Travel Insurance - Will it cover a Level 4 country?

Barry ATL

Princess is offering their "branded" travel insurance and many of us get independent insurance.  At the beginning of the pandemic I watched a lot of YouTube bloggers who traveled the world make a bee line back to the states before everything closed and the main reason was their travel insurance would not be valid in a country the State Department advised travel restrictions.

So, as as an example, the Bahamas is a level 4 travel advisory with the State Department.  Will our travel insurance be valid going there to catch a cruise?  Would the Princess insurance be valid?  (I know Princess is not sailing from a Caribbean port yet, but I am being forward thinking here)

Why aren't you asking your insurance company?  This is what I did last spring when we were in FL (we were covered until the expiry date, but they wouldn't cover Covid-19 after that).  I inquired again before we went down this Winter for two months.  Some carriers cover any Covid-19 illness NP, and others don't.  I found it was pretty universal that they wouldn't cover trip cancellation expenses (was not a concern to us).  We were covered NP and I also extended for a few extra days while in FL.

Of course, it is going to be different depending on your carrier and your policy, but I really think you ought to be asking your company.

2 hours ago, Barry ATL said:

Princess is offering their "branded" travel insurance and many of us get independent insurance.  At the beginning of the pandemic I watched a lot of YouTube bloggers who traveled the world make a bee line back to the states before everything closed and the main reason was their travel insurance would not be valid in a country the State Department advised travel restrictions.

So, as as an example, the Bahamas is a level 4 travel advisory with the State Department.  Will our travel insurance be valid going there to catch a cruise?  Would the Princess insurance be valid?  (I know Princess is not sailing from a Caribbean port yet, but I am being forward thinking here)

are you asking about trip cancellation insurance?

travel medical insurance? 

contact your agency, TA to get answers for your situation 

I agree with Essiesmom you can also post your insurance questions on Cruise/Travel Insurance forum.  

If you have insurance provider why not call the company an ask what’s covered.

Cruise Discussion Topics – “Cruise/Travel Insurance” forum will provide a more robust functionality for your questions, comments and/or suggestions.

John

• Thanks 1

It’s a good question to ask before you buy insurance.  Is that why you are asking, OP?  
Are you wondering if coverage is valid.  It’s  a timely question with the announcements this week of so many countries now on the Do Not Travel list. 
Like the Bahamas..

The US State Dept Level 4 doesn't forbid one from traveling. They are simply advisories that tell you what you might encounter. Here's the list from https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/about-our-new-products.html

Level 1 - Exercise Normal Precautions: This is the lowest advisory level for safety and security risk. There is some risk in any international travel. Conditions in other countries may differ from those in the United States and may change at any time.       

Level 2 - Exercise Increased Caution: Be aware of heightened risks to safety and security. The Department of State provides additional advice for travelers in these areas in the Travel Advisory. Conditions in any country may change at any time.  

Level 3 - Reconsider Travel: Avoid travel due to serious risks to safety and security. The Department of State provides additional advice for travelers in these areas in the Travel Advisory. Conditions in any country may change at any time. 

Level 4 – Do Not Travel: This is the highest advisory level due to greater likelihood of life-threatening risks. During an emergency, the U.S. government may have very limited ability to provide assistance. The Department of State advises that U.S. citizens not travel to the country or to leave as soon as it is safe to do so. The Department of State provides additional advice for travelers in these areas in the Travel Advisory. Conditions in any country may change at any time.

I hope this helps,

Steve Dasseos

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2021 at 1:55 PM, iamtrustworthy said:

The US State Dept Level 4 doesn't forbid one from traveling. They are simply advisories that tell you what you might encounter. Here's the list from https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/about-our-new-products.html

Level 1 - Exercise Normal Precautions: This is the lowest advisory level for safety and security risk. There is some risk in any international travel. Conditions in other countries may differ from those in the United States and may change at any time.       

Level 2 - Exercise Increased Caution: Be aware of heightened risks to safety and security. The Department of State provides additional advice for travelers in these areas in the Travel Advisory. Conditions in any country may change at any time.  

Level 3 - Reconsider Travel: Avoid travel due to serious risks to safety and security. The Department of State provides additional advice for travelers in these areas in the Travel Advisory. Conditions in any country may change at any time. 

Level 4 – Do Not Travel: This is the highest advisory level due to greater likelihood of life-threatening risks. During an emergency, the U.S. government may have very limited ability to provide assistance. The Department of State advises that U.S. citizens not travel to the country or to leave as soon as it is safe to do so. The Department of State provides additional advice for travelers in these areas in the Travel Advisory. Conditions in any country may change at any time.

I hope this helps,

Steve Dasseos

Steve, thanks for the response.  I think I need to explain a little more.  When Covid first hit, all of the YouTube travelers were in a hurry to get home.  Several of them stated that if a country is "Do Not Travel" by the State Department, their travel (medical) insurance would not be valid in that country.  I have seen that in the fine print of some of the travel policies I have looked at over the years.

I am thinking about the Bahamas being listed as Level 4 and cruises are leaving out of Nassau.  If one from the USA were to book a cruise that leaves out of Nassau, would we be covered?

On 5/3/2021 at 8:53 PM, Barry ATL said:

Steve, thanks for the response.  I think I need to explain a little more.  When Covid first hit, all of the YouTube travelers were in a hurry to get home.  Several of them stated that if a country is "Do Not Travel" by the State Department, their travel (medical) insurance would not be valid in that country.  I have seen that in the fine print of some of the travel policies I have looked at over the years.

I am thinking about the Bahamas being listed as Level 4 and cruises are leaving out of Nassau.  If one from the USA were to book a cruise that leaves out of Nassau, would we be covered?

Hi Barry,

I can't say what all policies cover because there are so many I don't work with for good reasons, but the plans I know best will cover you.

I wrote about this on my Blog last week. You may find it helpful:

https://tripinsurancestore.com/blog/is-a-us-state-dept-level-4-warning-a-covered-reason-to-cancel-my-trip/

Steve

3 hours ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi Barry,

I can't say what all policies cover because there are so many I don't work with for good reasons, but the plans I know best will cover you.

I wrote about this on my Blog last week. You may find it helpful:

https://tripinsurancestore.com/blog/is-a-us-state-dept-level-4-warning-a-covered-reason-to-cancel-my-trip/

Steve

Thanks Steve!