize there are a limited number but I’ve even checked the farthest date out I could and nada.

Keep a list of the precise room numbers and type some in directly (one at a time) rather than use the deck plan graphic. The HAL booking site will let you know if any of those rooms are available. Then you can either quickly book it yourself or pass the room number to your agent.

25 minutes ago, Cruise4food said:

Keep a list of the precise room numbers and type some in directly (one at a time) rather than use the deck plan graphic. The HAL booking site will let you know if any of those rooms are available. Then you can either quickly book it yourself or pass the room number to your agent.

Thanks, however, they are never available. Ever. No matter how far in advance I try to book.  

43 minutes ago, Reagan0712 said:

Thanks, however, they are never available. Ever. No matter how far in advance I try to book.  

Not sure which cruises you are trying to book, but I just checked Koningsdam California Coastal for Oct / Nov and Oct 31 shows all singles booked while Nov 7 shows only 1 of 10 booked. YMMV

• 1 year later...

I was just told by my PCC that the 4 newest HAL ships don't have single cabins.  I even referenced them by their category OO. I mean, I know they're in high demand, but why would she lie to me? Told me I must be thinking of NCL or some other line. 😒

Have they been re-categorized since the pandemic or something? 

26 minutes ago, KitKatK said:

I was just told by my PCC that the 4 newest HAL ships don't have single cabins.  I even referenced them by their category OO. I mean, I know they're in high demand, but why would she lie to me? Told me I must be thinking of NCL or some other line. 😒

Have they been re-categorized since the pandemic or something? 

Rotterdam has single cabins on main deck. Check category "AO"

Not all people manning the phones at any large organization are 'up to speed' on everything. As far as I know the solo cabins on the 3 newest ships (Koningsdam, Nieuw Statendam, and Rotterdam) still exist. I am in one in two months. The next oldest ship is a signature class and never had a solo cabin.

39 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Not all people manning the phones at any large organization are 'up to speed' on everything. As far as I know the solo cabins on the 3 newest ships (Koningsdam, Nieuw Statendam, and Rotterdam) still exist. I am in one in two months. The next oldest ship is a signature class and never had a solo cabin.

This is not just some random person manning the phones. This is my personal cruise consultant. Shouldn't they know all there is to know about HAL's ships?

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, richwmn said:

rotterdam-deck-01.png.image.4540.896.lowThe solo cabins are all the way forward and are category 'OO', not 'AO'.

As I said in my initial post, I know the single cabin category is 'OO' and even mentioned that to her, yet she denied it outright. "I must be thinking of another cruise line."  If you're uncertain about something, you should at least offer to look into it further. Don't just outright lie to me. I guess I won't be using her in the future...

50 minutes ago, KitKatK said:

This is not just some random person manning the phones. This is my personal cruise consultant. Shouldn't they know all there is to know about HAL's ships?

shouldn't they know? that answer is yes. but even in the ranks of the PCC there is a varying amount of knowledge and to some extent caring. all too often a CSR takes the quick answer rather than verifying. As I also mentioned, your PCC mentioned the newest four ships, which cover two classes of ship.

There are still two cabins available on the Rotterdam TA for next April. 

I thought about booking one, but I opted to go with my usual interior.  I don't need a window and didn't want something that far forward on a N Atlantic crossing in the spring.  Just in case it isn't smooth sailing. 

The PCC may have been confused about which ships.  It's the Pinnacle class only.

6 hours ago, NCTribeFan said:

There are still two cabins available on the Rotterdam TA for next April. 

I thought about booking one, but I opted to go with my usual interior.  I don't need a window and didn't want something that far forward on a N Atlantic crossing in the spring.  Just in case it isn't smooth sailing. 

The PCC may have been confused about which ships.  It's the Pinnacle class only.

I wish I could say she was confused, but she said "Holland America has no single cabins. You must be thinking of NCL." So she means not on the entire line. 

I was right at the front on the Veendam.  It was awful. Banging all nite long. Will never do a forward cabin again.   My friend said that she would never cruise again she was so distressed.