Taxi from Port Everglades to FLL

Turk1

Are the taxi's readily available from the Port to the airport or is there a long wait time? Not sure if it is best to use a taxi or the Princess transfers. Looking at either an 11:45 AM flight or 3PM flight. I know FLL is close to Port. Thanks!

Taxi's have been plentiful . I have been doing Uber or Lyft the last few years. Less expensive and there is a deignated pickup area. FLL is so close that a taxi is not that expensive though if you don't know how to Uber. An 11:45 flight is fine. I have been booking any flight after 11:00.

Edited by Charles4515

Pre Covid, the number of taxis at Port Everglades will amaze you. Many discussions here that taxi was always the easiest way to go port to airport. 

Post Covid, it's too soon to tell. Plus add in any new procedures on getting off the ship, Covid related.

Princess transfers would be the most expensive option by far since they charge per person.  Port Everglades and the airport are almost contiguous - only a highway separates the southwest side of the port from the northeast side of the airport.  As for timing, you will have to call for Uber or Lyft and wait (usually) only a few minutes.  Taxis are normally lined up outside the terminal but may cost a few dollars more. 

As CruiserBruce notes, right now all bets are off on whether the disembarkation procedures and, therefore, timing will change when cruising resumes.  I would err on the side of caution if you are making reservations before the first cruises give us an idea of how disembarkation will proceed.  Personally I would add a couple of hours to the pre-pandemic recommendations of flights 11 am or later so I would chose the 3 pm flight.

Edited by capriccio
  • Like 1

I would choose the later flight to be safe with whatever screening/disembarkation procedures are in place when you cruise.  If you wind up with a few  hours to kill you can store your bags at the airport for a fee and then head out for a boozy lunch.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, capriccio said:

As CruiserBruce notes, right now all bets are off on whether the disembarkation procedures and, therefore, timing will change when cruising resumes.  I would err on the side of caution if you are making reservations before the first cruises give us an idea of how disembarkation will proceed.  Personally I would add a couple of hours to the pre-pandemic recommendations of flights 11 am or later so I would chose the 3 pm flight.

I agree with this advice.

When disembarkation begins, there is an ample taxi line-up.  Later in the disembarkation period, at least in the area of Piers 21-25-26, I have witnessed long lines of guests waiting for a taxi.  

8 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Later in the disembarkation period, at least in the area of Piers 21-25-26, I have witnessed long lines of guests waiting for a taxi.  

We experienced that once when arriving at Pier 21 but not the other couple of times we've disembarked there.  OP is on a Princess cruise and, if they are the only Princess ship in port that day, they will dock at pier 2.  We've never had an issue with getting a taxi there.  If there are other Princess ships in port they also use piers 4 and 21 most commonly.  It seems to me that when there are multiple Princess ships, the newest Royal class ship gets pier 2.

Added:  OP if you haven't found the official Port Everglades website yet, check it out:  www.portverglades.net.

Edited by capriccio

8 minutes ago, capriccio said:

OP is on a Princess cruise and, if they are the only Princess ship in port that day, they will dock at pier 2.  We've never had an issue with getting a taxi there. 

I have docked at Pier 2 as well as Pier 4.  A Royal Class ship was at Pier 2; the Volendam had to dock at Pier 4.  At that time, there was a short wait for a taxi.  When no ship was at Pier 4, getting off Royal Princess, there was a double line-up of taxis waiting for customers.  

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Never experienced that at FLL. Have had it happen elsewhere.

Some drivers would not turn on the meter and "quote" a flat rate fare of whatever they thought they could get away with. On the meter it should be about $15+

Thanks to everyone for the info. When we first started cruising with Princess we would opt for the Princess transfers. Usually get the Hotel/Transfer package. But on our last few we would do our own Hotel and use Taxi's since it was less expensive and we knew what we were doing. Figure if we can do that in Barcelona and Sydney we can do it in Fort Lauderdale. Like everyone else not sure what the "new" process will be so we would go with later flights I'm sure. Just be glad when the CDC wakes up and we can all get back to cruising once more.