Princess Cruises change passage of contract

X5RAY

20 hours ago, SHIP TRAVELER said:

It is my understanding that US Medicare also is not good outside of the country.

My health insurance from my employer became a Medicare supplement policy once I was eligible for Medicare.  The supplement pays the Medicare co-pays so whenever Medicare approves and pays, the policy must pick up the difference.  I was concerned that since Medicare wouldn't cover me outside the US, that my supplemental policy wouldn't cover anything either.  I contacted the insurance company and they advised me that if it is for treatments outside the US, they will cover the costs.  I would have to pay the cost of obtaining a certified translation of the bills if they are in another language.  We actually used this coverage when DW came ill on a 15 day cruise and had about 5 visits to sick bay.

You might want to check with your insurer if you have a Medicare supplement.  It worked for us!

22 hours ago, SHIP TRAVELER said:

It is my understanding that US Medicare also is not good outside of the country.

If you have a Medicare Advantage policy (https://www.medicare.gov/sign-up-change-plans/types-of-medicare-health-plans/medicare-advantage-plans), you are usually covered anywhere in the world.  Basic Medicare does not cover outside the US.  I have Kaiser Senior Advantage, and they cover anywhere, including medical evacuation (reimbursable).

Advantage policies are where they integrate with Medicare, and do all the billing and claims seamlessly.  You just pay your copay.

Supplemental plans frequently (not all) require double billing:  Medicare first, then the Supplemental picks up the rest after your copay.

Edited by pcur
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, dog said:

Please share what company, type of Policy you bought. What Province?

For those who asked... we are in Ontario and have a Group plan that we belong to. Allianz were the underwriters that covered our costs on the 28 days in Lima. For cancellation we have some but not enough for big trips so we also purchase top up insurance from either TIPS/RBC --- the only two we could find that did top up. Most companies want you to cover the whole cost with them.

Just an FYI -- we never knew what the hospital costs were not the air ambulance costs. Once my husband was in hospital Allianz took direct control of treatment and working with doctors there. We felt we got outstanding care in Lima-- although no one spoke English where we were. What we did pay up front however, was about $20,000 -- that was for care on ship, 5 hr ambulance ride ($1700 US in cash), my hotel, meals, etc, 17 days we missed at the end of cruise, etc -- it sure added up! It was about 5 months for all the reimbursement to us was complete. We were very pleased with the outcome and my husband was fine after a number of months of outpatient treatment here at home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many US credit cards include trip cancellation and interruption coverage.  That's why the only travel insurance I buy is evacuation, since I would have to pay for that upfront, then get reimbursed.  Southwest has a reasonably priced annual evacuation only policy, which I will buy if I ever start traveling again!!!

https://www.myeaplus.com/southwestairlines#Services?clk=SITESEARCH

BTW -- I want to mention that Princess was outstanding throughout our problems. Either Dave or Don from Princess called us at the hospital every 2-3 days to see how we were doing and answer any questions we might have. Both were great! We had been very happy with our medical onboard. The fall had occurred on a private tour in Puerto Montt, Chile and had seemed quite innocuous at the time -- just a trip caused by his toe catching the edge on a protruding rock. So Princess had no responsibility for any of it. Nonetheless they continued to call right up until we came home. It was very much appreciated! Best piece of advice they gave: do not agree to pay for anything that your medical insurance won't cover, no matter how inexpensive, ie $100 for an extra therapy. If you do, it may void your policy!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have just 1 cruise w/o insurance but that's a California Coastal. If removed from ship I'll have a son or daughter drive down & get us (booted off for breaking out of pod) ..... or use my Covered California ins (health)

On 4/3/2021 at 9:11 AM, SHIP TRAVELER said:

Actually, you are incorrect. Fortunately, Supplement and Advantage Plans offer some international coverage. However, we purchase more because 50K may not go too far overseas.

On 4/2/2021 at 6:31 PM, SargassoPirate said:

It's likely because the UK and Canada have socialized health care that doesn't cover them outside of their own country.  I booked a cruise with P&O and had to show them proof of my US health insurance that covers me worldwide, as well as travel insurance.

I don’t see the change in the contracts for the cruises we have booked. They still say “recommend insurance” but it’s not required. In   Ontario our universal health care is called OHIP and it does cover out of country emergency medical care. The current provincial government tried to remove this coverage but this was challenged in court and they had to reinstate it. However, most people get additional coverage for out of country medical care as OHIP does not cover 100% of the costs. 

3 hours ago, Ombud said:

I have just 1 cruise w/o insurance but that's a California Coastal. If removed from ship I'll have a son or daughter drive down & get us (booted off for breaking out of pod) ..... or use my Covered California ins (health)

Might be of interest to others: apparently one cruise company (

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5996/?cache=reset&et_cid=3419140&et_rid=255153109&et_referrer=Boards - CC-US) permits vaccinated cruisers to DIY so I won't be breaking the rules 

6 hours ago, Ombud said:

Might be of interest to others: apparently one cruise company (

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5996/?cache=reset&et_cid=3419140&et_rid=255153109&et_referrer=Boards - CC-US) permits vaccinated cruisers to DIY so I won't be breaking the rules 

Not a really ground breaking announcement.

a) The cruise starts/ends in the Bahamas, so passengers have to travel outside of any bubble to get to the ship on embarkation day and from the ship at the end of the cruise.

b) The only ports visited will be in the same country, the Bahamas, the country they were not in any bubble getting to the ship and from it.

Basically it is the country (The Bahamas) that is allowing the passengers to tour as they want.

Also:

As of January 25, 2021, the U.S. State Department advises Americans to reconsider travel to the Bahamas "due to health and safety measures and COVID-related conditions" and also encourages travelers to exercise caution in some areas of the country due to crime. Meanwhile, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Travel Health Notice for the destination due to COVID-19, advising Americans to get tested one to three days before their trip and to wear a mask, wash their hands often, maintain distance from people outside of their travel group and monitor their health for signs of illness. 

Travel Requirements

Travelers visiting the Bahamas will need to secure a negative COVID-19 RT-PCR (nasal swab) test taken no more than five days prior to their arrival date. With a negative test in hand, travelers must apply for the Bahamas Travel Health Visa at travel.gov.bs and opt-in to the COVID-19 health insurance, the cost of which is included in the travel health visa application fee. Children age 10 and under as well as pilots and commercial airline crew members who remain overnight are not required to take a COVID-19 test.

Travelers should keep in mind that the Bahamas Travel Health Visa application takes up to 48 hours to process. Visitors staying in the Bahamas for longer than four nights and five days are also required to take a rapid COVID-19 antigen test on day five. The cost of the rapid antigen test is included with the Bahamas Travel Health Visa and paid in advance of travel. Meanwhile, those staying less than four nights and five days can expect to pay $25 for a rapid test, which yields results provided electronically by SMS text message and email in 60 minutes or less.

https://www.travelpulse.com/gallery/destinations/bahamas-travel-restrictions-latest-advice-entry-requirements-for-tourists.html?image=3